testtest

Skills Check....Distance Shooting

Bra-VO!

I cannot understand people who only practice out to 7 yards or so, using the logic of “that’s where most defensive shoots happen”.

And I love hitting a 6” steel at 25 yards with a 2” snub...I’ve won more than a little money from people who say I can’t do it.

Maybe more from people who say I can’t hit a 12” gong at 50...

Like you Hans, I just love shooting at longer distances with a small ccw type guns, just to see how far I can actually shoot said guns. Plus, I like the challenge of trying to hit those far targets...lol

The other thing about it is that it’s incredibly confidence building...

If I can make hits at 50 yards...50 feet is gonna be a lot easier under pressure.

Making hits at range also means you’ve got your fundamentals down...because that slight tightening of your grip that only throws you off 1” at seven yards is gonna be a whole lot more at 25...

When I still had my Kel-Tec PF9 I could hit a 6" gong at 50 yards with 50% of the rounds in my magazine. The misses weren't by much. As the stranger who was watching me said , " I wouldn't want to be standing down there.

When I started shooting my first handgun I was shooting at 25 yards mostly because I didn't know any better. That was where I sighted in my .22 rifle so I went with it for the handgun too. :)

Very good article and informative. There is a lot of good information about this online. With what was said and I am speaking on my behalf, I shoot and train for any situation I may encounter. I posted pictures of my range. As stated it is 7,10,15,25,50,100 and 450 yards. With that being said most encounters will happen at a close distance. I said most, not all which is why I shoot at 25 and 50 yards. A big factor in shooting which I can tell by reading most post on here is not just shooting from a bench but shooting on the move and drawing from your holster. Practice your reloads and shoot behind cover, as I said you don’t know what situation you will encounter. You may have a guy from 100 yards that says I’m coming to hold you up (exaggerating), but seriously this is another reason why a good holster comes into play and why I am an advocate of carrying “hot”.
I won’t go on a rant here, but the short of it is, which again most of you may know, you have someone come on you with a gun/knife whatever and you have to draw THEN chamber a round those seconds WILL be the difference between life or death, especially when you need one hand to fend him off and the other to draw your weapon. I know all about the sights that you can use to rack your slide with, but when you are in a tussle try racking your slide on the ground or even your holster with those sights. https://www.tierthreetactical.com/1...ats-backed-by-data-and-real-world-experience/

Back