testtest

Sling School

A while back I wrote an article regarding slings and I'd like to spread the knowledge here too. Everyone is going to have their preference for different brands and types of slings but for the most part a lot of the techniques are cross compatible it will just come down to practice.

Sling designs have advanced considerably in the past 100 years but the fundamental principles that make them effective as shooting aids have remained the same. To explore some of these fundamentals I think the best place to start is by using a sling as an example that is designed for the purpose of supporting the rifle for shooting. For better or worse, modern precision rifle slings can trace their lineage back to the M1907 sling and the techniques taught by the likes of Townsend Whelen. However, slings now have more features that make them versatile and able to adapt to different rifles and shooting conditions.

Looping Up

Using a sling in the traditional sense as a shooting aid means using a loop created by the sling to pass your through and then using body mechanics and sling tension to stabilize the rifle. That's a simplistic way to describe the process but modern slings do make it easier to utilize this method.

If the sling is mounted to the underside of the rifle you need to turn the sling to set up the loop properly. Pass your arm through and get it up as high as you can on your bicep. If the sling is mounted to the right side, passing under the forend, there's no need to turn the sling.

8.jpg

Push out on the rifle and tighten the loop.

9.jpg

When done right the webbing should lay flat across the back of the hand as you lightly grasp the stock, no need for white knuckling it. When tensioned properly you should be able to drop your strong-side arm, leaving the rifle still supported in the pocket of the shoulder. This amount of tension is a little nuanced but you want enough tension where you have to push forward slightly before the sling wants to pull it right back into your shoulder. If it's too tight, you're going to have to force it the whole way and you might not be able to get into a good shooting position without it being painful.

Bone support is vital, especially in the sitting or kneeling positions. It helps to lean forward to get the shoulders forward of the hips and put your elbow forward of the support side knee. In the field use a rear bag, extra jacket, or even your pack to fill in some of the gaps between your body and the ground. It might take some experimentation to find what works out best for you but something as simple as putting a rear bag under your right foot in the kneeling can make a world of difference.
2.JPG

Across the Back

This is a down and dirty method that can be used with carbine slings and similar ones from Armageddon Gear, TAB Gear, and Rifles only that are fast adjusting and/or have some bungee action to them. It’s effective when you are carrying the rifle in a patrol carry fashion and need some stability quick, fast, and in a hurry. From the patrol carry all you need to do is get into a shooting position, tighten the running end, and let the tension pull across your back to the front of the rifle. I've used this method countless times from a variety of obstacles and not only is it very fast to bring to bear and it's also pretty stable. To gain some more stability using this method I also like to push my support arm out, sometimes against the front of the buckle and rotate my elbow inwards slightly to put more pressure on the sling. This helps draw the rifle down a bit more and I've found that it works well to help steady the reticle just before I break a shot. If you are using this method in a standing position, it will help to square up to the target, spread your legs about shoulder width apart, and lock your knees out while leaning forward slightly.

3.JPG

Wojcik Method

I first saw what came to be the Wojcik Method in an article by Caylen in one of the first Guns & Ammo Sniper magazines . What I like about this technique is that it’s simple and easy to adapt to multiple sling designs. Essentially, what you are going to do is pull the sling up as high as you can behind the tricep of your firing arm so that it runs from the rear sling swivel around your arm and to the front of the gun. Now, if your sling is adjustable, tighten it up so that you feel the sling pulling the rifle back into your shoulder, for some more tension you can also pull your elbow back if need be. Like I said, this method works across many different slings from precision rifle slings to hunting slings and works great off of tripods, shooting sticks, or even natural obstacles like logs or boulders.

6.JPG
5.JPG

Hunting Slings

Just because most hunting slings are simple carrying straps doesn’t meant that they can’t be used as shooting aids in a pinch. You can easily use the Wojcik technique with a properly adjusted hunting sling or even the trusty hasty sling technique. If you are going to use a hunting sling as a shooting aid my word of advice is to practice with your rifle beforehand so that you know where the sling is adjusted properly and you are used to getting into the position quickly. There’s no metric for what the proper adjustment length is going to be since that is going to vary person to person.

Wrapping it Up…. No Pun Intended

I know I wasn’t able to cover every type of sling but I think I've shown some good techniques to use with a sling. Its effectiveness is going to be entirely up to you and how much you work with the sling to get that accuracy at distance. Simply buying a shooting sling and playing with it once or twice will not make it an effective tool.

I wanted to follow up on the above with some traditional shooting positions that I use more often than not.

Sitting

I can't do the traditional Indian-style sitting position with a rifle so I use two variations: A spread legs sitting and a crossed ankles sitting position.

I use crossed ankles if I'm shooting across a relatively flat piece of terrain. I can make small elevation changes by bringing my feet in or pushing them out some. Notice that my support arm elbow is forward of my knee, my right elbow is more or less in the crook of my right knee.

11.JPG

12.JPG

In steeper terrain I'll use an open legs sitting position because it allows me more flexibility in making elevation changes, while still being stable.

15.JPG

Traditional Kneeling

13.JPG

14.JPG

^ Thank you!

At some point, I'm going to have to buckle-down and get going on long(er)-distance stuff. That said, even a novice like me was able to see/feel the advantages that "slinging up" can give, at just the 100 yard line.

I'm still somewhat awkward with slings, even in terms of carrying/using them in the make-belief-ninja sense of weapons-manipulation based carbine (AR) classes. I've finally gotten comfortable with having one around my body/neck, but just to show you how much of a beginner I am at this, it wasn't until just a year ago that I learned how to sling the rifle around my back, transitioning it from being on the front. 😊

I'm going to bring my laptop with me on my next range outing, and give those techniques a try, for-sure. One of my favorite local instructors did a sting at Rifles Only, and he's getting his own range ready for some long-range stuff this coming year, so I need to bone-up on my self-directed study and do some serious homework! :)

Ok, so talking about carbine slings and set up a little bit... I use push button QD swivels on just about all of my slings and at the rear I always mount it on the outboard side (right) with the front connected to the left side of the handguard. Where it's connected along the handguard depends honestly, for example the HD rifle has the front mount mounted closer to the barrel nut. This is so that the sling doesn't interfere with my hand if I need to activate the weaponlight. With the sling mounting point on the outboard side at the rear, this facilitates an easier transition to the opposite shoulder without excessively strangling yourself.

^ Yup, that's where I'm at, for the time being. :)

And the "where to mount that forward swivel" question/answer that you gave was spot-on for me. Same for the rear.

Sling is a TAB Carbine Sling with a PIG Universal Pad for comfort. It's just hung necklace fashion for some versatility in movement/manipulations: the house is pretty close-range, even at its farthest (I think the longest distance that was configured for us in the house that weekend was ~45 yards).

Before Night 1.jpg

Before Night 2.jpg

^ Excuse the useless redundant handstops on the handguard. They've been removed since, after taking on a verbal challenge from a much more experienced classmate. :) The scope has also since moved back a bit, too, to allow for better consistency cheeking: again, from someone's words, just like yours. :)

Thank you again for lending us your wisdom! It is appreciated!

Last edited:
So you were talking about feeling the advantages at just 100 yards and truth be told a sling can be useful at just about any distance, especially if you have to take an accurate shot. I shoot 2-gun matches locally and one of the rules is that you have to have a sling on the rifle and the rifle slung during the course of fire. There have been stages where you start out standing and have to engage a plate rack at 50-75 yards, which sounds easy until the beep. I'll sling up for those stages, tightening the sling to pull tension across my back so that when I bring the gun up, I'm pushing out with my support arm and the sling is pulling the rifle back into my shoulder. For me it works very well.

^ Again, THANK YOU! For the advice and tips! :)

I'm really looking to start handgun competitions locally this spring/summer (after some 7+ years of saying that I ought to do it, the opportunity has finally truly presented itself via someone I met from a training class this past weekend).

I'm hoping that the instructor I spoke of above (Andrew Blubaugh, of Apex Shooting and Tactics - https://apexshooting.com/about/) will run one of his "Find your limit" AR15-based classes this season, as that will both allow me to stretch well beyond my comfort zone (I've never shot distance, and I know I am weak with positions), and perhaps give me enough kick to look at "2-gun."

My daughter is also getting to the point where she's more comfortable shooting with others, and I think we'll finally be able to take advantage of the Appleseed tickets that my buddy gifted us years ago.

As I wrote above, I'm going to dry and live-fire practice the techniques you've showed us in this wonderful thread - do some homework to prepare for these two outings that I hope I'll see sooner rather than later! :)

I started using the sling for stability and control, especially when standing! Bicept to elbow placement and shoulder tension for quick and steady movement. Lots of info and much needed. I haven't tried any of the other positions, but this gives me more insight. Thanks for the write!

Back