testtest

So which gun platform is now unlawful to own?

Really, excuse my complete ignorance... gun ownership is really new to me, only in the last 5 years have I purchased firearms. Born a city boy in the foster care system till 18 never fired a gun in my life till I joined the Army, where they gave me a M16 and a M1911 and taught me how to use it.

Then in law enforcement for 20+ years they told me what I could buy and carry. (Was mainly the DUI guy, then K9 for over 10 years, then marine unit... so no need for special weapons.) Now after retiring 5 years ago is when my love for firearms started. I went from having 3 pistols (Springfield XD .40's all for duty, and a bought from the department Rock River AR15) to over 12 handguns and 15 long guns, including what are called pistols but not the pistol I know.

Now I know my Springfield M1A and original Springfield Saint are legal. But I wonder about some of my others. I'm pretty sure my Springfield Saint pistols both in 5.56 and .308 are unauthorized without form 1. (Now is form 1 because it's a short barrel or because they are pistol braces?)

I'm guessing my brand-new Daniel Defense DDM4V7p (P for pistol) and my DDM4 PDW are now unauthorized? Again, I'm guessing they are illegal because of the pistol braces, or from the short barrels now. Again form 1?

Just weird that I can legally buy all these guns in the last 5 years and all of a sudden, they are all illegal... what a F'd up system we have. And to get the form 1 for all at $200 a piece will be almost 2k.

Just FYI. I know I posted similar questions in another thread about the law, but I didn't want to derail that thread with my ignorance. Thanks.

Really, excuse my complete ignorance... gun ownership is really new to me, only in the last 5 years have I purchased firearms. Born a city boy in the foster care system till 18 never fired a gun in my life till I joined the Army, where they gave me a M16 and a M1911 and taught me how to use it.

Then in law enforcement for 20+ years they told me what I could buy and carry. (Was mainly the DUI guy, then K9 for over 10 years, then marine unit... so no need for special weapons.) Now after retiring 5 years ago is when my love for firearms started. I went from having 3 pistols (Springfield XD .40's all for duty, and a bought from the department Rock River AR15) to over 12 handguns and 15 long guns, including what are called pistols but not the pistol I know.

Now I know my Springfield M1A and original Springfield Saint are legal. But I wonder about some of my others. I'm pretty sure my Springfield Saint pistols both in 5.56 and .308 are unauthorized without form 1. (Now is form 1 because it's a short barrel or because they are pistol braces?)

I'm guessing my brand-new Daniel Defense DDM4V7p (P for pistol) and my DDM4 PDW are now unauthorized? Again, I'm guessing they are illegal because of the pistol braces, or from the short barrels now. Again form 1?

Just weird that I can legally buy all these guns in the last 5 years and all of a sudden, they are all illegal... what a F'd up system we have. And to get the form 1 for all at $200 a piece will be almost 2k.

Just FYI. I know I posted similar questions in another thread about the law, but I didn't want to derail that thread with my ignorance. Thanks.
i'm just trying to keep up with my state and the rhetoric with our 10 round magazine ban, and possible "assault weapons" ban.

you do not mention what state YOU live in, so at the very least, start with your state house Bills, into or soon to go into debate?

what is still legal in one state, may be banned in 27 others.

It’s the short barrels & the braces. The braces were reclassified as stocks, so they are (in the eyes of the law) SBR’s.

Hopefully, you have removed the braces (and any rifle/carbine-type buffer tubes that the brace may have used) so that they actually ARE pistols; otherwise, you’ve got an unregistered short barreled rifle.

As for cost, well…it is what it is. You could have registered them for free during the amnesty, but that’s passed.

Providing that your state doesn't prohibit owning an AR platform, to be legal in the eyes of the feds you must either take off the braces or take off the braces and apply to BATF to put stocks on them which would make them short barreled rifles under NFA. The other option would be to put on a longer legal barrel and then add a stock. The advantage for that option is the feds don't get involved because it is now a legal rifle.

First as @Old_Me states, it depends on your States laws (no matter how unconstitutional they are), that may ban guns like your AR Saint and M1a rifles. In several States (including mine), those AR pistols are still legal when sold without any brace or stock attached, and if now included you'd now have to do the SBR paperwork and pay the tax stamp before a LGS could then sell it to you. I'm still buying firearms classified as pistols (that previously would have came with brace attached). I recent bought a B&T APC9 Pro with 8" barrel whose end cap wasn't the normally sold sling swing swivel end cap, but one that I suspect was used for a pistol brace that was removed by the LGS before selling the firearm to me (due to the new ruling). I'm also still in the market for the Sig LT 300 BLK (9" barrel) which the LGS will sell without any brace/stock. At which point I can leave it alone and shoot as is, or form 1 it as an SBR which I'll then attach a stock to. All my braced pistols I bought like you when legal, have all the braces removed and discarded. Technically I could still have left them on as legally I'm covered by several court injunctions that were brought forth by 2A groups such as the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF), Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC), and Gun Owners of America (GOA). I'm a member of each and the injunction covers their members, but I still got rid of the braces because who knows what unconstitutional charges the ATF would bring against me with attached braces regardless. I'm waiting for the courts to eventually overturn this ruling (like the courts have for the firearm frame ruling (at least until the ATF appeals)), at which point I have the option of going out and buy new braces or go ahead and SBR the "few" pistol type firearms I posses. I'll just wait and let it play out in the courts.

Example: Here's a link to the Sig LT 300 BLK Pistols sold by Brownells. It comes with a stock included and noticed the restrictions state NFA required. Meaning that before I could take possession of this in its current configuration, I'd need to fill out the SBR form, get approved and pay tax stamp before taking possession at the LGS Brownells I'd have them transfered it to,

Thanks...

Florida, so it's all federal for me.

Yes, it's on me for not doing it during the grace period, to be honest I really thought my elected officials, the court system, and even the gun memberships I joined like the NRA... would have stopped this obvious non-sense from an overreaching federal government before it went into effect... but that's another thread. lol

And you guys seem knowledgeable... not everyone is. I've only disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled my guns. The only work I've ever done on any of my guns is add a sight and a light. I would have to look up and learn how to remove parts and frankly don't want too. I paid good money for my stuff. And note my signature... still believe that. Just trying to figure out what to do. As a long time, public servant and a long-time law-abiding citizen I want to do the right thing, but on the other hand I'm getting old and grumpy and thinking F government overreach. Just venting, thinking out loud. lol

And I did go to the ATF sight, those forms are ridiculous. And they want fingerprints and a photo for each application. Hell, they already have my fingerprints and picture on my 2 suppressor stamps. They don't make it easy do they... again redic. lol Government.

Sorry... really didn't mean to turn this into a long bitch session. I'm sure I'll do the right thing thou I disagree with it.

I'm just so tired of it all, not just the constant violations of our constitional rights, but the war on police, the lack of law and order, the broken political system on both sides, and the new woke America. I served my country then my community and too me it's all falling apart. I'm really glad that I'm looking at maybe 15 to 25 years more tops. lol

Thanks for the answers/advise.
;)

Sorry... really didn't mean to turn this into a long bitch session. I'm sure I'll do the right thing thou I disagree with it.

I'm just so tired of it all, not just the constant violations of our constitional rights, but the war on police, the lack of law and order, the broken political system on both sides, and the new woke America. I served my country then my community and too me it's all falling apart. I'm really glad that I'm looking at maybe 15 to 25 years more tops. lol

Thanks for the answers/advise.
;)

My advice. Remove pistol braces and wait until this is thrown out in court. Or join GOA or FPC or whatever groups have protection by the injunction and wait until it's thrown out in court.

The NRA just sued the atf like the other membership organizations and Maxim Defense did. The others already got injunctions (such as if you have a Maxium brace, you’re safe for now). Same with FPC & GOA members. All safe until the case is resolved. I wouldn’t worry about it until one of them goes to SCOTUS for a ruling as NRA is likely going to get an injunction also.

Back