testtest

speaks of us becoming complacent

I'm not a legal expert, but something doesn't strike me as kosher in this case. IMO 1) he should have remained in New Mexico, and 2) it shouldn't have taken a year to do the forensics on the gun on which the new indictment was based. What am I missing?
It didn't take a year to do the forensics. This latest is just the last in a long line of "Experts" to reconstruct the incident.

Does anybody know for certain whether this was an original Colt .45, or a modern reproduction? I don't think the originals had a hammer block but I do think the more modern repros did. Anybody know more than that?

There is no hammer block. Colt style SA revolvers have two extra stop notches in the hammer to prevent the the hammer from contacting the cartridge in the event it should slip. The safety notch and the half cock notch. The trigger must be pulled completely to the rear for it to clear the hammer to fire. This was covered in great detail when the incident occurred.
The latest test simply verified that the gun was in proper working order. Baldwin lied.

The wheels of justice turn slowly. Even slower when you can afford good lawyers.

OK, thanks. I'm not at all familiar with that particular revolver so please indulge me one more question. How far back could the hammer be pulled before it locks up in one (the first) notch. In other words, could the hammer be pulled far enough back without locking up to be released and the falling hammer have enough momentum to fire any cartridge that might be in the cylinder?

Actually I'm in a discussion/conversation with a couple others not familiar with that hand gun and we all would like to know.

Thanks, jj

I have some experience with original Colt Single Action 1873s and Italian replicas. Originals and the replicas that accurately operate like the originals have the "four click" hammers. First click is the safety notch, intended to prevent the firing pin from resting against a live primer. Second click releases the locking bolt from the cylinder for loading/reloading. Third click the locking bolt rises to engage the cylinder and hold it in place with the charge hole aligned with the barrel. Fourth is full cock and the hammer is ready to drop when the trigger is pulled.

Reports have not clarified to my satisfaction the actual revolver Baldwin discharged but I think it was a replica. As to how far the hammer would need to be back to active the primer depends on factors such as the sensitivity of the primer and the strength of the mainspring.

Note that for the cartridge to ignite regardless of hammer position, the trigger must be pulled to the rear for the hammer to fall. Unless the revolver has been modified. Some speculation is that it had been. I suspect the truth may never be known unless more information comes out in the trial. I think Baldwin bears the responsibility for the death of his videographer, but there was a chain of cascading mistakes that led to the end result. Live ammo on the set. Inexperienced armourer who failed to examine the ammunition. Baldwin pointed a firearm that even if loaded with blanks could have caused injury or death. Bunch a morons.

The first notch, safety notch, engages with very little hammer movement. When resting in the safety notch, there may be about 1/8" between the hammer and frame. Not nearly enough spring pressure there to set off a primer.

I think Baldwin bears the responsibility for the death of his videographer, but there was a chain of cascading mistakes that led to the end result.
I completely agree. But it was Baldwin who actually pulled the trigger.

Thank you both Inusuit and Grayfox ... you both basically said the same thing in response to my question, but this is the statement I was hoping/looking for: "When resting in the safety notch, there may be about 1/8" between the hammer and frame. Not nearly enough spring pressure there to set off a primer."

I was aware it would depend on the sensitivity of the primer and/or spring tension on the hammer, or both. I just wasn't sure if it was possible or not based on the design of that particular firearm.

Thanks again, jj.

What about the quick draw folks that pull the triggers prior to fanning the hammer? Not saying that's what happened in the Baldwin case because the trigger still has to pulled.

Back