testtest

Springfield Armory's VIS: Best New Red-Dot Mounting System?

I’m pleased that more manufacturers are going to direct mount, but I fear that we will have a future filled with each manufacturers “system” and all the bits that go with each. I personally like the system that FN uses on the 545/510 and 509 tactical that has self locking screws for the optics and doesn’t require Loctite.

I’m pleased that more manufacturers are going to direct mount, but I fear that we will have a future filled with each manufacturers “system” and all the bits that go with each. I personally like the system that FN uses on the 545/510 and 509 tactical that has self locking screws for the optics and doesn’t require Loctite.
None of them require LocTite. 😉😊

None of them require LocTite. 😉😊
Straight from the Holosun 507C X2 manual.
IMG_7019.jpeg

I always use a torque wrench, but that’s not been my experience with pistol red dots. and I run a lot of them. Just sayin’. Clearly your mileage varies.
Well, we can go over it again, but almost all manufacturers recommend blue Loctite or the equivalent. Probably because they want a little extra insurance and they probably don't expect most people to actually install them correctly using a torque wrench.

I seem to remember you installing at least one sans thread locker ? How is it faring ?

I've installed about 17 or so ( 14 on my own guns and 3 on other people's) using a torque wrench and no Loctite and mine are all still zeroed, tight and lined up with the witness marks I put on them.

Not totally true I guess though as a couple of them came with some blue on the thread tips and I didn't bother to remove it.

All mine are Holosuns ( or Sig, made by Holosun) for what that's worth.

Well, we can go over it again, but almost all manufacturers recommend blue Loctite or the equivalent. Probably because they want a little extra insurance and they probably don't expect most people to actually install them correctly using a torque wrench.

I seem to remember you installing at least one sans thread locker ? How is it faring ?

I've installed about 17 or so ( 14 on my own guns and 3 on other people's) using a torque wrench and no Loctite and mine are all still zeroed, tight and lined up with the witness marks I put on them.

Not totally true I guess though as a couple of them came with some blue on the thread tips and I didn't bother to remove it.

All mine are Holosuns ( or Sig, made by Holosun) for what that's worth.
I have had both Sig and Holosun optics come loose. Most are just fine. I am currently running at least 15 pistols with optics on them and the thing I see is that not all mounting systems (direct mount or adapter) are equally well done. It will take me longer to write this missive than to look up how many people have had properly torqued optic screws loosen up - and granted, I’m sure most don’t have your skill and dexterity with turning a torque wrench clockwise until it clicks - the fact remains that it happens.

BTW, did I mention how much I like FN’s direct mounting system because they provide self locking screws that will not come loose by themselves?

Cheers, mate. ❌❤️⭕

I have had both Sig and Holosun optics come loose. Most are just fine. I am currently running at least 15 pistols with optics on them and the thing I see is that not all mounting systems (direct mount or adapter) are equally well done. It will take me longer to write this missive than to look up how many people have had properly torqued optic screws loosen up - and granted, I’m sure most don’t have your skill and dexterity with turning a torque wrench clockwise until it clicks - the fact remains that it happens.

BTW, did I mention how much I like FN’s direct mounting system because they provide self locking screws that will not come loose by themselves?

Cheers, mate. ❌❤️⭕
Well I do have extraordinary skill and dexterity at turning things clockwise.

So, that one you installed with no Loc-Tite. Did it come loose ?

TBH, I don’t know because I’m probably at around 50% one way or the other. But I have had at least two that I used thread locker on come loose recently. One was direct mount, the other had a plate.

The other thing I had happen with my EPS was the screw holding in the battery tray loosened up and the tray and battery fell out while I was running drills during the class I took a two weeks ago. Turns out Holosun says if you change the battery - which you will almost certainly have to because the battery that comes with the optic will crap out almost immediately - you should put blue loctite on the battery compartment screw. Fortunately someone actually found the battery tray (sans screw) in the gravel and I had a couple of spare 1620s in my bag. We wrapped the optic in blue painters tape and I continued on. So not only are the main screws loctited but so is the replacement battery screw. It’s tiny, I guarantee it won’t come out the next time I have to change the battery.

The other thing I had happen with my EPS was the screw holding in the battery tray loosened up and the tray and battery fell out while I was running drills during the class I took a two weeks ago. Turns out Holosun says if you change the battery - which you will almost certainly have to because the battery that comes with the optic will crap out almost immediately - you should put blue loctite on the battery compartment screw. Fortunately someone actually found the battery tray (sans screw) in the gravel and I had a couple of spare 1620s in my bag. We wrapped the optic in blue painters tape and I continued on. So not only are the main screws loctited but so is the replacement battery screw. It’s tiny, I guarantee it won’t come out the next time I have to change the battery.
Don't have an owners manual in front of me. If my memory is correct they recommend changing out battery screws after two battery changes. There was no torque values on the screws. Don't see why you couldn't clean the screws and add more loctite.

Don't have an owners manual in front of me. If my memory is correct they recommend changing out battery screws after two battery changes. There was no torque values on the screws. Don't see why you couldn't clean the screws and add more loctite.
EPS manual says to use non-permanent loctite if the tray screw had been removed more than once. They also say to use 5in lbs.

Back