testtest

Springfield Saint Victor Handguard Screws

I managed to strip all four of them and need to replace them. The manual states they are 8/32 t20 torx. Does anyone know what length?

tempImagerhbHlI.jpg

Based on the exploded view they appear to be: 8-32 5/16 Flat Torx Screws. What do you guys think caused them to "set"? You think a drop of Kroils would help loosen them up?

The last time I shot my AR Edge pistol I found the hand guard screws had loosened up with one falling out, I found it on the shooting table, I replaced them with a drop of blue lock tight.
Get a good set of hardened Torx drivers as it’s the tool that starts to become worn first that ruins the screws by not fitting tight.

Would using one of these hand impact drivers (gently) with the appropriate sized Torx bit and a vise help break any stubborn blue Loctite…

DAAA0443-7F3B-4298-9DD4-19F05F678D52.jpeg

Would using one of these hand impact drivers (gently) with the appropriate sized Torx bit and a vise help break any stubborn blue Loctite…

View attachment 38117
Man, I wouldn't use an impact driver on an aluminum handguard. Get a hardened steel torx driver ( not a bit in a universal driver, an actual set of torx drivers) and use the right size. If it's really stubborn you can (gently) heat the screw up by either putting the tip of a hot soldering iron on the screw head or using a heat gun.

Man, I wouldn't use an impact driver on an aluminum handguard. Get a hardened steel torx driver ( not a bit in a universal driver, an actual set of torx drivers) and use the right size. If it's really stubborn you can (gently) heat the screw up by either putting the tip of a hot soldering iron on the screw head or using a heat gun.

I agree, soft metals need special attention!
The right tool for the job. Seen often are remodelers using impact drivers on just about everything regardless of fragility of the two components like driving drywall screws or general lightweight screwing when a drill would be more appropriate.

Another condsideration is the hand tool itself, being the proper size and the angle of pressure used to fasten or remove. T-Handle style Torx driver used at a perfect 90° angle seems so obvious to accomplish but often theose hand bit-drivers (screwdriver type) tend to lean off that 90° pitch.

Like with allen hex type fasteners, it’s often mistaken that there are metric sizes too that cause stripping. Even Torx can be misidentified with a XZN triple square fastener.

I learned the hard way - not being able to read the imprint on my allen set I was using. Thought it was SAE but was Metric. Good lighting and magnifiers are a big help.

They look like Torx-Plus screws. A standard Torx, T-20 is supposed to work, but does not feel right in mine, so I will not use it -- hardened, or not.

Okay, for anyone that does not know, they are definitely TORX PLUS screws. The size is IP-20. Do not use a standard Torx (T-20) bit. BTW, SA did not use Loctite -- blue, or otherwise -- on the screws. Hope this helps.

(I removed mine to swap the ejection port cover out for a custom one. No problem at all removing, and re-installing the screws.)

Attachments

• 20231107_192918.jpg
    20231107_192918.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Back