testtest

Squatters are OUT in Florida

Me too. I'm not wild about their occasional hurricanes, though, and various invasive species.

Maybe someone can explain to me why you're encouraged to CATCH pythons in a pillowcase and turn them in to the state, but you're not supposed to just shoot them in the head with a .22, which would seem to be SO much simpler. :confused:
They're probably sending them to the blue states. :ROFLMAO:

So if it's unconscious I can decapitate one............uh............right. Anyone care to expand on making a large PO'd snake unconscious in a "humane" way? LOL
Think about this for a second. Just how easy do you think it would be to decapitate a 12-14-16 foot long python if he/she decided they didn't want to be decapitated? And especially if you're all alone on your hunt when you find him/her. I promise you would have a real job on your hands, and before either of you is completely done in, there will be some 'IN'humane events going on.

I've explained in another post somewhere that certain contract hunters in the area have gas chambers (for lack of a better description) where the snakes are gassed with various stuff, primarily CO2 I believe to make the snake unconscious. Believe me, they are much easier to behead in that state. And I believe now it is even permissible to inject the snakes, but I'm not sure on that.

When I was a newly assigned detective at my PD in Florida in 1981 my first case assigned was a burglary to a private herpetarium where a licensed private collector reported theft of constrictors valued in excess of $65,000. I learned more than I wanted to know about snakes and the market, as well as the black market, in rare constrictors. My victim was missing Madagascan Tree Boas, Reticulated Pythons, Burmese Pythons, Anacondas, and various others. I got the heebeegeebes walking through the rows of snake cages when examining the crime scene.

I hit all the pet shops in the Tampa Bay area that handled the slithering critters, and came up with a proprietor who said a 19-year old clerk at another pet shop had come in trying to sell snakes of the stolen variety.

I went to the young man's apartment where he lived with his Mom, and brought him back to the PD for an interview. He confessed to doing the burglary, along with a 40 year old outlaw biker who had an extensive record. So now I want to know where the snakes are now so we can recover them. He says they are in his room, in pillow cases under his bed. I was standing right next to them when we picked him up. We went back to the apartment to learn his Mom had called the biker, who came to the apartment and took the bags of snakes away while we were at the PD.

When I arrested the biker the next day he lawyered up. His lawyer wanted a deal to tell us where the snakes were. It turns out our biker friend released them all on a large parcel of land near a canal to be rid of the evidence.

We recovered only one snake that our suspect had sold to another pet shop, and an Iguana that walked into a homeless camp looking for food.

Almost 20 years later I was police chief when one of my captains came in and said a woman who lived in a condo had called to complain that we did not respond fast enough to her report of seeing a huge snake swallowing a dog on the bank of the canal behind her condo. What kind of dog? A Labrador Retriever sized dog. Can you describe the snake?
It sounds like a Yellow Anaconda. Where did this happen? Within 100 feet of where my biker dumped the bags of snakes.

One of the most memorable cases I ever worked. When you see those posters on utility poles in Florida about missing cats and dogs, it makes you wonder.

When I was a newly assigned detective at my PD in Florida in 1981 my first case assigned was a burglary to a private herpetarium where a licensed private collector reported theft of constrictors valued in excess of $65,000. I learned more than I wanted to know about snakes and the market, as well as the black market, in rare constrictors. My victim was missing Madagascan Tree Boas, Reticulated Pythons, Burmese Pythons, Anacondas, and various others. I got the heebeegeebes walking through the rows of snake cages when examining the crime scene.

I hit all the pet shops in the Tampa Bay area that handled the slithering critters, and came up with a proprietor who said a 19-year old clerk at another pet shop had come in trying to sell snakes of the stolen variety.

I went to the young man's apartment where he lived with his Mom, and brought him back to the PD for an interview. He confessed to doing the burglary, along with a 40 year old outlaw biker who had an extensive record. So now I want to know where the snakes are now so we can recover them. He says they are in his room, in pillow cases under his bed. I was standing right next to them when we picked him up. We went back to the apartment to learn his Mom had called the biker, who came to the apartment and took the bags of snakes away while we were at the PD.

When I arrested the biker the next day he lawyered up. His lawyer wanted a deal to tell us where the snakes were. It turns out our biker friend released them all on a large parcel of land near a canal to be rid of the evidence.

We recovered only one snake that our suspect had sold to another pet shop, and an Iguana that walked into a homeless camp looking for food.

Almost 20 years later I was police chief when one of my captains came in and said a woman who lived in a condo had called to complain that we did not respond fast enough to her report of seeing a huge snake swallowing a dog on the bank of the canal behind her condo. What kind of dog? A Labrador Retriever sized dog. Can you describe the snake?
It sounds like a Yellow Anaconda. Where did this happen? Within 100 feet of where my biker dumped the bags of snakes.

One of the most memorable cases I ever worked. When you see those posters on utility poles in Florida about missing cats and dogs, it makes you wonder.
Good story Hayes. People just sometimes don't realize the danger they're putting others and the ecosystem in. There are pythons in the glades that can (and one day will) swallow a whole man ... jacket, boots, and all. The big snakes out there have been breeding, living, and evolving for many years before they ever became the problem they are now. Some were turned out by civilians who never thought the snake would get so big as to be a bother inside so they turned them out like the biker in your story. Others were released over the years as 1/2 assed snake collectors, breeders and sellers had their enclosures torn up/demolished by storms from off shore. In fact there were several snake farms broken down and snakes released back in 1993 IIRC during Hurricane Andrew.

But actually, it doesn't matter how they got there like the biker you mentioned. We do know the damage they are causing to the environment today so we have to do all we can to clean them out. Is that possible, frankly I doubt it. I'm far too old and worn out these days to do much good down there on a regular basis, but I do often get on my soap box to preach about getting them.

Good story Hayes. People just sometimes don't realize the danger they're putting others and the ecosystem in. There are pythons in the glades that can (and one day will) swallow a whole man ... jacket, boots, and all. The big snakes out there have been breeding, living, and evolving for many years before they ever became the problem they are now. Some were turned out by civilians who never thought the snake would get so big as to be a bother inside so they turned them out like the biker in your story. Others were released over the years as 1/2 assed snake collectors, breeders and sellers had their enclosures torn up/demolished by storms from off shore. In fact there were several snake farms broken down and snakes released back in 1993 IIRC during Hurricane Andrew.

But actually, it doesn't matter how they got there like the biker you mentioned. We do know the damage they are causing to the environment today so we have to do all we can to clean them out. Is that possible, frankly I doubt it. I'm far too old and worn out these days to do much good down there on a regular basis, but I do often get on my soap box to preach about getting them.
Many were released during or as a result of Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

Well, they've already sent other "invasive species" to blue states. :oops:
What you are referring to may be overstated. They are sending them to red states to bolster the population losses for the next census. Illegals are counted in the census for Congressional representation. NY and CA are losing house reps...this is part of why this is happening...

Sorry for steering off the rails.

What you are referring to may be overstated. They are sending them to red states to bolster the population losses for the next census. Illegals are counted in the census for Congressional representation. NY and CA are losing house reps...this is part of why this is happening...

Sorry for steering off the rails.
You're right about the counting for representation, but why would they (anyone) be sending them to red states to help out the red state numbers. I'm pretty sure it's the blue machine causing such an outrageous influx of illegals. Granted the majority of them have to cross the border in either Texas or Arizona which are red states, but the vast majority have addresses to go to that are in blue states. It seems to me Texas and even Florida are sending most of them to Chicago, New York, Detroit and other truly blue cities/states.

1711853923250.png

You're right about the counting for representation, but why would they (anyone) be sending them to red states to help out the red state numbers. I'm pretty sure it's the blue machine causing such an outrageous influx of illegals. Granted the majority of them have to cross the border in either Texas or Arizona which are red states, but the vast majority have addresses to go to that are in blue states. It seems to me Texas and even Florida are sending most of them to Chicago, New York, Detroit and other truly blue cities/states.
sorry, meant blue

YES
we do
wife and i had a spirited discussion about who gets to shoot first if we return from a trip and person has tried to take up residence . :unsure: :eek: :eek::ROFLMAO:

what i like most about our trespass laws, and i like cops, but i also like my RIGHTS
is they cannot enter your property without a warrant ..period or your blessing.
to get to my front door, you have to pass through a gated fence and they are not allowed to do that, without said warrant or permission.

so when police do come out they call me from the squad car in the driveway to see if they may come to the door.
they are not looking for me, its 100% checking on my marine across the street because he wont answer the door and his sister has not heard from him in days .
only game wardens are exempt, to a degree they must have PC for a wildlife crime or investigation.

YES
we do
wife and i had a spirited discussion about who gets to shoot first if we return from a trip and person has tried to take up residence . :unsure: :eek: :eek::ROFLMAO:

what i like most about our trespass laws, and i like cops, but i also like my RIGHTS
is they cannot enter your property without a warrant ..period or your blessing.
to get to my front door, you have to pass through a gated fence and they are not allowed to do that, without said warrant or permission.

so when police do come out they call me from the squad car in the driveway to see if they may come to the door.
they are not looking for me, its 100% checking on my marine across the street because he wont answer the door and his sister has not heard from him in days .
only game wardens are exempt, to a degree they must have PC for a wildlife crime or investigation.

Here's the thing. These squatters aren't really breaking into occupied houses. Mostly rentals and unoccupied houses. And the states that allow this sort of thing to play out via a long court proceeding are generally not the same states who have Castle or SYG laws.

In most places if you come home from work and strangers are in your house that is called burglary and they will be arrested. In the event you walk into the house you live in and people are inside, you are protected by Castle in the event you have to defend yourself. In some places just them being there is legal right enough to use deadly force.

Back