testtest

“Stopping” bears with handgun or rifle cartridges

This is the story I always think of when I think up close bear stories. Other than one of my own which was not nearly so dramatic. I actually got to discuss this with Larry Kelly one time when I was at Magnaport, his company, getting some work done on a 44 magnum.

He was a true gentleman, and one of the pioneers in handgun hunting. He was the first hunter to take the African Big 5 with a handgun. He and his welcome dogs, always made a trip to Mag na port an good day.

Last edited:
I would never consider taking a 9mm in Grizzly bear territory and I'm surprised an Alaskan guide would.

Back in my younger days anytime I went hiking or fishing in back country I always carried my Taurus 44 Magnum loaded with CorBon 305 gr flat nose penetrators. According to the box 1300 fps. I never had to use them but I felt I could handle anything that might come at me.

I love shooting this revolver but because of the price and scarcity of 44 Magnum ammo I haven't taken it shooting for quite awhile. Prior to owning the Taurus I carried a Ruger Blackhawk 357 magnum.
IMG_1275_1.jpg

I would never consider taking a 9mm in Grizzly bear territory and I'm surprised an Alaskan guide would.

Back in my younger days anytime I went hiking or fishing in back country I always carried my Taurus 44 Magnum loaded with CorBon 305 gr flat nose penetrators. According to the box 1300 fps. I never had to use them but I felt I could handle anything that might come at me.

I love shooting this revolver but because of the price and scarcity of 44 Magnum ammo I haven't taken it shooting for quite awhile. Prior to owning the Taurus I carried a Ruger Blackhawk 357 magnum.
View attachment 24633
I have the exact same revolver. At one point I had the Taurus and a Super Blackhawk .44 w/10" barrel. I still have one of them, guess which one. ;)

I do have a Blackhawk again these days, but it's a .357 mag.

Back