testtest

Supreme Court rules warrantless home gun confiscation is unconstitutional in 9-0 vote

Reminds me of a story…

I live in Washington State. A couple of years ago laws were passed that required the local constabulary to run all firearms purchase background checks along with a batch of “Red Flag” laws. There was much furor and money spent on advertising to get this passed. The above-mentioned background check essentially established a waiting period by default as the police or sheriff has up to four business days to approve or reject a purchase. They don’t tell you if it is approved, you just wait out the clock.

My neighbor across the street has a son in his late twenties who has been picked up repeatedly for making violent threats and abusing his schizophrenia medications. As I live directly across the street, I have personally witnessed the behaviors and his being taken by the sheriff’s department.

I wrote a message to the sheriff’s department asking if all of this disbarred the young man from a firearms purchase. They told me they had no idea and that I should contact the county health department. Remember, these are the folks supposedly in charge of the background check process.

I wrote a message to the health department and included the email thread with the sheriff and got back from Health, “We don’t know anything about enforcing the red flag laws. You need to contact the sheriff.”

So, we passed laws. Nobody is enforcing them and what’s more, nobody knows who is supposed to be enforcing them, or how!

Oh yeah, something needed to be done and something WAS done but it was all just BS window dressing for the politicians to point at and pat one another on the back for their prompt actions.

Bloomberg’s Every Town for Gun Safety ramrodded the program.

Meanwhile…

Reminds me of a story…

I live in Washington State. A couple of years ago laws were passed that required the local constabulary to run all firearms purchase background checks along with a batch of “Red Flag” laws. There was much furor and money spent on advertising to get this passed. The above-mentioned background check essentially established a waiting period by default as the police or sheriff has up to four business days to approve or reject a purchase. They don’t tell you if it is approved, you just wait out the clock.

My neighbor across the street has a son in his late twenties who has been picked up repeatedly for making violent threats and abusing his schizophrenia medications. As I live directly across the street, I have personally witnessed the behaviors and his being taken by the sheriff’s department.

I wrote a message to the sheriff’s department asking if all of this disbarred the young man from a firearms purchase. They told me they had no idea and that I should contact the county health department. Remember, these are the folks supposedly in charge of the background check process.

I wrote a message to the health department and included the email thread with the sheriff and got back from Health, “We don’t know anything about enforcing the red flag laws. You need to contact the sheriff.”

So, we passed laws. Nobody is enforcing them and what’s more, nobody knows who is supposed to be enforcing them, or how!

Oh yeah, something needed to be done and something WAS done but it was all just BS window dressing for the politicians to point at and pat one another on the back for their prompt actions.

Bloomberg’s Every Town for Gun Safety ramrodded the program.

Meanwhile…
Bureaucracy at its worst.

Back