testtest

Survival Ham Radio: Building and Using a Field Communication Kit

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
In the wild, beyond the reach of cell service and Wi-Fi, communication is your link to the world; and you’re going to need more than lights and smoke signals. It's not just about staying connected—it's about ensuring rescue and coordination when isolation becomes a threat, or monitoring evolving conditions in the case of an emergency.

Let's patch that hole in your survival game.

1712349903093.png

Bonus - A good source of portable gear for monitoring.

Last edited:
In the wild, beyond the reach of cell service and Wi-Fi, communication is your link to the world; and you’re going to need more than lights and smoke signals. It's not just about staying connected—it's about ensuring rescue and coordination when isolation becomes a threat, or monitoring evolving conditions in the case of an emergency.

Let's patch that hole in your survival game.

View attachment 55384

Bonus - A good source of portable gear for monitoring.

Good article, but you will need to take a test to get a license, and depending on what band you want before you can transmit on any ham radio band, entry level license, Technician, covers the 2-meter band, 440 and 220 mhz, if you want to cover world bands, 30 mhz and lower, that would be a General class. Just be warned, amateur radio equipment can be very expensive.

Good article, but you will need to take a test to get a license, and depending on what band you want before you can transmit on any ham radio band, entry level license, Technician, covers the 2-meter band, 440 and 220 mhz, if you want to cover world bands, 30 mhz and lower, that would be a General class. Just be warned, amateur radio equipment can be very expensive.
didn't the morse code get eliminated from the test.??

i was going to try for it, but then, as you say, the costs of equipment.

Good grief. I thought about getting into just as an old man hobby. Is there anything an old fart can do with some sort of license? 🤬

Annihilator- In case you didn't know, there is a small portion of the 10 meter band, 28.300-28.500 at 200 watts PEP, available for Technician Licensees if interested. Also small spectrum on 15, 40, and 80 meter bands for Morse Code only at @200 watts PEP.
Old Me- Yes. No code on the Technician test.

SaltyMonkey- Family Radio Service, no license and no test. Link: https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/family-radio-service-frs#:~:text=The FRS is authorized 22,you comply with the rules.

General Mobile Radio Service, license required but no test and more distances and frequencies available.
Link: https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

Citizens Band Radio- No license or test required.

Last edited:
Annihilator- In case you didn't know, there is a small portion of the 10 meter band, 28.300-28.500 at 200 watts PEP, available for Technician Licensees if interested. Also small spectrum on 15, 40, and 80 meter bands for Morse Code only at @200 watts PEP.
Old Me- Yes. No code on the Technician test.

SaltyMonkey- Family Radio Service, no license and no test. Link: https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/family-radio-service-frs#:~:text=The FRS is authorized 22,you comply with the rules.

General Mobile Radio Service, license required but no test and more distances and frequencies available.
Link: https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

Citizens Band Radio- No license or test required.
Yea, did forget those bands, but since I didn’t do or know Morse code, I just plain forgot them, also @Old_Me no Morse code either for general license

Annihilator- You can do Phone (voice) Single Side Band only permitted on the 10 meter frequencies I listed above. Sorry I didn't mention it there. 28.000-28.300 is for code only.

Back