testtest

Talk of bad ammo.

KillerFord1977

SAINT
Founding Member
Here are some examples of ammo problems in my FAL with bad ammo. Poorly made or old.

FAL jammed and I had no injury, but these 2 examples of what will happen to cause a gun to jam. Not always the rifle. Most likely the ammo.

Both .308 of different makers at different times.

#1 : sheared the weak case in half and jammed next round thru it. Brand new ammo.

#2: case separated apart from age and wear
BEDD9E61-C5DC-4BB6-9AEB-4C6B0B24C1DE.jpeg
6EF11AF7-0A05-4740-ADB5-9F3F1F15DEAA.jpeg

Here are some examples of ammo problems in my FAL with bad ammo. Poorly made or old.

FAL jammed and I had no injury, but these 2 examples of what will happen to cause a gun to jam. Not always the rifle. Most likely the ammo.

Both .308 of different makers at different times.

#1 : sheared the weak case in half and jammed next round thru it. Brand new ammo.

#2: case separated apart from age and wear
View attachment 14998View attachment 14999
Well? You can't blame starline! I've had no issues with the brand, but have had issues with remington!

I've run Remington .38 from the '70s through my revolver with zero issues...as well as some gray-box .38 that might actually be from Korea when dad served there. I don't do a lot of that - it's actually green - but it all seems to work for target plinking.

No it was not
The middle shell has the casing from the right shell jammed on top of it. The case sheared in half upon ejection and rammed the next round thru the upper half of the sheared case. The bottom half ejected out as normal .
Straight out of new box
Have you put some calipers on the casing to check the dimensions to see if it meets spec?

Possible Issue:
Something that can weaken brass is exposure to ammonia based products, even fumes if the brass is stored close to an ammonia based solvent which can even cause micro cracks in the cases to form.

Have you put some calipers on the casing to check the dimensions to see if it meets spec?

Possible Issue:
Something that can weaken brass is exposure to ammonia based products, even fumes if the brass is stored close to an ammonia based solvent which can even cause micro cracks in the cases to form.
Nope
Bought a box
Ran it thru the gun .. the end

FAL chews **** up and spits it out and keeps moving forward. Just wont use that ammo again is all. Every gun type is different. ... FAL is like Shrek

Nope
Bought a box
Ran it thru the gun .. the end

FAL chews **** up and spits it out and keeps moving forward. Just wont use that ammo again is all. Every gun type is different. ... FAL is like Shrek
What brand and line of ammo was it?

I'm just curious so I can avoid this also.

What brand and line of ammo was it?

I'm just curious so I can avoid this also.
It really wouldn’t matter.

Issues like this can happen with ANY manufacture; the separated case head was likely caused by bad annealing (brass in front was too soft, stuck in the chamber, and the FAL was energetic enough in its extraction to tear the case)...it's something that’s really not visible for a QC process to catch outside of test firing. Probably a 1 in a million issue (actually, probably lower than that, even).

The split case usually comes from a bad batch of brass; it's the opposite of the above issue; the brass is too hard, and brittle...instead of stretching and expanding, it splits. it's not uncommon to have multiple failures if this type from the same box of ammo...and while it can be a little freaky (my Mauser would occasionally spit gas back at me when that Turk surplus I mentioned earlier, but...that’s why we wear shooting glasses, right?)...but again, that can happen to any company; usually gets caught by QC, but sometimes some can slip by.

Right now, with such limited ammo options out there...I’d have no problems rolling the dice on it.

Issues like this can happen with ANY manufacture; the separated case head was likely caused by bad annealing (brass in front was too soft, stuck in the chamber, and the FAL was energetic enough in its extraction to tear the case)...it's something that’s really not visible for a QC process to catch outside of test firing. Probably a 1 in a million issue (actually, probably lower than that, even).

The split case usually comes from a bad batch of brass; it's the opposite of the above issue; the brass is too hard, and brittle...instead of stretching and expanding, it splits. it's not uncommon to have multiple failures if this type from the same box of ammo...and while it can be a little freaky (my Mauser would occasionally spit gas back at me when that Turk surplus I mentioned earlier, but...that’s why we wear shooting glasses, right?)...but again, that can happen to any company; usually gets caught by QC, but sometimes some can slip by.

Right now, with such limited ammo options out there...I’d have no problems rolling the dice on it.
Speaking of QC issues I got this .223 from a bulk box of Fiocchi over a year ago.

Screenshot_20210212-112143_Photos.jpg

This 👆👆

Back