testtest

Taurus G3C 9mm FTF issue

Howdy, I'm new here. However, I found this thread while searching G3C nosedives. I, too, have owned several G2Cs, a couple G3s, and some G3Cs. @ghosttwofive I feel your pain. Of all the Taurus guns I've owned, the newest ones I'm about to mention are the only ones with ever an issue.

I'm having the random slide drop jam on the G3C with Critical Defense. However, the gun has over 400 rounds through it across two range trips, and it never missed a beat with live fire. I totally did not gently sand down the bottom of the feed ramp as indicated in some of those pics in this thread and totally did not polish up the feed ramp. Whatever I did not do there, it seems to have alleviated the hangup; the issue still occurred after the feed ramp polish I did not do... No matter which way I did it, slide stop release, or slingshot, etc, it would randomly randomly randomly hang up on the feed ramp. Other more conventional JHPs did not have this issue.

My New G3 TORO is currently on its way back to Bainbridge. It also had the nosedive failure as described here, but that was not the main issue. The main issue for the new G3 was failure to feed with BALL ammo more than anything, and it happened approximately 10-15 times in its first 250 rounds. Contacted Taurus via email with not too high of hopes. They replied within 24 hours, immediately offering a pre-paid Fedex label for return to the mother ship. I declined, stating that maybe it just needs a couple hundred more.

I had also purchased a 3rd 15 round magazine, and the issue was most prominent with the 17 round magazine on the G3. I purchased a 4th 15 round magazine, and went in for live fire. To my chagrin, the gun started choking on FMJ much more, and now it was happening on all magazines. I contacted Taurus back, and again, replied within 24 hours with instructions on how to package. I told them I was at 550 for round count, and it was a non-issue. They want the gun back to fix on their dime.

I am hoping they send it back stating something was fixed, not that they could not replicate the problem. They did not even fuss with round counts or break in, as I was ahead of them, there. I detailed exactly what type, and how many of each type of factory FMJ and JHP ammo I used, and what problems I was having with what magazines. They simply offered to pay shipping back to them. If it comes back with notations of something fixed, I'll probably trust it enough to test it again. Sometimes, in your case, they replace some stuff that we think has nothing to do with the issue. I have heard of the slide stop and spring causing issues years ago, on another gun but I can not recall the brand or weapon; Just that I've heard of that being an oddball culprit for FTFs.

I am sorry you had to pay shipping, and I would have told them no. If they say "well then too bad", I'll just tell them I don't want to sell their defective gun off and cause someone else to hate Taurus. I won't trust it ever again. They'll probably work with you. Say all of that calmly, politely, and assertively. Remember that if we're polite with people in service or behind that counter, they'll typically bend over backwards to help. Treat them like trash or servants, and they'll do the bare minimum or nothing to help.

However, I just purchased a Canik METE SFx, and was BS'ing with the knowledgeable (not some idiot they just pay to sell guns) gun store guy about the G3 TORO issue and Taurus of today in general. He said Taurus has really stepped up their customer service game hardcore in the last year, up to Ruger levels were his words. That's interesting, because I tried calling them 6 months or a year ago, was on hold for a while and gave up. That was just to order a part, not for a failure or defect. Their email system was answered within 24 hours both times, so excellent job to Taurus on that. I have heard of a couple people being required to pay shipping in recent past, like you had to, but Taurus support didn't even mention it to me. They did state as long as the issue is not ammunition or customer induced, everything was free. I detailed that it was all factory, brass, not even +P anything, and no questions were asked. It would seem they're stepping up, as he said.

I wish I could still trust Ruger, but I had a couple Security 9s with serious machining flaws, not some little knick on the slide. They were stand up awesome about it, but I had a sample size of more than one, myself. Their service is top. Just wish it wasn't required as much.

Welcome to the forum!

Almost everyone’s CS suffered to some degree during the pandemic, Taurus has a new CEO and customer service has been a major focus of his. Sadly, Taurus’ past shoddy reputation follows them around and for every satisfied customer there are 6 haters glad to share their thoughts. Let us know how things work out.

I will follow up. They just received it this morning. We'll see.

Yes, the reputation will follow Taurus around, sadly, for some time. It can get better, but usually takes a decade or two, and much better products and support in that time frame.

Unfortunately, a large percentage of the Taurus Haters are what I call the Taurus Haters Groupthink. I myself used to be one. I had never touched a Taurus, but because it's common and almost fashionable to hate on things as a group, I even thought Taurus sucked. It occurred to me, I'd never even shot one. I'd always based my stupid opinions on hearsay and loose anecdotal evidence. To those that actually have a Taurus or had one that was junk, I get it. To those who will tell you that their Uncle's wife's sister's son's girlfriend's father had a Taurus blow up in his hands and nearly take all his fingers off... OK....

Howdy, I'm new here. However, I found this thread while searching G3C nosedives. I, too, have owned several G2Cs, a couple G3s, and some G3Cs. @ghosttwofive I feel your pain. Of all the Taurus guns I've owned, the newest ones I'm about to mention are the only ones with ever an issue.

I'm having the random slide drop jam on the G3C with Critical Defense. However, the gun has over 400 rounds through it across two range trips, and it never missed a beat with live fire. I totally did not gently sand down the bottom of the feed ramp as indicated in some of those pics in this thread and totally did not polish up the feed ramp. Whatever I did not do there, it seems to have alleviated the hangup; the issue still occurred after the feed ramp polish I did not do... No matter which way I did it, slide stop release, or slingshot, etc, it would randomly randomly randomly hang up on the feed ramp. Other more conventional JHPs did not have this issue.

My New G3 TORO is currently on its way back to Bainbridge. It also had the nosedive failure as described here, but that was not the main issue. The main issue for the new G3 was failure to feed with BALL ammo more than anything, and it happened approximately 10-15 times in its first 250 rounds. Contacted Taurus via email with not too high of hopes. They replied within 24 hours, immediately offering a pre-paid Fedex label for return to the mother ship. I declined, stating that maybe it just needs a couple hundred more.

I had also purchased a 3rd 15 round magazine, and the issue was most prominent with the 17 round magazine on the G3. I purchased a 4th 15 round magazine, and went in for live fire. To my chagrin, the gun started choking on FMJ much more, and now it was happening on all magazines. I contacted Taurus back, and again, replied within 24 hours with instructions on how to package. I told them I was at 550 for round count, and it was a non-issue. They want the gun back to fix on their dime.

I am hoping they send it back stating something was fixed, not that they could not replicate the problem. They did not even fuss with round counts or break in, as I was ahead of them, there. I detailed exactly what type, and how many of each type of factory FMJ and JHP ammo I used, and what problems I was having with what magazines. They simply offered to pay shipping back to them. If it comes back with notations of something fixed, I'll probably trust it enough to test it again. Sometimes, in your case, they replace some stuff that we think has nothing to do with the issue. I have heard of the slide stop and spring causing issues years ago, on another gun but I can not recall the brand or weapon; Just that I've heard of that being an oddball culprit for FTFs.

I am sorry you had to pay shipping, and I would have told them no. If they say "well then too bad", I'll just tell them I don't want to sell their defective gun off and cause someone else to hate Taurus. I won't trust it ever again. They'll probably work with you. Say all of that calmly, politely, and assertively. Remember that if we're polite with people in service or behind that counter, they'll typically bend over backwards to help. Treat them like trash or servants, and they'll do the bare minimum or nothing to help.

However, I just purchased a Canik METE SFx, and was BS'ing with the knowledgeable (not some idiot they just pay to sell guns) gun store guy about the G3 TORO issue and Taurus of today in general. He said Taurus has really stepped up their customer service game hardcore in the last year, up to Ruger levels were his words. That's interesting, because I tried calling them 6 months or a year ago, was on hold for a while and gave up. That was just to order a part, not for a failure or defect. Their email system was answered within 24 hours both times, so excellent job to Taurus on that. I have heard of a couple people being required to pay shipping in recent past, like you had to, but Taurus support didn't even mention it to me. They did state as long as the issue is not ammunition or customer induced, everything was free. I detailed that it was all factory, brass, not even +P anything, and no questions were asked. It would seem they're stepping up, as he said.

I wish I could still trust Ruger, but I had a couple Security 9s with serious machining flaws, not some little knick on the slide. They were stand up awesome about it, but I had a sample size of more than one, myself. Their service is top. Just wish it wasn't required as much.
I tend to think my G3C issues are more of an exception, not the rule. I eventually bought a new barrel for my G3C and it's ran flawlessly since then, any ammo I can throw at it, it eats without complaint. If I had thought of that at the beginning I could have probably saved myself a lot of time and trouble, but I just couldn't see anything wrong with the barrel. Once I switched out the barrel, it ate the HST 147-grain rounds with no issues. My other two Taurus handguns, my G2C and G3 I haven't had any issues at all since day one and the price was hard to beat back when I bought them.

I will follow up. They just received it this morning. We'll see.

Yes, the reputation will follow Taurus around, sadly, for some time. It can get better, but usually takes a decade or two, and much better products and support in that time frame.

Unfortunately, a large percentage of the Taurus Haters are what I call the Taurus Haters Groupthink. I myself used to be one. I had never touched a Taurus, but because it's common and almost fashionable to hate on things as a group, I even thought Taurus sucked. It occurred to me, I'd never even shot one. I'd always based my stupid opinions on hearsay and loose anecdotal evidence. To those that actually have a Taurus or had one that was junk, I get it. To those who will tell you that their Uncle's wife's sister's son's girlfriend's father had a Taurus blow up in his hands and nearly take all his fingers off... OK....
My favorite revolver ( that I own ) is a Taurus model 44 that I bought 32 years ago and have put thousands and thousands of rounds through and killed a hell of a lot of deer with. 8.3” barrel, no scope. Never had an issue and can shoot it one handed all day long.

I want nothing to do with their semi autos. I know two guys with them and I’ve worked on both of them. Hard pass for me, but then everything ain’t for everybody.

My favorite revolver ( that I own ) is a Taurus model 44 that I bought 32 years ago and have put thousands and thousands of rounds through and killed a hell of a lot of deer with. 8.3” barrel, no scope. Never had an issue and can shoot it one handed all day long.

I want nothing to do with their semi autos. I know two guys with them and I’ve worked on both of them. Hard pass for me, but then everything ain’t for everybody.

The irony of that, is my experience with Ruger. Not as extensive as your experiences, but Ruger revolvers are built like tanks. My last 3 Ruger semi-autos taught me, no more Ruger semi-autos. It's just not a territory they're good at.

You at least worked on a Taurus or two, or handled them, instead of being like the majority of anti-Taurus sentiment. You formed your opinion firsthand, which is realistic, and respectable.

I've genuinely found modern Taurus auto-loaders, this new formula they uncovered and are sticking with, to be well made for their costs of production and sale, and reliable. I was a bit stunned at my G3's complete inability to run. Let's see how they handle it. :)

The irony of that, is my experience with Ruger. Not as extensive as your experiences, but Ruger revolvers are built like tanks. My last 3 Ruger semi-autos taught me, no more Ruger semi-autos. It's just not a territory they're good at.

You at least worked on a Taurus or two, or handled them, instead of being like the majority of anti-Taurus sentiment. You formed your opinion firsthand, which is realistic, and respectable.

I've genuinely found modern Taurus auto-loaders, this new formula they uncovered and are sticking with, to be well made for their costs of production and sale, and reliable. I was a bit stunned at my G3's complete inability to run. Let's see how they handle it. :)
Well the new ones are getting much better reviews.

I own a couple Ruger revolvers which I love too. .357s. I also would never buy a Ruger semi auto. My kid wanted one though so I bought her an SC9 or some such thing. I gave her a choice between that, which I bought from a cop for $100 and a brand new ( at the time) Shield 9. I think she wanted it because it matches that horrible LCP 380 I gave her.

Yes sir. Agreed. The LCP was "revolutionary" for its size. And it's like the worst gun on Earth to shoot. I've heard the newer gens of LCP aren't terrible, but it's the same manufacturing group as my ill-fated Security 9 models. The Security 9 has so much going for it, on paper. However, an ejector that looks like 1/16th inch stamped sheet metal (mine bent using factory brass case ammo), and some slide machining issues made them a no go. Slide machining issues on more than one that purchased, the likes of which I've never seen on a Taurus.

I had an American Compact in 9mm, and that was nicer, but it didn't do anything better than Glock or SIG or S&W, etc. Also, it a 12+1 gun with a 3.6" bbl that weighed about 29 oz?? No thanks.

I had a Taurus revolver (66 copy) that I liked, then two semi-autos I didn't (warranty repair when brand new).
The wife and I have 10 (?) Ruger single actions that will never wear out. I used to have an LCP II that I liked in .380. Comfy, reliable with decent accuracy. I'm liking the Max 9 now. You can't go wrong with a Shield.

Another oddball update, because I just love this thread. Took the G3C, among others to the range, and ran 75 rounds through it. 25 were Hornady Crit Defense, the other 50 were Blazer 115 FMJ. All ran fine; I was focused on running the new SFx METE, so I only ran a bit through the G3C.

Get it home and clean it, lube it, and rack it.... Nosedive on the ramp. I thought I had sort of alleviated the issue. I went back and performed Np1000's fix. I had gently cleaned that area up before this range trip, and it was cycling ammo by hand consistently and smoothly. I assume that running it again, caused a bit more uneven wear and tear, and decided to polish the bottom of the feed ramp where it rests flat on the central support during feeding.

Now, it again seems to be cycling smooth and fine. Maybe this is what it needed.... Talk about a lengthy and bumpy break in period if these things need to be polished up. However, to be fair, it hit round #500 today, and it has literally done everything perfectly in live fire, regardless of ammunition used...

Back