testtest

Taylor & Company Announces TC73 9mm Lever Action Rifle

I didn't see anything about how they solved the tubular magazine of round nose bullets (possible) dramatic situation.
Maybe there isn't enough recoil for it to be a problem???
We're told to use RNFP bullets with the flat point being larger than the primer to prevent inadvertent ignition in the magazine tube.
I could see the value in having a cowboy gun in 9mm. It's an efficient cartridge and a logical way to reduce costs. The MSRP is pretty high and I can understand if someone would rather purchase a PC 9 or other for substantial purchase savings, especially for a plinker.
Most replicas are made by Uberti. I doubt this gun is truly made in America.

I'm no gun value expert, but was at our big gun shop last week looking for a lever action .22LR and I thought the prices were ridiculous, even for used rifles. Maybe I just haven't paid attention to lever actions in a while, I don't know. If the object is to drive buyers to another type of gun I'd say it's working.

We're told to use RNFP bullets with the flat point being larger than the primer to prevent inadvertent ignition in the magazine tube.
I know that, and you know that, and probably everyone here knows that, but will most people out there?
The sorry truth is, people like us who know or consider such things are likely a small part of the gun buying public.

I am reminded of this sad fact at gun shows, public ranges, etc.

Lever actions in .44 Mag, .357 Mag, etc are more or less idiot-proof because most of that ammo is loaded with flat point bullets. Flexible tip bullets also protect the ignorant (and the rest of us bystanders).

But a 9mm lever action (or any other 9mm) is a different story. I would guess 95% or more of the 9mm ammo made is round nose FMJ. And that's what the people we see at gun shows and public ranges who leave us shaking our heads are going to have...and it's likely what they will use in one of these rifles.

Maybe the incredible price is a blessing, in that it will cause very few of these rifles to get into their hands.

I didn't see anything about how they solved the tubular magazine of round nose bullets (possible) dramatic situation.
Maybe there isn't enough recoil for it to be a problem???
IMHO the fear of exploding tubular magazines is way over blown, much like rimfire unreliability but that's another story. A few years ago (20+?) Shooters Bible, Guns Digest or some such did a story of trying to get a tubular mag, to explode. I won't try to share any info from it as I don't have it available and due to age and faulty memory. As I recall very informative and worth the effort of finding if you love lever actions. Much of caution of expolding mag tubes come from the days of people loading 30-40 Kreg bullets into 30-30 cases. Defiantly more recoil from a 30-30 than 9X19. 1716123993065.png VS 1716124041950.png
In today's "let's sue em till the cow come home" world, especially in the firearms industry, if Tayor's not worried about it then I'm not. I would still pay attention to what bullets I used for reloads, but then what to hell do I know.

Last edited:
IMHO the fear of exploding tubular magazines is way over blown, much like rimfire unreliability but that's another story. A few years ago (20+?) Shooters Bible, Guns Digest or some such did a story of trying to get a tubular mag, to explode. I won't try to share any info from it as I don't have it available and due to age and faulty memory. As I recall very informative and worth the effort of finding if you love lever actions. Much of caution of expolding mag tubes come from the days of people loading 30-40 Kreg bullets into 30-30 cases. Defiantly more recoil from a 30-30 than 9X19. View attachment 58162 VS View attachment 58163
In today's "let's sue em till the cow come home" world, especially in the firearms industry, if Tayor's not worried about it then I'm not. I would still pay attention to what bullets I used for reloads, but then what to hell do I know.

This, very much this.

First off, that heavy, lever action rifle isn’t going to have enough recoil to get the inertia high enough to set off a primer…additionally, that round profile 9mm bullet isn’t pointy enough to concentrate what little force there is.

The whole tube thing, with this rifle, is a massive nothingburger.

Whether it's this rifle or making revolvers to use rimless (aka semi-auto) cartridges, it's because you can with moon clips or designing this rifle to use 9mm, which is on the short-list of the most common cartridges in the world.

I don't see anything in the firearms rule book that says that only rimmed cartridges must be used in lever-actions.

My .02

Back