testtest

Teaching My Grandson To Shoot

Wow!! That article brought back great memories from when I taught my granddaughter to shoot. The only .22 rifle I had was a marlin 39A lever action and I had to let her shoot off the bench because of the weight. I set the target at 7 yards and she made some hits and had some misses but what I remember most and will cherish till the day I die was how big that grin was on her little face when she made that first hit.

That was 11 years ago and it still seems like yesterday.

To those who have yet to experience this , spend a lot of time leading up to the big day instilling the safety factors and let them handle the firearm a bit before going to the range . It is a wonderful experience .

Thank you , Anni , for posting this. (y)

I not only had the great fortune to teach my grandkids, but where my wife and I lived the past 40 years, I had the additional good fortune of teaching at least 3 of the neighborhood kids as they were growing up. Our neighborhood was mostly Dr's, Lawyers & Indian Chiefs and few were adept at those things as shooting, hunting, fishing, camping, etc. Me being involved in all of that naturally intrigued the neighborhood kids, most of whom spent a good deal of their time at my house. Even from young ages, my wife would make them 'jello squares', or brownies, or oatmeal/raisin cookies, and/or I would keep their bicycles, scooters and go carts in safe running order. Our own kids already being grown and gone, we where appointed the neighborhood aunt and uncle for many of them. Everyone of those kids are grown now and have families of their own, and often bring their kids by just to say hi. And often they'll stop by just to show me a new gun they've gotten, or fishing rod, or maybe the new boat. And everyone of them brought all their new babies by to meet uncle Joe.

I've been a very lucky man in many ways and one that I count higher than most is that I've had the opportunity to provide a good example to a lot of young folks. And I'm certain that each and every one of them appreciated all my efforts. I love them all as if they were my own.

Edit: regards,
jumpinjoe

I not only had the great fortune to teach my grandkids, but where my wife and I lived the past 40 years, I had the additional good fortune of teaching at least 3 of the neighborhood kids as they were growing up. Our neighborhood was mostly Dr's, Lawyers & Indian Chiefs and few were adept at those things as shooting, hunting, fishing, camping, etc. Me being involved in all of that naturally intrigued the neighborhood kids, most of whom spent a good deal of their time at my house. Even from young ages, my wife would make them 'jello squares', or brownies, or oatmeal/raisin cookies, and/or I would keep their bicycles, scooters and go carts in safe running order. Our own kids already being grown and gone, we where appointed the neighborhood aunt and uncle for many of them. Everyone of those kids are grown now and have families of their own, and often bring their kids by just to say hi. And often they'll stop by just to show me a new gun they've gotten, or fishing rod, or maybe the new boat. And everyone of them brought all their new babies by to meet uncle Joe.

I've been a very lucky man in many ways and one that I count higher than most is that I've had the opportunity to provide a good example to a lot of young folks. And I'm certain that each and every one of them appreciated all my efforts. I love them all as if they were my own.

jumpinjoe
That’s great Joe, thanks for sharing with us.

jumpinjoe
Great story. Thanks for sharing.

My grandson is 2 now can't wait till I can take him shooting for the first time. Feels like the first day of buck season just wait for it to come. I get to buy him his first gun for Christmas or his 3rd birthday in March. His father wanted to buy it but I gave him a deadline to do it and he didn't make the deadline. So he gave me the right to do it. I was just kidding about the deadline with him, didn't want to take that away from him but he said it was OK.

My grandson is 2 now can't wait till I can take him shooting for the first time. Feels like the first day of buck season just wait for it to come. I get to buy him his first gun for Christmas or his 3rd birthday in March. His father wanted to buy it but I gave him a deadline to do it and he didn't make the deadline. So he gave me the right to do it. I was just kidding about the deadline with him, didn't want to take that away from him but he said it was OK.
Let me guess, Daisy Red Rider?

When my Grandson turned twelve, I took him shooting for a birthday "present". At the time, I told him he may get a couple guns, IF he showed responsibility, and he got old enough to keep guns legally. A couple weeks ago, I gave him a M28 S&W, and an old Remington M12 22 pump. He wanted those two, because they were the first guns he ever got to shoot, and it was with me. Over the intervening years he had plenty of looks inside my gun locker, lots of "eye candy" to behold, but those were the two he wanted. I gladly relinquished those two firearms. Funny thing is, since he's come of age, he's gotten quite a start on guns, and even has some that I own as well, A couple SA 1911's and a loaded M1A! The kid has good taste!

When my Grandson turned twelve, I took him shooting for a birthday "present". At the time, I told him he may get a couple guns, IF he showed responsibility, and he got old enough to keep guns legally. A couple weeks ago, I gave him a M28 S&W, and an old Remington M12 22 pump. He wanted those two, because they were the first guns he ever got to shoot, and it was with me. Over the intervening years he had plenty of looks inside my gun locker, lots of "eye candy" to behold, but those were the two he wanted. I gladly relinquished those two firearms. Funny thing is, since he's come of age, he's gotten quite a start on guns, and even has some that I own as well, A couple SA 1911's and a loaded M1A! The kid has good taste!
Indeed.

Back