testtest

The .30-06 Springfield

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member

In Rifles, Ammunition and Hunting, It’s Still the One to Beat!

The .30-06 Springfield

02%20the%2030-06%20cartridge.jpg

I have nothing against companies coming out with new stuff (even if 6.5 CM is a reincarnation of 260 Rem or 6.5x55 Swed my opinion)

But the 30 06, 270 Win and 308 are all still hard to beat for what normal earth people do with hunting and shooting!!!

I've never shot a 30 06. My hunting has always been in areas where the shooting distance is limited by the terrain. 35 years ago I bought a used Sears model 53 (basically a Winchester model 70) in .308 that to this day shoots very accurate and has a great light trigger pull. It is still my main hunting rifle. When down in the thicker brush areas I have my Win model 94 .30-30 lever.

In PA semi autos are not allowed and distances are not that far so I never saw the need for another, more powerful hunting rifle in the .30 06. I'm only 67 now, maybe I'll grow up into one some day.

I've never shot a 30 06. My hunting has always been in areas where the shooting distance is limited by the terrain. 35 years ago I bought a used Sears model 53 (basically a Winchester model 70) in .308 that to this day shoots very accurate and has a great light trigger pull. It is still my main hunting rifle. When down in the thicker brush areas I have my Win model 94 .30-30 lever.

In PA semi autos are not allowed and distances are not that far so I never saw the need for another, more powerful hunting rifle in the .30 06. I'm only 67 now, maybe I'll grow up into one some day.
My father hunted that way in CT and ME in the thick woods. Had a 1x5 scope for the occasion deer in a small clearing. Rest was shots under 75 yards he always told me.
Here in TX, i have lots of wide open shots of around 100-200 yards, and its quite a different hunt

My father hunted that way in CT and ME in the thick woods. Had a 1x5 scope for the occasion deer in a small clearing. Rest was shots under 75 yards he always told me.
Here in TX, i have lots of wide open shots of around 100-200 yards, and its quite a different hunt
My original scope on this .308 rifle was a 4x, don't remember the brand. Probably 25 years ago or more I upgrade to a 3x9x50 Simmons because I wanted to be able to open it up if I ever came across a big area to hunt. But I've never had it off 3x while hunting yet. I do occasionally give it a twist up to 9x just to make sure it still turns before turning it back. 🤣

I hunted here on Kodiak for almost 30 years with an 06. I have two of them. A Sako L61R and a Savage 111. Believe it or not. The Savage shoots a little bit straighter than the Sako! 🤣
Just these past couple years I've stepped up to a .338 because of to many close encounters with Yogi and Boo Boo over the years. We all know an 06 is capable of taking anything in North America. However, I've had to unexpectedly throw down and get the drop on a few big bruiser bruins with my 06 over my years of blacktail hunting on Kodiak. The situations gladly and thankfully never went south, but when looking at a young sow at twenty yards through the cross hairs. With three two and a half year old cubs almost as big as her by her side. Or a 1200-1300 pound boar that smells the meat on your hunting pack. A 30-06 feels awfully small in one's hands! 🤣

This is the sow and her three BIG cubs that I jumped unexpectedly while they were all laying down in the tall grass behind the red circled willow bush.
Resized_IMG_20230205_205404398~2_53988717654524.jpeg

Needless to say. After the whole encounter and neither the mother, her young possy or I losing our cool.
I let the gap between us open a bit before taking the picture!🤣 I had my Sako 06 with me on this particular hunt I believe. Four bears at twenty yards and four rounds in the rifle! Ha ha, yeah! Good luck!👍 I still love the 06 though definitely my all time favorite hunting cartridge!

Back