testtest

The Case for the Lightweight Shotgun

An 18.5-inch barrel with five rounds is much lighter and handier to deal with.

My 18.5" 590A1 is as such, even with the +1 mag tube extension on it.

I got rid of my 20" 590 because it was more unwieldly.

Double barrel per Joe !

Don't knock the boom stick.
655766B4-B256-4976-9730-24B3C294A7A4.jpeg

Beretta 686 Onyx with 18.25” barrels...my backup HD shotgun.

The article contradicts itself in at least one place. With regards to capacity and reloading. Also it’s worth pointing out his time differences between the two shotguns were at Max .2 seconds.
You guys probably don’t know this about me but I really like shotguns. I own a bunch of shotguns and I drill with shotguns more than any other firearm.

I don’t disagree that lighter is probably better for a lot of people. Particularly in a protracted gun fight. But then in a protracted gun fight you’d better have it slung and personally I’ll forego a couple pounds for double the round capacity every single time. Realistically, most HD situations are not going to last more than a few minutes though.

Everything is a compromise. Most of the time a 16” double barrel 12 gauge is gonna get the job done. The compromise is that if you have more than one determined intruder you’re screwed. On the other hand a KSG25, fully loaded, in the right hands is going to put the odds heavily in your favor against 3 or less determined intruders who are unfamiliar with your house. The compromise is that a fully loaded KSG25 weighs a lot and is about 38” long. That’s why I’m currently doing a work up on the Tavor and looking at the possibility of it becoming a primary HD shotgun. 28” long, 16 rds. Semi auto, 8lbs empty. We’ll see.

My conclusion is that the author’s 7+1 Benelli is the better choice, regardless of the weight.

The article contradicts itself in at least one place. With regards to capacity and reloading. Also it’s worth pointing out his time differences between the two shotguns were at Max .2 seconds.
You guys probably don’t know this about me but I really like shotguns. I own a bunch of shotguns and I drill with shotguns more than any other firearm.

I don’t disagree that lighter is probably better for a lot of people. Particularly in a protracted gun fight. But then in a protracted gun fight you’d better have it slung and personally I’ll forego a couple pounds for double the round capacity every single time. Realistically, most HD situations are not going to last more than a few minutes though.

Everything is a compromise. Most of the time a 16” double barrel 12 gauge is gonna get the job done. The compromise is that if you have more than one determined intruder you’re screwed. On the other hand a KSG25, fully loaded, in the right hands is going to put the odds heavily in your favor against 3 or less determined intruders who are unfamiliar with your house. The compromise is that a fully loaded KSG25 weighs a lot and is about 38” long. That’s why I’m currently doing a work up on the Tavor and looking at the possibility of it becoming a primary HD shotgun. 28” long, 16 rds. Semi auto, 8lbs empty. We’ll see.

My conclusion is that the author’s 7+1 Benelli is the better choice, regardless of the weight.
Ok, let's look at the “more than one determined intruder” aspect, assuming a double barrel shotgun. For this exercise we're also going to assume that the defender is “sheltering in place” in a bedroom, etc, and not actively going hunting (there's easier ways of committing suicide, you know?).

Now, unless you are facing a trained, tested, team of professional door-kickers...the first one comes through the door, and gets a heaping helping of buckshot.

This is not only going to wreck his day, but seriously screw up the plans of the rest of the team. If they’re stacking right behind hm...he's now a big lump of inert meat to trip over...and as #2 through the door does that, well...second verse, same as the first.

#3, at this point, is probably going to have a few reservations about going through that door, considering there’s a gory, leaking, knee-deep mound of dead/dying conspirators in front of him. Seriously...think they’re just gonna charge in right behind them? Remember, he has no idea that the defender is out of ammo...as far as he knows, there’s at least 3-4 more shots on tap...

At this point, of course, the defender has the option of reloading, or transitioning to a handgun, or other weapon.

And, really...if your lifestyle is one that trained teams of ex-SAS/SPETSNAZ/DEVGRU/ALLTHEACRONYMS are going to be kicking in your door...you may want to invest in professional security. Or seriously reconsider your lifestyle.

Now, all this being said, there’s nothing wrong with your KSG25 if that’s what makes you happy—absolutely, positively, more power to you.

But, realistically...events where it's going to give you a win over shotguns with less capacity...is pretty much a unicorn event.

Ok, let's look at the “more than one determined intruder” aspect, assuming a double barrel shotgun. For this exercise we're also going to assume that the defender is “sheltering in place” in a bedroom, etc, and not actively going hunting (there's easier ways of committing suicide, you know?).

Now, unless you are facing a trained, tested, team of professional door-kickers...the first one comes through the door, and gets a heaping helping of buckshot.

This is not only going to wreck his day, but seriously screw up the plans of the rest of the team. If they’re stacking right behind hm...he's now a big lump of inert meat to trip over...and as #2 through the door does that, well...second verse, same as the first.

#3, at this point, is probably going to have a few reservations about going through that door, considering there’s a gory, leaking, knee-deep mound of dead/dying conspirators in front of him. Seriously...think they’re just gonna charge in right behind them? Remember, he has no idea that the defender is out of ammo...as far as he knows, there’s at least 3-4 more shots on tap...

At this point, of course, the defender has the option of reloading, or transitioning to a handgun, or other weapon.

And, really...if your lifestyle is one that trained teams of ex-SAS/SPETSNAZ/DEVGRU/ALLTHEACRONYMS are going to be kicking in your door...you may want to invest in professional security. Or seriously reconsider your lifestyle.

Now, all this being said, there’s nothing wrong with your KSG25 if that’s what makes you happy—absolutely, positively, more power to you.

But, realistically...events where it's going to give you a win over shotguns with less capacity...is pretty much a unicorn event.
As I said, events that last longer than a few seconds and require more than one shot are pretty much unicorn events. So why is your 20” double barrel your back up?
And for the record, the KSG25 is not an inside toy. It’s not even my backup HD shotgun.

As I said, events that last longer than a few seconds and require more than one shot are pretty much unicorn events. So why is your 20” double barrel your back up?
And for the record, the KSG25 is not an inside toy. It’s not even my backup HD shotgun.
Backup because it is bombproof.

I also wouldn’t expect second or third intruders to just walk through a door their buddy just got blown back out of. Let’s say they have an AR though. Maybe they put about 20 rds through the wall and come in already firing.
My point isn’t that any of this is likely. Remember, everything is a compromise and the goal is to be the best prepared you possibly can.

The vast majority of CCW SD shootings occur within 5’ and involve 2 or 3 shots. So why doesn’t everyone just carry one of those little Ruger 380s that don’t have sights on them ? I mean you don’t need sights at 3 feet right?

My favorite shotguns are my Mossberg 590A1 Retrograde and my regular 590A1. Unfortunately, both of those are absolute tanks and are not practical for my wife. That's why my home defense shotgun is a Remington 870 Home Defense 20 gauge. It offers 6+1 capacity in a very light package with an 18.5" barrel. I put a youth stock on it to reduce the overall length for mobility purposes, and reduce the LOP to make it easier for my wife to fire.

I would always prefer a 12 gauge with 00 Buck, but 7 rounds of 20 gauge #4 Buck should be able to deter the overwhelming majority of attackers. I believe Remington discontinued the 20 gauge Home Defense line years ago, but they are great pump guns if you can find one. This is especially true for recoil-sensitive significant others.

Remington Home Defense 20 GA.jpg

Why isn’t it your number 1 ? Odds are one shot is enough.
Easier to hang a light on the Benelli (they don’t make Surefire forends for 686’s unfortunately...).

Also, the Benelli’s inertia system makes it lighter recoiling, giving faster follow ups.

And it’s not like it’s unreliable; far from it.

I simply accept the fact that a semi auto (or pump, for that matter) has several more opportunities to have freedway issues than an O/U.

I fired more LE 00 buck rounds than I could hope to remember. LE 00 bucks rounds fired from an 18" 870 is borderline unpleasant.

A shotgun is a very poor choice for home defense if a homeowner has to go room-to-room to assure security of kids. A bad guy can take a long gun from a good guy before the good guy realizes he's no longer armed. A short barreled shotgun is an excellent camping weapon while recreating in areas where mean critters live. The down side is a long gun slung across a fisherman's back in bear country is close to useless. Hence, my belief born of experience is a 1911-A1 .45 ACP is best for bear defense while fishing.

If I tent camped in bear country with my kids, I'd probably buy one of these:

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/1301-tactical/

My preference would be the SA .308 Win, but the 1301 Tactical with one-ounce slugs would be more than sufficient.

Back