testtest

The Frozen Chosen – Rifles on Ice

To be fair, this test does show a weakness in the AR design as it pertains to severe icing conditions, but that is not the whole story. There are conditions, such as mud, that can completely cripple platforms like the AK, yet the AR does just fine. Case in point...

I suppose that the moral of this story would be to chose the platform that best fits the environment that you expect to fighting in. Or, maybe the better moral would be to simply care for your fighting equipment so that it can care for you when needed.

Am I the only one who can't watch firearms going through torture tests? I HATE seeing a perfectly good gun getting such abuse...makes me sick to my stomach. I know, I know...somebody's gotta do it...but it makes me cringe.

Am I the only one who can't watch firearms going through torture tests? I HATE seeing a perfectly good gun getting such abuse...makes me sick to my stomach. I know, I know...somebody's gotta do it...but it makes me cringe.
Personally, I’ve always thought most ‘extreme torture tests’ are pointless.
Similar to pickup truck ads, where they bounce through rocks & boulders in a riverbed, with the windshield wipers on…

No you are not I agree and although they may make a certain point when they go to extreme they are totally pointless. I was interested and comfortable watching the first video until he poured water on them in sub zero temperatures and then was surprised when almost all of them failed to fire. In the subsequent videos supplied by other members I was impressed that the AR’s survived the mud test, that was astounding.

Great thread @Talyn

One needs to realize that a lube that has a wide temp range can work well on a firearms kept warm in cold temps, but a "cold-soaked" firearms may need an different lube that works in extreme consitions

One needs to realize that a lube that has a wide temp range can work well on a firearms kept warm in cold temps, but a "cold-soaked" firearms may need an different lube that works in extreme consitions

^ Again, absolutely agreed.

It's just that I don't remember seeing that being noted at-all in the video. All that GrandThumb mentioned was that the weapons were maintained as-appropriate for-conditions with CLP - which was why I asked whether if I missed it in his statements.

I use tuf glue and have never had cold weather issues thus far at least. But honestly, not sure what the coldest temps I have hunted in, minus 20 with a stiff breeze I do remember. And it was freaking miserable!!!!! Even with the wool blanket I carry wrapped around me that wind felt like knives.

On the plus side, my marlin worked.

Last edited:
I do remember one muzzleloading season where trees were were splitting due to freezing sap, made one heck of a noise.

When I fired the muzzleloader it was just not quite right, it was like the priming powder kind of fizzled slow. It went off but was not right.

Back