testtest

Tips on Choosing Ammunition for your Concealed Carry Revolver

“Kinetic energy doesn’t matter much either”.

A point I’ve been making for a good, long time...and why I don’t by the snake oil about the “dynamic fluid transfer” hoodoo loads that many manufacturers are hawking.

My snub loads are, in .38, either the “FBI load”—a 158gr+P SWC-HP (steel frames) or a 125-135gr +P (Rem Golden Saber, Win PDX1, or Gold Dot) in an alloy frame...not for recoil, but for POA/POI at longer ranges.

I've always felt that with any CCW I wouldn't be too concerned with any long range concerns. In any dire situation where my CCW is pulle/used, it will be a close range, maybe even bad breath confrontation. Non of us can be certain of what type of scenarios we'll find ourselves in, but in any event I can, I'm going to remove myself from it rather than get into a gun fight.

I'll never, ever pull on anyone to scare them, or to show them I'm armed, or any other situation I can think of except life/death. And certainly I'll admit there's no way any of us can ever think of all the possibilities, but my plan in any event where I can, is I'm leaving the area .... PRONTO!

With good situational awareness, most times we will see a need to leave before any action starts. I'll ensure my wife, family and friends are out of the fray first of all if at all possible, then decide from there what next steps are required. Hopefully, it'll never come to that and I'll never have to reconsider these options.

regards,
jumpinjoe

I've always felt that with any CCW I wouldn't be too concerned with any long range concerns. In any dire situation where my CCW is pulle/used, it will be a close range, maybe even bad breath confrontation. Non of us can be certain of what type of scenarios we'll find ourselves in, but in any event I can, I'm going to remove myself from it rather than get into a gun fight.

I'll never, ever pull on anyone to scare them, or to show them I'm armed, or any other situation I can think of except life/death. And certainly I'll admit there's no way any of us can ever think of all the possibilities, but my plan in any event where I can, is I'm leaving the area .... PRONTO!

With good situational awareness, most times we will see a need to leave before any action starts. I'll ensure my wife, family and friends are out of the fray first of all if at all possible, then decide from there what next steps are required. Hopefully, it'll never come to that and I'll never have to reconsider these options.

regards,
jumpinjoe

Will it most likely be close range? Yes.

But it might not be.

You assume you’ll be able to break contact if it’s longer, you assume your SA will catch it...too many assumptions.

Guess I’d rather have the ability to place accurate, longer-ranged fire should it be necessary than have to try and learn it on the spot.

Bonus—if you can make hits with a snub at 25 yards, you can make them at 5 yards because you’ve got the skills down—press, grip, sight picture.

Dont get me wrong—if I can get away, I will; I’m not going to charge in trying to be the action hero...but I acknowledge the fact that I may not be afforded the luxury of choice.

Just another tool in the toolbox, and I gotta say...it’s a fun one to have; one that’s paid off when I’m bet that I can’t hit the 25 yard gongs with a snub .38...

Double or nothing for doing it twice.

Will it most likely be close range? Yes.
We agree.
But it might not be.
I said exactly that, just in different words.
You assume you’ll be able to break contact if it’s longer, you assume your SA will catch it...too many assumptions.
I never said anything about 'assuming' anything. I rarely assume .... but I assume it has happend at some time.;)
Guess I’d rather have the ability to place accurate, longer-ranged fire should it be necessary than have to try and learn it on the spot.
Never said I didn't have the ability, I most assuredly do. Ever seen the movie Quigly Down Under? He never said he didn't know how to use a pistol, just that he didn't like them. Like Quigly, I never said I couldn't hit at longer ranges, just that I'd rather not.
Bonus—if you can make hits with a snub at 25 yards, you can make them at 5 yards because you’ve got the skills down—press, grip, sight picture.
Been shooting since about 5-6, and shooting handguns since probably 8-10. Shot lots of handgun competition in 80's and 90's, some out to 200 yds. Wife and I together in mid 80's would shoot just shy of 20,000 rounds/yr.
Dont get me wrong—if I can get away, I will; I’m not going to charge in trying to be the action hero...but I acknowledge the fact that I may not be afforded the luxury of choice.
Pretty sure I acknowledged that too.
Just another tool in the toolbox, and I gotta say...it’s a fun one to have; one that’s paid off when I’m bet that I can’t hit the 25 yard gongs with a snub .38...
Much, or at least some of my handgun practice and some comps were done with a Mod60/Pachmeyer grips .38 Spl and hand loads. More often than not, I held my own at whatever range.
Double or nothing for doing it twice.
You got me here .... I never did it on a bet that I recall. Mostly 40 rnd comps.

I'm pretty sure we both said about the same things, just in a little different wording. I'll say again, I hope it never comes down to a need to pull/use. But if it does, like you, I'm pretty sure I'll know what I'm doing.

regards,
jumpinjoe

Last edited:
Back