testtest

Update on Good Samaritan

The article headline is deceiving. Again the media merely soliciting a response from the audience. Wrongful Death is a common lawsuit and it probably will not be going through any complex, lengthy hearing or full trial, almost always a quick settlement process. WD, a civil matter is a follow up after there was no criminal charge, even though WD suits have no bearing or factor to a criminal proceeding outcome. Some jurisdictions even settle well beforehand and avoid the media spectacle, some require these legal proceedings to get to the monetary settlement. So its not exactly a sensational matter, just procedural.

I forgot about this incident, but it proves a point when citizens choose to get involved. Tragic accident no doubt, it’s unfortunate but attorneys see an fortuitous opportunity. I see no malice on the attorneys part, Hurley was in my opinion a hero and his family deserves compensation.

When a private citizen (or off duty LE) gets involved they have to be just as aware of their situation that even another good guy CC may also enter the field too, further adding to the confusion and communications. I believe LE had already been on the scene and Hurley didn’t know to retreat by then, his actions included picking up the assailants AR to release the magazine.

But as previously posted on how LE responds to active shooter incidents, had this been at a active shooter school situation like at Uvalde, and no details of who or where the assailant(s) might be, factor that responding LE may even be in civilian clothing too, even adding the rhetoric and the media‘s account that almost 100 LE “standing around” - it’s shoot/don’t shoot - these decisions have to be calculated precisely to eliminate collateral damage, injury or death.
Damned if you do/damned if you don’t.

Back