testtest

Veteran Rifle Marksman To Beginner

I want Information From a True Professional, A Veteran of The Sport. Decades in the Making. So after A Recent pistol purchase I became obsessed shooting Targets. Steel Targets only it I had the option all the time couldn’t just have a Pistol, I have to get a Semi Automatic Rifle. Of Course I looked Right into the AR-15’s. So I did my homework, and I picked the one I Liked Best.
It ended up being the Springfield Armory Saint Victor B5 AR-15 5.56 NATO with flip up rear and front sights. Ready to Go. So my home shooting range is indoors. It’s very close, it’s convenient, I Like it.

Have some problems now with the Rifle. I love the Sights. It’s a Very Accurate Rifle out the Box. Love Everything about it. The max I can send my paper target is 55 feet. Using my iron sights I literally get a headache just straining my eyes to aim correctly at that distance. The indoor lighting, safety glasses fogging up, glare from lights etc. I can barely hit it. Just to much Strain to do it.
So I heard a Red Dot Would Help. Went to get the Sig Sauer Romeo for my AR and the owner of the store talked me out of one. I go online, and everyone has a different opinion. Max I want to shoot is 300 Yards Hunting. That’s it. So From 0 -45 Feet and anything closer I’m very confident with my iron sights. Anything more I need Magnification. So how do I even Start this process? Is there anything anyone can tell me to narrow the search. Every AR has really nice optics and red dots that I see come to the range. Can you get fitted for Optics?and a Red Dot? I’m not paying $600 to get the one every one says is the best. I don’t need to sniper someone 850 yards away. Is the best route Amazon? Try and Return until you find one that works? I’d really appreciate some expert advice and how I even start the process of elimination. Like I said I know nothing. If I can see at 200 yards and in. I can hit it. A red dot would probably help. Magnification 100% So. Someone, please. Direct me to the promise land! I’d appreciate any advice-!

Look at LPVO (Low Power Variable Optic)—a 1-4, 1-6, or 1-8 power scope. Ones like the Primary Arms ACSS or the Vortex Strike Eagle have illuminated reticle that work more like a red dot at 1x, and traditional reticles at higher powers.

They’re going to run you under $500, with a decent mount.

I recently picked up a Sig BDX 2.5-8x37 for under $300, slapped it on my .308 PSA; used a ADM QD amount I had sitting around.
D1B65F37-DC94-4816-ADBF-8A4570B6C36A.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a Romeo 5 on mine. I have Romeo 5s on all kinds of ****. I really, really like them. That said, without a magnifier in front of them 100 yards is about the max realistic distance with any sort of consistency. For 300 yards you would want a magnifier on it. You'd be better off with a scope.

Edited because I couldn't remember the ones I was looking at. Hans has the right information here.

I have a Romeo 5 on mine. I have Romeo 5s on all kinds of ****. I really, really like them. That said, without a magnifier in front of them 100 yards is about the max realistic distance with any sort of consistency. For 300 yards you would want a magnifier on it. You'd be better off with a scope.

Edited because I couldn't remember the ones I was looking at. Hans has the right information here.
Have you heard about the Sig Romeo and Juliet magnifier?

I’m Trying to Group my 75-80 foot shots on a 8” gong. I hope whatever I buy Helps

Attachments

• F1B5E36F-2DE1-4AAF-AFFC-FFC5E10A0444.jpeg
    F1B5E36F-2DE1-4AAF-AFFC-FFC5E10A0444.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 136
You need to decide what your primary focus is going to be. At 80' a $149 Romeo 5 is all you need. At 200 yards you're going to need magnification. The problem with magnified optics at close range is it takes longer to find your target, so not good for self defense or timed competition. Also with a magnified optic there is eye relief. That means you have to put the optic a certain distance from your eye to see through it. That means your field of view is considerably smaller.
If you are not competing and not using the gun for self defense, get the LPVO if you plan on shooting more than 100 yards.

Crossfire is more of a rimfire scope, imho. Diamondbacks are better built...but, if the prices are similar...specifics? Power, objective lens size, or model #’s?

Back