testtest

Video: How To Zero Your Rifle....

the easiest way.

Hope I don't step on any toes here but .............. this guy is a putzzzz! At least in this video. Not only does he not know what the hell he's talking about, but he'll confuse everyone who watches the video except maybe the most experienced shooters. I won't go into all the things I see that makes him an ineffective teacher/instructor, but if you know what I'm referring to you'll also know why he's ineffective and confusing.

For all who have a chamber laser, then yes, it's a quick and convenient way to get close to your intended POA/POI. But then he goes into trying to explain all about moving the reticle, etc, in one of the most confusing efforts I've seen lately. In this video, his real topic is using the laser, not sighting in your rifle.

Bottom line is I hate these videos where the 'video-ee' knows less than the majority of those who would have an interest in his topic and actually tune in to watch. And when dealing with the topic of firearms, all effort should be made to ensure the message is interesting, accurate, concise/to the point, and real world.

If I've offended anyone here, I'll apologize in advance. Offending is not my intention. Pointing out the difference between good instruction and/or loving to hear oneself talk is my goal. And any instruction involving firearms should be nothing less than effective, accurate, detailed, and yes even interesting. This video, in my opinion, fails in every category.:confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:o_Oo_O:unsure::unsure: Sorry !!!!!

I'm not having any 2nd thoughts to what I posted earlier, but I do feel the need to explain a little better.

It's not often I nit-pik, and especially talk 'down' on someone/anyone else's efforts, and usually when I do I feel bad afterwards. I truly like seeing others try and/or make the effort. But when it concerns firearms, whether actual shooting or something as simple as cleaning, it really concerns me when this kind of video comes out.

Learning about 'tiddly winks' or 'pick-up stix' is one thing and certainly not as critically important to learn the correct way as is firearms. I've seen up close the results of a bad lesson and incorrect/confusing information provided regarding firearms. Now in this video there was actually not anything really dangerous, just that it was erratic and confusing to those less experienced.

If it appears I've jumped too hard on the guy, I'm sorry for the appearance. But anyone who takes on the responsibility of teaching anything firearm related, no matter how simple or obvious, must also take on the responsibility of accuracy.

You're entitled to your opinion, but some may find the video helpful.
Talyn, you're correct in that it's only my opinion. But it's an opinion based on many years experience in both shooting in general, and in "Zero'ing" rifles.

The real issue I had here is that he still hasn't "Zero'ed" in anything. What he has done is to get his rifle on target. There's a significant difference. And he's shooting at a target set at 22.5 yards according to his own statement. Then he claims he "pretty close" in several instances. But he doesn't explain that if he's off by only 1/4" at that range, he'll be off by

I got timed out and had to restart this post ..... sorry. So I'll try to correct it.

Talyn, you're correct in that it's only my opinion. But it's an opinion based on many years experience in shooting in general, instructing in specific, and in "Zero'ing" many rifles.

The real issue I had here is that he still hasn't "Zero'ed" anything. What he has done is to get his rifle reasonably on target. There's a significant difference. And he's shooting at a target set at 25.5 yards according to his own statement and measurement. Then he claims he's "pretty close" in several instances. But he doesn't explain that if he's off by only 1/4" at that range (in windage), he'll be off by or close to 1+" at 100 yards. Or that at 25 yards he'll need to change his scope setting four times the number of clicks to correct his "off a little" than he would at 100 yards, or to get the same amount of movement at 100 yards he'll have to move his scope setting 4 times less and why. And neither does he explain the difference between windage and trajectory. There was at least one instance when he was off "a little" on both I believe.

But it appears he's 'off' only a very small amount at that 25.5 yards, or in his words .... "a little". We can only guess how much, but, going by the apparently very small amount of change he made to his scope, it's not likely he would have moved his POI enough to actually see that difference on paper or steel. Especially considering he's shooting from a somewhat 'squatting'/'bending' position and from a bipod. C'mon, by no stretch can that be considered 'Zero'ing' of any rifle.

And then he fires one round and exclaims he needs to adjust his scope's reticle and then goes into a confusing dissertation of how the reticle moves in a different direction than he wants to move his POI, but doesn't explain why, or the correlation between the clicks/index marks on the scope turret to how far it will move/change his POI. Neither does he appear to understand that one shot typically is not and typically cannot be a true indicator of real POI compared to POA. Neither will a relatively new shooter. One who will fire one shot, then adjust his scope for that shot. Shoot again, then adjust the scope for that shot, and on and on.

He doesn't seem to grasp that with that one shot he could have pulled the shot, jerked the shot, flinched the shot, or any other number of reasons why that one shot may not be a good indicator, nor does he mentione that. I don't think I know of any professional instructor/trainer who would ever suggest adjusting a scope or any sight based on just one shot.

Now I'm going to just stop here with my observations of his video and his instructing technique since I'm not looking to offend anyone nor hurt any feelings. I even made mention that in my opinion he was "a 'putzzzz', at least in that video." implying he may not be a 'putzzzz' in any other endeavor. He may be a fine young man, experienced in many things, even firearms. It is his instruction technique I questioned, not his experience specifically, I'm pretty sure.

So again, I'll apologize to anyone who was offended or to whom I didn't make my intention clear. I would probably enjoy sitting down with him for a cold one most anytime, I just wouldn't want him instructing my kids or grand kids in anything relative to firearms. (y) (y) (y)

Both videos I watched were simple basics, I wouldn’t necessarily say they were of “instructional” value. These videos are simply to show a person whom may not know how to zero, a way to do it. In the military I learned to zero my rifle for 300 meters, shooting a target 25 meters away. The technique was sound for 300 meters but doesn’t work for engagements beyond 350.

In my opinion, the videos provide a very basic understanding of zeroing, and will work for plinkers shooting objects from 25-100 meters. Someone trying for competitive precision shooting should understand the basics, and near master trajectory mechanics or have that DOPE memorized...

Back