testtest

Video: Hunting & Home Defense: Pump Action vs Semi-Auto

I can see where either one would/could be an excellent choice for home defense, but I'm convinced there is absolutely nothing as definitive or as easily identifiable as a good 12ga pump action when the slide is racked. There's no sound an auto-loader can make that's as intimidating as that racking sound of a pump.

Well maybe the actual sound of a shot being fired, but that sound lasts way too short a time for the bad guy.

I have a bunch of pump shotguns. At least 3 are loaded and staged in my home right now. One thing no bad guy will ever hear is the sound of one of them “ Racking”. If you’re trying to intimidate a home intruder, you’re doing it wrong. You just gave away your position first of all. And that doesn’t even take into account the fact that you were relying on an UNLOADED shotgun to protect you and yours in an emergency situation.

I can see where either one would/could be an excellent choice for home defense, but I'm convinced there is absolutely nothing as definitive or as easily identifiable as a good 12ga pump action when the slide is racked. There's no sound an auto-loader can make that's as intimidating as that racking sound of a pump.

Well maybe the actual sound of a shot being fired, but that sound lasts way too short a time for the bad guy.

That’s what I refer to as “Shotgun Myth #2”...that racking a pump is an intimidation factor.

It’s just a bad idea. All it does is give away the element of surprise if it’s going bad...and gives them a direction to shoot in, if so inclined.

And, my preference is a reliable semiauto; I prefer Benelli inertia driven M1’s...but am looking to upgrade to a M4.

I am not a fan of semi auto shotguns for outdoor combat. However, all of the cons of semi auto go away when discussing a shotgun for protection inside or around a home. The only problem with semi autos is keeping them clean and maintained. They are way faster without a doubt for followup shots. We have two combat ready 1100s and two TAC 13s in our home ready to go.

That’s what I refer to as “Shotgun Myth #2”...that racking a pump is an intimidation factor.

It’s just a bad idea. All it does is give away the element of surprise if it’s going bad...and gives them a direction to shoot in, if so inclined.

And, my preference is a reliable semiauto; I prefer Benelli inertia driven M1’s...but am looking to upgrade to a M4.
HaHa! I didn't say that a 'rack' to intimidate should be the plan, and I never intend to intimidate if/when the time comes to dance. I was only referring to the sound being intimidating when it does/has to occur. And that's no "myth"! (y)

If/when a 12 ga pump action were to be/become my home defense tool, you can be assured it will already be 'racked' and ready for the first inning. Whether or not a second inning is necessary, that 'racking' sound will immediately occur, and you can bet if there is another bad guy within earshot, he'll be intimidated by that 'racking' sound! (y)

HaHa! I didn't say that a 'rack' to intimidate should be the plan, and I never intend to intimidate if/when the time comes to dance. I was only referring to the sound being intimidating when it does/has to occur. And that's no "myth"! (y)

If/when a 12 ga pump action were to be/become my home defense tool, you can be assured it will already be 'racked' and ready for the first inning. Whether or not a second inning is necessary, that 'racking' sound will immediately occur, and you can bet if there is another bad guy within earshot, he'll be intimidated by that 'racking' sound! (y)
I think he would be intimidated by the first shot.

I keep my Mossberg cruiser-ready for the simple reason that it is not drop-safe. My revolvers, XD-s, and Hellcat all keep a round in the chamber...but they are drop-safe.

No rule says you have to "pre-rack" a pump. You can rack it very easily as you bring it on target. You are holding the slide with your support hand, after all...rack as you raise, then pull the trigger. Pretty simple.

I keep my Mossberg cruiser-ready for the simple reason that it is not drop-safe. My revolvers, XD-s, and Hellcat all keep a round in the chamber...but they are drop-safe.

No rule says you have to "pre-rack" a pump. You can rack it very easily as you bring it on target. You are holding the slide with your support hand, after all...rack as you raise, then pull the trigger. Pretty simple.

I think the argument others are making has two points:

One it is faster and more instinctive to just raise the gun and pull the trigger;
Two, you have one less round if you start with an empty chamber.

That said, I understand your reasons for doing otherwise.

I don't consider racking a shotgun slide as a defensive technique. Would racking the slide on a semi-auto pistol to do the same?

It's always best to keep undetected for as long as possible. Racking a slide just announces your presence to an intruder, then it's up to them whether to continue.

I wouldn't want to risk something going wrong when doing so, just as a scare factor.

If you want to scare/disorient someone use a firecracker pack (the one that's strung together to the whole pack goes off) or another distraction/diversionary device.

It isn't a distraction technique for me, as I said. And if 5 rounds versus six makes that big a difference, at close quarters, in my home, where I know my layout, with the element of surprise? I need to practice more. Or, there's enough of "them" that I didn't stand a chance in the first place.

I understand brother. In all reality you would most likely have the extra second it would take to load the chamber. I have argued with guys that keep earpro next to their HD weapon and claim they would put it on before grabbing their weapon in a "Things that go bump in the night" scenario. I personally want every advantage I can get, including that extra second and the element of surprise, but that's just me.

Back