testtest

Weak Hand Shooting: Tips to Improve Support Hand Skills

I really like Pew Pew's articles. They tend to be well-written/presented and well-researched, as well as fairly complete and without much bias.

Thanks for linking this one, @Annihilator (y)

-----

A couple of things that I'd like to bring up for consideration -

In the Stance portion, the author suggests that blading your body has the added benefit of allowing you to present a smaller target to your threat. While I do agree that presenting less of your body for the threat to shoot at is in and of itself is a good thing, I do not agree that blading itself is *_always_* good. One particularly big concern with blading is the risk of taking damage to both lungs.

Additionally, he dismisses stance overall (deferring to a previous article written about what are traditionally freestyle stances), and I feel that this is an oversimplification if only for the fact that many of today's top shooters stress the importance of stance *especially* when it comes to one-handed-shooting. Remember that as we start to compromise one aspect of the fundamentals of marksmanship, we must increase our efforts in the other areas in order to mitigate/lessen the impact that compromise causes. Robert Vogel, for-instance, goes in-depth into his lower body stance and upper body presentation when he teaches his preferred single-handed technique.

Finally, while the author explores the benefit that certain gear setup (i.e. appendix) can facilitate single (particularly support-side) draw, another -potentially equally as important- consideration about gear is that having the right gear itself can sometimes help with single-handed techniques. For example, the PHLster City Special revolver holster is configured specifically to allow the insertion of the open cylinder into the holster, to assist with single-handed reloads.

-----

[ The following is pretty much the same as what I'd written in September, in @HayesGreener 's surgery recovery thread - https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/non-gun-hand-drills.9149/#post-114652 ]

Overall, as an average-Joe type law-abiding concealed-carry citizen, I feel very strongly that single-handed skills - both in terms of shooting/marksmanship as well as weapons manipulation - should be well-practiced. Because of the manner in which a significant portion of violent assaults may present, the I feel that we must take into consideration that we may be injured by the time we start being able to fight back.

Similarly, for those of us who are parents of younger children or whose daily life sees activities where one of our arms/hands is engaged in some other task, at the very least, the single-handed draw should be well-practiced.

One area I really liked about the article was the author highlighting that these skills should be well-rehearsed in dry-fire before live-fire is even considered. Due to the nature of these techniques, there is a very real chance of catastrophic consequences due to improper execution. I've been trying to find the original source, to no avail, but a few years ago, there was a death in a concealed-carry course because the instructor decided to show have a novice/beginner student execute a single-handed technique that they, in-retrospect, obviously wasn't ready for.

For those looking for live instruction, among others, Chris Costa's (Costa Ludus) HET2 and CET2 offer a deep-dive into single-handed manipulations for handgun/carbine, and classes by Centrifuge Training also contain focus on single-handed considerations. Similarly, various local-level classes have sprung up as of the last 3 years or so that focus specifically on "injured shooter" techniques, and these tend to be excellent (assuming that the instructor/school is properly vetted, of-course), and can offer the chance to explore alternative techniques -or simply offer more depth- due to typically smaller class sizes (for example, techniques where the muzzle is not pointed "downrange" can rarely be explored in any other than a class that's small enough to offer individual 1:1 line time with the instructional cadre).

In terms of self-guided instructional videos, I really liked the old Magpul Dynamics "The Art of the Dynamic Handgun" materials. Unfortunately, since these videos went out-of-production, they've become somewhat of a collector's item, and now command a premium on resale sites like eBay. Nevertheless, they remain accessible on YouTube if you search diligently enough. The late Paul Gomez's free videos are still available now on YouTube, under his tribute Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/Gomez8136/videos - and he had several excellent single-hand videos in that library.

Last edited:
I really like Pew Pew's articles. They tend to be well-written/presented and well-researched, as well as fairly complete and without much bias.

Thanks for linking this one, @Annihilator (y)

-----

A couple of things that I'd like to bring up for consideration -

In the Stance portion, the author suggests that blading your body has the added benefit of allowing you to present a smaller target to your threat. While I do agree that presenting less of your body for the threat to shoot at is in and of itself is a good thing, I do not agree that blading itself is *_always_* good. One particularly big concern with blading is the risk of taking damage to both lungs.

Additionally, he dismisses stance overall (deferring to a previous article written about what are traditionally freestyle stances), and I feel that this is an oversimplification if only for the fact that many of today's top shooters stress the importance of stance *especially* when it comes to one-handed-shooting. Remember that as we start to compromise one aspect of the fundamentals of marksmanship, we must increase our efforts in the other areas in order to mitigate/lessen the impact that compromise causes. Robert Vogel, for-instance, goes in-depth into his lower body stance and upper body presentation when he teaches his preferred single-handed technique.

Finally, while the author explores the benefit that certain gear setup (i.e. appendix) can facilitate single (particularly support-side) draw, another -potentially equally as important- consideration about gear is that having the right gear itself can sometimes help with single-handed techniques. For example, the PHLster City Special revolver holster is configured specifically to allow the insertion of the open cylinder into the holster, to assist with single-handed reloads.

-----

[ The following is pretty much the same as what I'd written in September, in @HayesGreener 's surgery recovery thread - https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/non-gun-hand-drills.9149/#post-114652 ]

Overall, as an average-Joe type law-abiding concealed-carry citizen, I feel very strongly that single-handed skills - both in terms of shooting/marksmanship as well as weapons manipulation - should be well-practiced. Because of the manner in which a significant portion of violent assaults may present, the I feel that we must take into consideration that we may be injured by the time we start being able to fight back.

Similarly, for those of us who are parents of younger children or whose daily life sees activities where one of our arms/hands is engaged in some other task, at the very least, the single-handed draw should be well-practiced.

One area I really liked about the article was the author highlighting that these skills should be well-rehearsed in dry-fire before live-fire is even considered. Due to the nature of these techniques, there is a very real chance of catastrophic consequences due to improper execution. I've been trying to find the original source, to no avail, but a few years ago, there was a death in a concealed-carry course because the instructor decided to show have a novice/beginner student execute a single-handed technique that they, in-retrospect, obviously wasn't ready for.

For those looking for live instruction, among others, Chris Costa's (Costa Ludus) HET2 and CET2 offer a deep-dive into single-handed manipulations for handgun/carbine, and classes by Centrifuge Training also contain focus on single-handed considerations. Similarly, various local-level classes have sprung up as of the last 3 years or so that focus specifically on "injured shooter" techniques, and these tend to be excellent (assuming that the instructor/school is properly vetted, of-course), and can offer the chance to explore alternative techniques -or simply offer more depth- due to typically smaller class sizes (for example, techniques where the muzzle is not pointed "downrange" can rarely be explored in any other than a class that's small enough to offer individual 1:1 line time with the instructional cadre).

In terms of self-guided instructional videos, I really liked the old Magpul Dynamics "The Art of the Dynamic Handgun" materials. Unfortunately, since these videos went out-of-production, they've become somewhat of a collector's item, and now command a premium on resale sites like eBay. Nevertheless, they remain accessible on YouTube if you search diligently enough. The late Paul Gomez's free videos are still available now on YouTube, under his tribute Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/Gomez8136/videos - and he had several excellent single-hand videos in that library.
Ok.. i’ll comment on one paragraph. The first one.
Blading.
Always stand with a blading stance.

Why you may ask?

Watch 99% of the folks at the range next to you and watch 90% of the LEO’s on film shoot at a subject.

Example: news article
14 rounds fired and “bob” got shot in the ankle and is in jail with stable condition.

Everyday Folks cant hit the broad side of a normal target. Looks like a shotgun went off all around the torso target but not in it. Seal Team 6 isnt engaging you in a gun battle. Johnny Perp who swiped the gun yesterday is.

Present less of a target. Cause johnny Joe and Johnny perp wont hit you.

I tell all everyone. If you get in a gun battle, run away in a straight line. Cause the normal gun owner cant shoot straight to save their a$$

Good article on weak hand shooting, something I should practice more on.

Shooting weak hand “for me my left” was not something I practiced a lot on it was part of the shooting test for the security protection license and although I didn’t score a high number I passed.
It will be something I’ll be practicing more on.
I do agree with @KillerFord1977 during the classes I took and watching the videos provided many of the “bad guys” just spray rounds in all directions because they were for the most part not expecting to be shot back at.

It is good to train with your non dominant hand. My left hand is generally useful for working a steak knife and loading magazines and not much else. Every instructor course I ever attended included a non-dominant side component and always draws groans from students, but you gotta do it. It's why we practice it, and injured officer drills, a lot.

With respect to bladed stances, or any of the other named stances, they are good for training programs, but things happen so fast you may have to go with what you got. I have talked to a number of officers involved in shootings and none could tell me where their feet were. There is no time allowance for getting into the proper stance. So you train to the optimum if you can get it, but also for the awkward position you might find yourself in.

One training scenario I have used is having the officer return fire with the non-gun hand from behind a barricade while holding pressure on a wounded partner's wound. Add reloading and gun handling and it gets sporty. There are many variations but the point is you don't get to choose a classic range training stance.

Tactics and situational awareness help to avoid the fight. Rapid presentation and solid hits are king, stance is secondary when hostilities begin.

Ok.. i’ll comment on one paragraph. The first one.
Blading.
Always stand with a blading stance.

Why you may ask?

Watch 99% of the folks at the range next to you and watch 90% of the LEO’s on film shoot at a subject.

Example: news article
14 rounds fired and “bob” got shot in the ankle and is in jail with stable condition.

Everyday Folks cant hit the broad side of a normal target. Looks like a shotgun went off all around the torso target but not in it. Seal Team 6 isnt engaging you in a gun battle. Johnny Perp who swiped the gun yesterday is.

Present less of a target. Cause johnny Joe and Johnny perp wont hit you.

I tell all everyone. If you get in a gun battle, run away in a straight line. Cause the normal gun owner cant shoot straight to save their a$$
I assume that last sentence was meant as a joke. No class or instructor I have ever run across suggests running from gunfire in a straight line.

"Tactics and situational awareness help to avoid the fight. Rapid presentation and solid hits are king, stance is secondary when hostilities begin."

There she is boys, that last sentence is a gem. I'm not going to conscientiously "blade" nor any other thing that takes away from speed/precision; I'm focused on taking the SOB out, not planning on contingencies/being injured. My plan.

^ Towards @C. Sumpin 's last, which itself encompasses the last series of responses since my post above -

Whether to run in zig-zag or in a straight line - or running at all - is context dependent: http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/dont-run-in-a-straight-line-and-other-bad-advice

What's important is to fight when you have to fight (and deliver as many shots as accurately on-target as possible), and when you have to flee, to flee expeditiously and in a way which maximizes your chances of survival.

For the former, again wrapping back to the discussion at-hand about stance - which @KillerFord1977 , @HayesGreener, and @Keystone19250 all contributed to - the context of the fight in the real-world is more than likely dynamic versus static, and this is the lack of correlation between lower-level training and real-world shootings that many, from notable trainers like the late Louis Awerbuck to average Joes/Janes like us, have noted. Stance -and any other shooting fundamental- is, in this context, thus only incorporated into the equation as that "snapshot" of a moment during our movements.

Certainly, both training -and just our human instinct to move away from danger and make for the smallest physical profile- will likely mean that most of us will NOT present in the belt-buckle-to-belt-buckle manner that's typical of static shooting stances. Similarly, we cannot say that we'll even always be standing. However, to suggest that we should always blade without understanding the risks that stance presents (the physiologic devastation of having both lungs damaged cannot be overstated, and should not be made light of when given the terminal capabilities of today's common cartridges) is to remove crucial nuance from the recommendation - just like the idea that we should either always -or never- run away from the threat in a straight line.

Similarly, training a static stance should not be equated to insisting that's what's going to be used in the fight. The dynamics of the fight is just that - dynamic. But training to properly establish the fundamental should not be glossed over, particularly either at the novice/beginner level or as we train ourselves (or others). We should not say that just because the fight is dynamic that we don't train discrete stances, presentations, grips, breathing, sight-alignment/sight-picture etc. - because at the snapshot moment(s) that we take that shot, it is these fundamentals that *always* matters. If the shooter cannot score a hit within the confines of the BSA template when static, there is virtually no way they will be able to accomplish the same, under stress and in a dynamic situation, be it in training or in real-life.

The level of marksmanship that Mr. Wilson exhibited in the White Settlement, TX, church shooting, or that of Officer Johnson's single-handed horseback shot at 100 yards to end the threat in Austin (although it was not a clean shot, as ballistics later revealed) are not arrived at without fundamentals. Similarly, it was reverting the the fundamentals that allowed officer Gramins to finally call an end to his shootout.

It's my belief that as enthusiasts, we should show those who actually decide to hit that "Join the Discussion" radio-button at the end of the articles that there's further nuance to explore.

^ Towards @C. Sumpin 's last, which itself encompasses the last series of responses since my post above -

Whether to run in zig-zag or in a straight line - or running at all - is context dependent: http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/dont-run-in-a-straight-line-and-other-bad-advice

What's important is to fight when you have to fight (and deliver as many shots as accurately on-target as possible), and when you have to flee, to flee expeditiously and in a way which maximizes your chances of survival.

For the former, again wrapping back to the discussion at-hand about stance - which @KillerFord1977 , @HayesGreener, and @Keystone19250 all contributed to - the context of the fight in the real-world is more than likely dynamic versus static, and this is the lack of correlation between lower-level training and real-world shootings that many, from notable trainers like the late Louis Awerbuck to average Joes/Janes like us, have noted. Stance -and any other shooting fundamental- is, in this context, thus only incorporated into the equation as that "snapshot" of a moment during our movements.

Certainly, both training -and just our human instinct to move away from danger and make for the smallest physical profile- will likely mean that most of us will NOT present in the belt-buckle-to-belt-buckle manner that's typical of static shooting stances. Similarly, we cannot say that we'll even always be standing. However, to suggest that we should always blade without understanding the risks that stance presents (the physiologic devastation of having both lungs damaged cannot be overstated, and should not be made light of when given the terminal capabilities of today's common cartridges) is to remove crucial nuance from the recommendation - just like the idea that we should either always -or never- run away from the threat in a straight line.

Similarly, training a static stance should not be equated to insisting that's what's going to be used in the fight. The dynamics of the fight is just that - dynamic. But training to properly establish the fundamental should not be glossed over, particularly either at the novice/beginner level or as we train ourselves (or others). We should not say that just because the fight is dynamic that we don't train discrete stances, presentations, grips, breathing, sight-alignment/sight-picture etc. - because at the snapshot moment(s) that we take that shot, it is these fundamentals that *always* matters. If the shooter cannot score a hit within the confines of the BSA template when static, there is virtually no way they will be able to accomplish the same, under stress and in a dynamic situation, be it in training or in real-life.

The level of marksmanship that Mr. Wilson exhibited in the White Settlement, TX, church shooting, or that of Officer Johnson's single-handed horseback shot at 100 yards to end the threat in Austin (although it was not a clean shot, as ballistics later revealed) are not arrived at without fundamentals. Similarly, it was reverting the the fundamentals that allowed officer Gramins to finally call an end to his shootout.

It's my belief that as enthusiasts, we should show those who actually decide to hit that "Join the Discussion" radio-button at the end of the articles that there's further nuance to explore.
I was being sarcastic on the running part. Tongue in cheek on most “ordinary” folks cannot shoot the broad side of a barn at 10feet

I was being sarcastic on the running part. Tongue in cheek on most “ordinary” folks cannot shoot the broad side of a barn at 10feet
I’m big on situational awareness as what I believe someone mentioned in a previous post and I contribute that to close to 40 years riding motorcycles.
I Completely believe in having my head on a swivel and know everything about where I’m going and what I could be getting myself into.
To many people have there eyes on there phone yes even while driving.
Getting involved in a gunfight is absolutely the last thing I want to do but if it happens I keep myself mentally and physically prepared.

I’m big on situational awareness as what I believe someone mentioned in a previous post and I contribute that to close to 40 years riding motorcycles.
I Completely believe in having my head on a swivel and know everything about where I’m going and what I could be getting myself into.
To many people have there eyes on there phone yes even while driving.
Getting involved in a gunfight is absolutely the last thing I want to do but if it happens I keep myself mentally and physically prepared.
The most effective weapon you have is the 3lbs inside your skull.

I'd rather practice shooting weak handed, then work on draws and reloads. If you can't shoot, why bother with the other?
At the two ranges I frequent, 1 indoor, 1 outdoor no one is allowed to draw and shoot, you are allowed however to pick the gun up from the table and shoot so I practice doing that often.
The outdoor range you can shoot from both sides of your table so with gun resting on the table I’ll pick it up strong hand shoot 3, put it down go to the other side pick it up weak hand shoot 3 put it down go back to other side pick it up go to a two hand grip and unload mag.
I don’t go for speed I go for smooth.

At the two ranges I frequent, 1 indoor, 1 outdoor no one is allowed to draw and shoot, you are allowed however to pick the gun up from the table and shoot so I practice doing that often.
The outdoor range you can shoot from both sides of your table so with gun resting on the table I’ll pick it up strong hand shoot 3, put it down go to the other side pick it up weak hand shoot 3 put it down go back to other side pick it up go to a two hand grip and unload mag.
Makes sense to me.
I have been able to reserve a bay for myself at an outside range before. In that case, I could do draws and drills.

23D424ED-59D7-4CB8-95CB-E562F3A0EBD4.jpeg

The best thing you can do weak-handed will cost you no money and virtually no time, and that is to just HANDLE the gun with your off hand until it no longer feels like a foreign object. Make triple-sure it's EMPTY, then hold/fondle/manipulate it with your off hand while you're watching TV, reading a book, looking at the computer, or any other home activity where you can safely do it. It will probably take MANY hours before the gun begins to feel comfortable there. Grip it, pull the trigger, manipulate the controls--safety, slide stop, mag catch, cylinder latch, whatever--until your off hand can run the gun almost as easily as your strong hand. As I said, this can take many hours over a period of weeks or months, but you're doing it in time that you're "doing" something else so it "takes" little if any time.

The next thing to do is get your eye situation sorted out. When shooting off-handed, I'm cross-dominant. There are several ways to handle this. After some live-fire experimentation, I decided the best way FOR ME to handle it was to just cant the gun over 15 or 20 degrees and shoot with my right eye, as normal. Yes the rounds impact "low and outside" a little bit at range but not enough to matter in a gunfight. You might be able to work out what works for YOU in dry-fire or it might require some live-fire shooting, but the point is to pick a solution to the problem so you KNOW what to do if you ever have to, without having to figger it out on the fly.

The best thing you can do weak-handed will cost you no money and virtually no time, and that is to just HANDLE the gun with your off hand until it no longer feels like a foreign object. Make triple-sure it's EMPTY, then hold/fondle/manipulate it with your off hand while you're watching TV, reading a book, looking at the computer, or any other home activity where you can safely do it. It will probably take MANY hours before the gun begins to feel comfortable there. Grip it, pull the trigger, manipulate the controls--safety, slide stop, mag catch, cylinder latch, whatever--until your off hand can run the gun almost as easily as your strong hand. As I said, this can take many hours over a period of weeks or months, but you're doing it in time that you're "doing" something else so it "takes" little if any time.

The next thing to do is get your eye situation sorted out. When shooting off-handed, I'm cross-dominant. There are several ways to handle this. After some live-fire experimentation, I decided the best way FOR ME to handle it was to just cant the gun over 15 or 20 degrees and shoot with my right eye, as normal. Yes the rounds impact "low and outside" a little bit at range but not enough to matter in a gunfight. You might be able to work out what works for YOU in dry-fire or it might require some live-fire shooting, but the point is to pick a solution to the problem so you KNOW what to do if you ever have to, without having to figger it out on the fly.

I'm left eye dominant and shoot right handed. I also cant my head slightly so the sights are lined up behind my left eye, but I shoot with both eyes open. And my shots impact where I aim. Well, mostly. ;)

Back