testtest

Well finally a court ruling that makes sense!

I wonder who “bankrolled“ the suit, I’m guessing it wasn’t Javy (Maybe pro Bono?). Probably not the ACLU, as they seldom consider 2A infringements a constitutional right (But perhaps they took it on for reasons of being an undocumented person). I wonder if he‘s still in jail, or was it one of those “released without bail & appear later in court” deals? In NYC, it’s something like a mandatory 3-5 year sentence if found guilty for just having a gun on your person (that includes pellet or BB guns that they consider as being firearms, if caught in the City, although I’m sure plea deals can reduce that sentence length), let alone firing it in the air, which would probably incur an even heavier sentence. I’m thinking that I‘d probably still be in jail there, if I was just caught with my legally purchased firearm on my person.

Wait, there was a challenge to that?

It was probably argued by the Federal Defender's office since Perez was likely indigent. No private funding is necessary for that. They're public defenders for federal crimes.

Last edited:
On further inspection, it was in fact the Federal Defender's office. I guess that's the only play they could have had to get him off. The feds generally don't charge unless they have the case sew up before they even file it.

I guess this ruling only applies to those areas within the U.S. 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals jurisdiction. Not wanting this case to end up in the Supreme Court I would doubt that any other liberal appeal courts would rule differently.

Only US citizens should be able to possess/purchase firearms!!!!!! A driver's license and/or proof of residency does not make a US citizen! Green cards don't count either for purchase of firearms!

I have a slightly different take. I think people who immigrated here legally and have permanent resident status but do not wish to become US citizens, like our German compatriot @HansGruber, should be able to have guns. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I actually have a German friend who has been here for about 40 years now. I haven't seen him in probably 15 years. He's a school teacher and a gun enthusiast with many very cool guns. He didn't want to give up his German citizenship so he refused to become a US citizen. I have no problem with him having guns. Where I'd come down on his constitutionally protected 2A rights is a bit muddy. As a general rule I do not subscribe to the theory that non citizens have the same constitutional rights we do. But, there is a difference between people who came here the right way and "Undocumented" people.

I have a slightly different take. I think people who immigrated here legally and have permanent resident status but do not wish to become US citizens, like our German compatriot @HansGruber, should be able to have guns. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I actually have a German friend who has been here for about 40 years now. I haven't seen him in probably 15 years. He's a school teacher and a gun enthusiast with many very cool guns. He didn't want to give up his German citizenship so he refused to become a US citizen. I have no problem with him having guns. Where I'd come down on his constitutionally protected 2A rights is a bit muddy. As a general rule I do not subscribe to the theory that non citizens have the same constitutional rights we do. But, there is a difference between people who came here the right way and "Undocumented" people.
Productive non citizens are a plus, but give 1 a chance and all the rest will cry about not owning 1! I'm also not saying that every non citizen is bad! Why should they get what we have as a US citizen? We go to their country and will have less rights than their citizens (depending on the country?), so there is no reason for them to have our rights as a citizen. Fair treatment, sure! Equal constitutional rights as in fair trial sure.

I don't think a system of reciprocity should be extended to citizens of other countries. I expect we would end up giving away more than we'd get back in return. Perhaps we need another amendment to the Constitution that clarifies the the rights of citizens both natural born and naturalized vs non-citizens, either legal or not.

I don't think a system of reciprocity should be extended to citizens of other countries. I expect we would end up giving away more than we'd get back in return. Perhaps we need another amendment to the Constitution that clarifies the the rights of citizens both natural born and naturalized vs non-citizens, either legal or not.
I don't think we need an amendment for non citizens legal or not.

Frankly I don't think the constitution should apply to non citizens. That said, I certainly think they should enjoy many of the same basic human rights the rest of us do. Free Speech, the ability to arm themselves in their own defense. Freedom from unlawful search and seizure. etc..

Back