testtest

well, just another toy to play with

Old_Me

Ronin
for for the past 600 or so reloads i have been producing, i went ahead and "experimented" with Iosso brass cleaner.

stuff works really quite well.

i wash the brass with dishwashing liquid after i drain off the Iosso, and for me, i only have cold water in the basement.

but the nagging problem of drying that brass......

towel dry, air dry, spin dry in the media spin wheel....but NO...not in my Mrs oven..>!!!!!

not too satisfied with the results, of the long drying times.

looked up the Lyman dehydrator. (as i had in the past, when i toyed with wet cleaning)

amazon had it for the same price as Midway USA.

but free shipping from amazon.

it arrived minutes ago, i ordered it yesterday about this time in fact.

MIdway would have been a few days.

"just in time", i have like, 200 45 ACP cases, (out of 700 cases, that have already been cleaned and polished), that need to be processed.

so that 200 should be an easy learning curve.

"just another toy".............

for for the past 600 or so reloads i have been producing, i went ahead and "experimented" with Iosso brass cleaner.

stuff works really quite well.

i wash the brass with dishwashing liquid after i drain off the Iosso, and for me, i only have cold water in the basement.

but the nagging problem of drying that brass......

towel dry, air dry, spin dry in the media spin wheel....but NO...not in my Mrs oven..>!!!!!

not too satisfied with the results, of the long drying times.

looked up the Lyman dehydrator. (as i had in the past, when i toyed with wet cleaning)

amazon had it for the same price as Midway USA.

but free shipping from amazon.

it arrived minutes ago, i ordered it yesterday about this time in fact.

MIdway would have been a few days.

"just in time", i have like, 200 45 ACP cases, (out of 700 cases, that have already been cleaned and polished), that need to be processed.

so that 200 should be an easy learning curve.

"just another toy".............
Sounds like to much work, I never dwelled on how shiny my brass was, I just put them in my tumbler to clean them and loaded them back up

Sounds like to much work, I never dwelled on how shiny my brass was, I just put them in my tumbler to clean them and loaded them back up
That's pretty much what I do also with walnut media and a few drops of ammonia free brass polish. The finished brass comes out clean and fairly shiney. A friend of mine that got me into reloading doesn't care if the brass is shiney as he said, “as long as the brass is clean I don't care about shine".

That's pretty much what I do also with walnut media and a few drops of ammonia free brass polish. The finished brass comes out clean and fairly shiney. A friend of mine that got me into reloading doesn't care if the brass is shiney as he said, “as long as the brass is clean I don't care about shine".
Yep, same here…..☝️☝️

A buddy turned me on to stainless steel media a while back. Does great, but you do have to dry the brass…

I just use the oven, though.
1686097935847.jpeg

😬😬😬😬

A buddy turned me on to stainless steel media a while back. Does great, but you do have to dry the brass…

I just use the oven, though.
yup, an old timer.......who "hangs" at the mom/pop gun store, been reloading like 50 years now, and got into the steel pins decades ago, and swears by that. i'd rather not get into that method.

After the walnut media switch it out to clean corncob media. Your brass will be bright as new..
well, when i bought the reloading room from the RSO, it came with 2 media tumblers.

i use one with walnut for cleaning, the other with corn cob for polishing

to keep the walnut media "clean"..??

someone at a site mentioned using a dryer sheet (a used one, not fresh/new), in the media. i have seen the results where it "blackens" the dryer sheets with some of the residue, keeping it cleaner for a longer time.

UPDATE

ok, so i processed 106, 45 ACP brass cases, thru the Iosso, and then the Lyman dehydrator.

on the instructions for the dehydrator, it says "on average" it takes about 90 minutes to dry, then when they cool down, test a few by trying to shake water out of them. if water comes out, then reset the drier for another 90 minutes.

i chose to just set the darned thing to 2 hours.

when they cooled down, not a drop of water, out of any cases that i removed to "check"...

and NO water stains on the brass.

now true, the dehydrator can hold anywhere from 1,000 to 2,000 cases of assorted sized brass, so maybe 90 minutes won't be enough to dry all of them.

on average, i have 100 cases of whatever i shot at 1 range trip, and maybe about an additional 100, if i go a second time.

meaning, i only clean brass once a week.

and i do not mix calibers, so i hold off until i want to reload a particular caliber.

am i satisfied with the outcome..??

i'd say yes, but i also will not put away the walnut media either.

Back