testtest

Went shooting

the obsrver

Master Class
First time since last year. I did not do well. I should say I did not do well with my pos side arm. It always was bad and it can hit mass, but that is about it. Shot the wifes shield and did pretty good. all side arms were shot at 10 yards today. Shot the 9mm carbine and did ok @ 50 yards. tight group and all a little high and right but within 3 in of the bulls eye.
Shot the saint edge and well.... I had not sighted in the vortex spitfire 5x. It said sight it in at 50 yards. it shot a little high and right. But like the 9mm were close. I thought, maybe I am just shooting high and right a bit today. Moved out to 100 which is supposed to be what would be the first "crosshairs" in the scope (it has built in ones for bullet drop. But ended up shooting way high.. Hmmmmm. I was shooting at half clay pigeons we found at the range and could hit them every once and awhile, but not well enough. Moved out to 200 yards and shooting at a target that is about 10x10 and using the second "crosshair" for bullet drop, 0 for 5 even hit the target anywhere. Went back to 100 and that is when I figured out it was shooting high and those built in bullet drop marks were way off. Last 5 shots for the day, @ 200 yards with the dot center target, 2 hits, both an inch and half high, one on each side of center and inch.
I should note this is the first 50 rounds I have put through the saint edge so it is not broken in.
We had a good day with about 300 rounds of 9mm down range and 50 5,56.
My wife is getting way more comfortable and man she is a pretty good shot. She was putting all but 1 or maybe 2 rounds out of a mag into a medium sized red bull can which is thinner than a pop can @ 30ft. Her best shooting is with her side arm, but she can do pretty good with the rifles as well. She had a good shooting day and I was a little off. That;s how it goes.
Sorry so long and boring, just pretty excited to get out and shoot!!!!!

Last edited:
First time since last year. I did not do well. I should say I did not do well with my pos side arm. It always was bad and it can hit mass, but that is about it. Shot the wifes shield and did pretty good. all side arms were shot at 10 yards today. Shot the 9mm carbine and did ok @ 50 yards. tight group and all a little high and right but within 3 in of the bulls eye.
Shot the saint edge and well.... I had not sighted in the vortex spitfire 5x. It said sight it in at 50 yards. it shot a little high and right. But like the 9mm were close. I thought, maybe I am just shooting high and right a bit today. Moved out to 100 which is supposed to be what would be the first "crosshairs" in the scope (it has built in ones for bullet drop. But ended up shooting a little low with the dot. Hmmmmm. I was shooting at half clay pigeons we found at the range and could hit them every once and awhile, but not well enough. Moved out to 200 yards and shooting at a target that is about 10x10 and using the second "crosshair" for bullet drop, 0 for 5 even hit the target anywhere. Went back to 100 and that is when I figured out it was shooting high and those built in bullet drop marks were way off. Last 5 shots for the day, @ 200 yards with the dot center target, 2 hits, both an inch and half high, one on each side of center and inch.
I should note this is the first 50 rounds I have put through the saint edge.
We had a good day with about 300 rounds of 9mm down range and 50 5,56.
My wife is getting way more comfortable and man she is a pretty good shot. She was putting all but 1 or maybe 2 rounds into a medium sized red bull can which is thinner than a pop can @ 30ft. Her best shooting is with her side arm, but she can do pretty good with the rifles as well. She had a good shooting day and I was a little off. That;s how it goes.
Sorry so long and boring, just pretty excited to get out and shoot!!!!!
Congrats !

Any day out is a good day. Its how one learns from mistakes that makes us better. The fact you are assessing your inaccuracy will make you all the better next time We are not all top shots day in day out .

Not to start anything, obsvr, but do you wear glasses or contacts ?
My eyes changed all of a sudden about 8 yrs ago...wasn’t a whole lot, but noticeable.

Also looking at the manual for that sight, the first crosshair below the dot is 300 yards not 100. And the second is 400 not 200. Which makes sense on where you were hitting. If you are zero’ed at 50 yards, your dot will be on or close at 200 as well. Using the dot at 100 yards you will be a little high. Like an inch or so. So it’s designed to use the dot out to 200 yards and the first crosshair at 300, the second crosshair at 400 and so on. 50 yard zero is typically called 50/200 zero. You’ll hit 50 on the way up and 200 on the way down. Bullet trajectory is an arc, line of sight is a straight line.

Sounds like you had fun at the range , I haven't been out for a year now . Sure do miss it . I remember before this whole world crap the wife And I packed up the gun collection and ammo headed for a range day . We spent 6 hours that day just shooting every gun we had , went through 500 rounds of ammo that day . Thats when you could buy ammo , lol . So any day at the range with the wife shooting is a good day ....

Also looking at the manual for that sight, the first crosshair below the dot is 300 yards not 100. And the second is 400 not 200. Which makes sense on where you were hitting. If you are zero’ed at 50 yards, your dot will be on or close at 200 as well. Using the dot at 100 yards you will be a little high. Like an inch or so. So it’s designed to use the dot out to 200 yards and the first crosshair at 300, the second crosshair at 400 and so on. 50 yard zero is typically called 50/200 zero. You’ll hit 50 on the way up and 200 on the way down. Bullet trajectory is an arc, line of sight is a straight line.
Well that makes 100% sense. That is exactly what I found. Almost exactly an inch high at 100 yards. I was shooting at half clay pigeons and had to put the dot at almost exactly 1 inch below them to hit them.
I chalk some of the bad shooting with the saint as a learning curve due to brand new rifle, brand new un zeroed scope, I was definitly getting closer the last 20 rounds after I figured somethings out.
I read the instructions and watched some dude on youtube awhile back, but did nor bring them.

Not to start anything, obsvr, but do you wear glasses or contacts ?
My eyes changed all of a sudden about 8 yrs ago...wasn’t a whole lot, but noticeable.
No. I have pretty good eyesight. It was a little playing with new equipment, a little playing with equipment that has been upgraded since I last shot it. I did pretty ok with the better quality stuff we have, that I have not modded over the winter. Plus I am rusty and I just had an off day. My wife thought I shot well and that I am to hard on myself, but I know what I am capable of and I would rank my shooting at about 45% of what it should have been. Like I said, a lot of ammo went down range and I counted as a miss, while sighting in and getting the feel for new optics.

You should zero your optics from a bench rest.

What is your POS side arm ?

Range days are fun even when you shoot bad. Glad you got out and gave it a go.

What 12 gauge and what is the problem ?

I think I have about the first 9mm hi point side arm made. LOL I bought it shortly after they went into business I think.
I finally got it so it goes boom with few problems, (years ago I used to shoot it a lot) but it has never been accurate. I used to shoot it a little better, but after shooting better quality fire arms, you can really tell the difference. I played with the sights quite a bit yesterday and it got better. I spent half the time yesterday fiddling with and adjusting firearms yesterday. But without a doubt, I can say that hi point gets a 0 score in grouping. Coffee can sized target, it might be ok, but any smaller and you need a better fire arm.
We were shooting at a can a little smaller then a pop can @ 30Ft and I finally got it sighted in to where I could hit it 2-3 times out of 7 shots. But it took some effort. I took the wife;s shield and blew the crap out of it (couldn't even count the holes) in half the time (did not time it) with little effort. The shield is a smaller frame even and does not fit my hand as well.
The 12 gauge is a cheap tristar made in Turkey. (It is my wife's and she wanted it and bought it). It does not want to chamber a round when you rack it (it is a semi auto). I fiddled around with it and got it to chamber one, then it shot fine. put one round in and had to fiddle with it again to get it to chamber that round.

After a good cleaning and oiling (she was bone dry) plus messing with it the 12 gauge seems to want to kick a round up when you rack it now. I wondered what the deal at the range was, because it was inconsistent. It is hers and the first time we had it out, so again who knows. Bought it, and it has sat in the closet ever since.

I have a Tristar 20 gauge semi-auto. It did the same thing. Called customer service. They had me try a couple of things. When that didn't solve the problem they had me send it in so they could look at it. Sent me a brand new one back. Seems they had some problems with their early ones.

I have a Tristar 20 gauge semi-auto. It did the same thing. Called customer service. They had me try a couple of things. When that didn't solve the problem they had me send it in so they could look at it. Sent me a brand new one back. Seems they had some problems with their early ones.
She bought it used, so it is probably going to be a I have to fix it type thing. It shot great, but getting the first one to chamber sucked. I will play with it some more in the coming days with ammo and see if it works, but cleaning and lubing makes it seem like it might work. Fingers crossed.

Not boring at all. It’s a perishable skill. Keep plugging away and you’ll find your mojo again.
my wife is a pretty good shot too. She can put entire 15 round magazine from Glock 20 in coffee can at 15-20 yards. She is still scared of the rifles but can hold her own.

She bought it used, so it is probably going to be a I have to fix it type thing. It shot great, but getting the first one to chamber sucked. I will play with it some more in the coming days with ammo and see if it works, but cleaning and lubing makes it seem like it might work. Fingers crossed.

One thing about semi-autos, especially "Budget" semi-autos, they need high velocity ammo. You should at a minimum be 1200 FPS or more.

Also, after lubing it, you might want to use some grease on the parts that seem like they could use grease.

Well that makes 100% sense. That is exactly what I found. Almost exactly an inch high at 100 yards. I was shooting at half clay pigeons and had to put the dot at almost exactly 1 inch below them to hit them.
I chalk some of the bad shooting with the saint as a learning curve due to brand new rifle, brand new un zeroed scope, I was definitly getting closer the last 20 rounds after I figured somethings out.
I read the instructions and watched some dude on youtube awhile back, but did nor bring them.
Next time you take it out, make sure it's zero'd at 50 yards ( from a bench rest). Then just remember that the first crosshair is 300 yards and each consecutive crosshair is 100 yards further. Use the dot for 0-200 yards. Shoot it at 25 yards, 100 yards and 150 yards ( with the dot) so you can familiarize yourself with the hold over/under.

Back