testtest

What a load of šŸ’©

Talk about plumbing issues! I live above a lake....well above a cesspool. So far we've excavated 4' down where the septic line could be and about 50 linier feet. Still haven't found the line. Gray water line we found at the top of the foundation. Time to move out and set the :poop: house on fire! After 2 months of no ac from June and July to this :poop: now!

Attachments

• 20231207_123223.jpg
    20231207_123223.jpg
    939.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 20231207_123220.jpg
    20231207_123220.jpg
    972.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 20231207_123213.jpg
    20231207_123213.jpg
    791.5 KB · Views: 67
Man that sucks. I replaced my lateral a few years back. Took about 4 hours. I rented a hoe at 7 AM and had it cleaned and back to the equipment rental by noon. You wouldnā€™t believe what I found when I dug it up. Itā€™s all new 4ā€ schedule 40 now and I donā€™t anticipate any problems, at least not until Iā€™m too old to give AF about it.

Hope you get yours figured out brother.

Oh the things i could tell about sewer systems, we have a septic tank and lots of big oaks. The things i've had to do to unclog or get tree roots out of the tank and pipes is gross, i'd tell a couple but ya'll would thing i'm kinda weird.
Oh, maybe not...struggled with that :poop: for years. The only thing good about living by town limits is being tapped into the sewer system.

Talk about plumbing issues! I live above a lake....well above a cesspool. So far we've excavated 4' down where the septic line could be and about 50 linier feet. Still haven't found the line. Gray water line we found at the top of the foundation. Time to move out and set the :poop: house on fire! After 2 months of no ac from June and July to this :poop: now!
Hey Tex, Sorry for your troubles, but this is sorta my line of work. Are you looking for the septic lateral from the house to your septic tank? You mentioned a "gray" water pipe....I assume that's your fresh water supply (either from a well or municipal supply)?

Oh, maybe not...struggled with that :poop: for years. The only thing good about living by town limits is being tapped into the sewer system.
I would much rather be on a septic than tapped into municipal sewers. Itā€™s way, WAY cheaper. Money spent on occasional repairs ainā€™t nothing compared to what it would cost if you had to replace your lateral thatā€™s hooked to a public sewer. Plus the monthly bill.

I would much rather be on a septic than tapped into municipal sewers. Itā€™s way, WAY cheaper. Money spent on occasional repairs ainā€™t nothing compared to what it would cost if you had to replace your lateral thatā€™s hooked to a public sewer. Plus the monthly bill.
You are correct...IF the installer did a proper perc-test before installing the drain field. I know lots of guys that put in trenches where they probably shouldn't have. The cost of a new mound system can be jaw-dropping (I've heard of some exceeding $30k).

Hey Tex, Sorry for your troubles, but this is sorta my line of work. Are you looking for the septic lateral from the house to your septic tank? You mentioned a "gray" water pipe....I assume that's your fresh water supply (either from a well or municipal supply)?
Gray as in sinks, showers and washing machine waste water. Septic tank and cleanouts are withing 5' of each other, so that was the easy find (already knew where both were). Septic tank is about 90' from the house and 10' deep at least. Now account for the slope and there's no way for it to be 4' deep at the house's foundation. My yard is starting to look like this
1701992032182.png

Gray as in sinks, showers and washing machine waste water. Septic tank and cleanouts are withing 5' of each other, so that was the easy find (already knew where both were). Septic tank is about 90' from the house and 10' deep at least. Now account for the slope and there's no way for it to be 4' deep at the house's foundation. My yard is starting to look like this
View attachment 48257
Fair enuf...didn't know you knew the terminology (gray water, black water, etc)...90' run to tank is pretty far...A local pro should have a rod he can run through one of the clean-outs to trace the lateral, if that's your goal.

I do agree with you. We are looking to get a little further north and off the grid. This town is pissing us off with all of the regulations required to build a garage. They're like a freaking HOA. Not what we signed up for.

Wow, sorry for the headache. When I was looking 30 years ago I told realtor better have ALL utilities connected to include sewer or don't show it to me. I have seen horror stories with wells and septic systems. Hope you get it all straightened out soon.

I do agree with you. We are looking to get a little further north and off the grid. This town is pissing us off with all of the regulations required to build a garage. They're like a freaking HOA. Not what we signed up for.
I like my HOA. Every time they give mešŸ’©šŸ’© i send them a letter from the attorney that we will sue the HOA for the ā€œreservesā€ in their coffers if they keep up about petty crap nagging me that is not in the bylaws.
Our HOA is 2000 houses. About $750k in the coffers.

They leave me alone till a new board gets elected. Then they nit pick. Been here 17 years they get letters about every 5 yrs. Think they would learn their own by laws.

New septics in my area run $25-$40k. Almost all homes for sale around here are having them done. The homes are typically 40 years old.
Pretty steep market. Anything costing $25k is either a mound or a massive drain field in WI. Replacing a septic after 40 years means it was not built very well (at least locally to me), or it was abused over its life....

And I just realized you (Tex, not Mike) have a gray water septic line in addition to black water line in your house? That is unheard of in my market in residential septics....only see gray lines in commercial stuff here. Otherwise they all drain to the same place.

Don't light a match next time you're down there.:oops:

You are correct...IF the installer did a proper perc-test before installing the drain field. I know lots of guys that put in trenches where they probably shouldn't have. The cost of a new mound system can be jaw-dropping (I've heard of some exceeding $30k).

I've installed/replaced and serviced many septic systems. Including the ones on 2 of the 3 houses I have lived in. The house I bought with my first wife was extensive and a complete replacement. Demolish and drain old tank, install new tank 1000' closer to the house, laterals, drainfield manifold heading four 125' perforated schedule 40 drain runs. Used the neighbor's perc test. That was the first time I ever operated a backhoe. Took a week. The wife and I had to use a chemical toilet for a week and it was horrible.

Perc test is over rated. There was no such animal when 90% of septic systems were installed. As with anything, overbuild it and you'll be fine. 500' of drainfield for 2 people was definitely overkill. The drain field in the house I live in right now was installed in the early 60s and the performance and water lines in the tank assure me the drain field is just fine. Even after having been submerged by the river several times for days at a time. Most likely, like every other drain field in this neighborhood, it is a coil of perforated corrugated plastic. Other than replacing the lateral when I rebuilt the house it has been fine for over 60 years now. I live in a special flood way and technically cannot replace a septic if it fails. I also have a 6' privacy fence and could replace the entire system in about 8 hours easily.
The rules for septic systems in the county I live in were oppressive. They have recently relaxed them quite a bit after the realization that the rules were pointless and did nothing other than cost people a lot of money. My sister in law had to pay 30k for a system with a couple grinders and pumps and all that. It had to be engineered and installed by a county licensed company. In the 10 years she has lived there that system has failed twice.

I have installed systems that consisted of schedule 40 and 55 gallon drums in hunting cabins. I have repaired or replaced more laterals than I can remember. Septic systems are very simple and effective. And by the time the water from the drainfield hits ground water it's 90% drinkable.

Back