testtest

What Do You Value In Your Handloads?

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Here are some general themes which may be helpful to shooters in attaining their shooting goals, even as their goals evolve.

What Do You Value In Your Handloads?

1608605714352.png

Above photo: 0.67", 10-shot, 300-yard test group of the AMU's standard 75 gr., 600-yard ammo from a test fixture.

Depends on what caliber, and purpose.

In my .308 match and hunting loads, precision rules the day...but my 5.56 range loads need to be reliable in several different rifles, so accuracy takes the back seat (not that they are inaccurate, but they aren't as accurate as they could be if tuned to one rifle).

Same with my 9mm & .45 blaster loads; accuracy isn't as important as function in several platforms.

To simplify the question as much as possible:................. If loading hunting ammo for either of my rifles or handguns, accuracy will be the most important factor. Why? Because that game animal I'm about to take doesn't give a rat's azz if the bullet is traveling 3,000fps+- or 1,000fps+- when it hits as long as it hits the desired POA/POI.

And the fact is that seldom have I ever found a target load to be the very most accurate at the maximum velocity listed using reasonable and available components. So, I guess in reality the accuracy part rules even in target loads for me.

Back