testtest

What do you want from your local training facility?

What do you want from your local training facility/shooting range/gun and gear shop? Aside from cleaning gear, ammo, gun bags, ear and eye pro, and snap caps. Just looking for ideas on what serious shooters would like to see. I wish companies were more willing to have ambassadors these days. I think the gun community needs them to let people know what is out there on the market.

I have a semi-local indoor shooting range that allows classes beyond the stalls, rapid fire, drawing from a holster as long as they know you and go over some extra rules. Their RSO’s are presented as safety AND training advisors and people are encouraged to seek them out to ask questions and do minor fixes of shooting mechanics. They’re by far my favorite place to shoot out of three different states I’ve lived in. Only wish they had user controlled targets. Right now they’re controlled from the booth and only used for classes and competitions.
Indoor is important to me because of medical issues.

I have a semi-local indoor shooting range that allows classes beyond the stalls, rapid fire, drawing from a holster as long as they know you and go over some extra rules. Their RSO’s are presented as safety AND training advisors and people are encouraged to seek them out to ask questions and do minor fixes of shooting mechanics. They’re by far my favorite place to shoot out of three different states I’ve lived in. Only wish they had user controlled targets. Right now they’re controlled from the booth and only used for classes and competitions.
Indoor is important to me because of medical issues.
We have all of that covered.

A full service range, set up for intensive training not just target shooting. A very wide selection of firearms. Most LGS for example aren't going to have a Q5, a P30L, KelTec KSG, Sig P226 Legion, Tavor TS12 etc. in stock. A wide selection of accessories. Most gun stores leave me less than thrilled with their selection of holsters, magazines, optics etc.. An extensive selection of ammo. Again most gun stores don't carry a wide enough selection of ammo. Almost always only one or two kinds of SD ammo.

Most things these days, firearms included, I buy online. I would be more than happy to pay a little bit more for this stuff if I could walk into a shop and walk out with what I want. In fact I would very much prefer it. Most places can order what you want, but then you are paying store mark up and still waiting the same amount of time as if you had ordered it yourself and just had it sent to your FFL.

I guess it's unrealistic to expect a shop to stock stuff that doesn't necessarily sell in the kind of numbers other stuff sells in. I understand that from a financial POV it may not make sense to have SRM 1216s in all three available colors hanging on the wall, but you asked so........

A full service range, set up for intensive training not just target shooting. A very wide selection of firearms. Most LGS for example aren't going to have a Q5, a P30L, KelTec KSG, Sig P226 Legion, Tavor TS12 etc. in stock. A wide selection of accessories. Most gun stores leave me less than thrilled with their selection of holsters, magazines, optics etc.. An extensive selection of ammo. Again most gun stores don't carry a wide enough selection of ammo. Almost always only one or two kinds of SD ammo.

Most things these days, firearms included, I buy online. I would be more than happy to pay a little bit more for this stuff if I could walk into a shop and walk out with what I want. In fact I would very much prefer it. Most places can order what you want, but then you are paying store mark up and still waiting the same amount of time as if you had ordered it yourself and just had it sent to your FFL.

I guess it's unrealistic to expect a shop to stock stuff that doesn't necessarily sell in the kind of numbers other stuff sells in. I understand that from a financial POV it may not make sense to have SRM 1216s in all three available colors hanging on the wall, but you asked so........
So anything to do with selection you are really SOL. Primarily that is based off of what customers request the most and what will move. And I agree with this because most google wizards won't be satisfied regardless of what is hanging on the wall. And with the current market firearms are difficult to have in good stock.

Specifically where I am it is an FFL that sells firearms and is also a training facility and range. So mark ups on firearms would be pointless since a customer could just have it shipped in cheaper and do the transfer. Firearms are not what I am asking about in this post however I didn't really specify because I am looking for opinions.

Wide selection of ammunition is covered. Honestly most ammunition should be purchased off the internet. It doesn't make sense not to get it that way. As I mentioned above I am not concerned with ammo.

Training is covered. Rentals are very well done as well IMO. I would venture a guess that we are at around 200 for rentals. Anything from a Q5, Shadow 2, STI Staccato P/C, anything Glock, anything Sig, VP9, IWI Masada, Tavor X95, M1216, M1A, SCAR17, Vector, MPX.... The list goes on and the idea being if you are in the market you have somewhere to try it out first.

I am more looking for fresh ideas to make an already great place better. Maybe on the merchandise side as well.

So anything to do with selection you are really SOL. Primarily that is based off of what customers request the most and what will move. And I agree with this because most google wizards won't be satisfied regardless of what is hanging on the wall. And with the current market firearms are difficult to have in good stock.

Specifically where I am it is an FFL that sells firearms and is also a training facility and range. So mark ups on firearms would be pointless since a customer could just have it shipped in cheaper and do the transfer. Firearms are not what I am asking about in this post however I didn't really specify because I am looking for opinions.

Wide selection of ammunition is covered. Honestly most ammunition should be purchased off the internet. It doesn't make sense not to get it that way. As I mentioned above I am not concerned with ammo.

Training is covered. Rentals are very well done as well IMO. I would venture a guess that we are at around 200 for rentals. Anything from a Q5, Shadow 2, STI Staccato P/C, anything Glock, anything Sig, VP9, IWI Masada, Tavor X95, M1216, M1A, SCAR17, Vector, MPX.... The list goes on and the idea being if you are in the market you have somewhere to try it out first.

I am more looking for fresh ideas to make an already great place better. Maybe on the merchandise side as well.
Heck, sounds like y'all are living high off the hog at your specific ranges. I guess all that's left would be valet parking, and maybe heated hand towels in the restroom. 🤔 😊

To open up the indoor range its been closed due to COVID they can use every other shooting lanes its never packed full anyways.

To open up the indoor range its been closed due to COVID they can use every other shooting lanes its never packed full anyways.
We have opened to members only by appointment. Also private instruction and classes are still ongoing. Allows us to control population and flow. We also have a ton of procedures for cleaning and maintaining a safe environment. We are currently on phase one of being allowed to be open. So far everything has been going well. I understand most everyone has had to remain closed.

I received most of my training when I worked at my Sheriff Dept, I wasn’t a deputy, I was in charge of maintenance, but they knew I was a gun person so I got to go with them when they trained and qualified. It was a good experience.

We have opened to members only by appointment. Also private instruction and classes are still ongoing. Allows us to control population and flow. We also have a ton of procedures for cleaning and maintaining a safe environment. We are currently on phase one of being allowed to be open. So far everything has been going well. I understand most everyone has had to remain closed.
I can shoot the outdoor's range but I like the indoor range for pistol shooting . I like to shoot at 25' at a 2" target center and keep my group inside the 2" center it's hard to do but it sure builds proficiency for sure.

I can shoot the outdoor's range but I like the indoor range for pistol shooting . I like to shoot at 25' at a 2" target center and keep my group inside the 2" center it's hard to do but it sure builds proficiency for sure.
I will generally use flash cards at 10 yards and try to cut them in half. You could also try doing courses of fire to add stress. Or add holster work. Start slow, speed comes with time. Whatever makes it interesting.

Cut them cards sideways wow 😲🔫 I can hit a thumbtack at 25' with my 9mm XDM OSP never thought about flash cards. I am going to try that drill . I do the bowling pins at 25' and have won several tournaments with my minor caliber 9mm if you focus on the front sight and not the pin you can knock it off the table with one shot with the 119 - 147-grain ball ammo. Some think the hollow point gives them an edge but I have seen people win with lead reloads.

Back