testtest

What is your experience with TrueVelocity Ammo

BobT

Master Class
Just curious what your experience might be with True Velocity (TV) ammo in .308.

I got some for my Desert Tech MDRX hoping that it would provide accurate performance for hogs and self defense with a lighter carry weight. The light weight is noticeable as the magazines are 1/3 lighter than brass. However, the plastic cases fail to eject about 25% of the time. One case got so jammed that I had to disassemble the rifle and and pry it out of the ejector port with pliers.

Based on my experience, I can see why they may have lost the NGSW military contract. I am curious as to your experience in a standard AR10 type weapon.

Never heard of it.
i just looked it up, it sounded familiar..

if i recall, the military? was doing some testing on this sort of "plastic casing" ammo......

i'd rather have brass, i'd have no confidence in bits of "plastic" melting into the barrel rifling over time.

i just looked it up, it sounded familiar..

if i recall, the military? was doing some testing on this sort of "plastic casing" ammo......

i'd rather have brass, i'd have no confidence in bits of "plastic" melting into the barrel rifling over time.
In my test firing, I never had a problem with melting or case deformation. I think the issue might be that the case flexing on ejection was causing the jam.

In my test firing, I never had a problem with melting or case deformation. I think the issue might be that the case flexing on ejection was causing the jam.
which "might cause" an issue with a semi-automatic handgun as well???

well, the price for 1 box is like $70 (i did not see what caliber it was)

you cannot reload it, so over brass, it's a one and done

it is "new" to me, right now, and i really just have no confidence in it's manufacturing process.

how many times, have i read maybe here on this site, or another gun site, that a new brass casing came from the factory defective, as in a split in that casing?

a time or two.

so can anyone be certain that a defect will be caught, before it is even loaded into the "plastic" casing?

don't see it, shoot it, and now you have melted plastic in the barrel?

i say that for the time being, brass is the way to stay.

luckily, this velocity ammo, is in rifle ammo only for now.

just no confidence from me right now in the "plastic" material mucking up the rifling, should there be any defects in those casings, and melted pieces adhering to that rifling.

gonna have to be proven (to my satisfaction) come time to try it out in handgun calibers, and pricing as well.

i been known to change my mind.

just not right now

I remember it from a decade or so ago. It was of a weight saving (?), but marginal savings on the case. I would've scraped it from the start! Steel case head with brass body doesn't save any real weight, just handles higher pressure. I seems if they redesigned the case head for better extraction (better grip) then other changes would be required. Tomorrow is another day, so that might have the answer? Time marches on.

My intent in this post was to get feedback from others who had experience with TV ammo. I agree with all of your comments and as you can tell from my posts my experience was something less than stellar. It was worth the price of a few boxes of TV to see if the hype was real. I am now also looking for brass self defense/hog ammo that will do the job for me using the same protocol - Test 2-3 boxes, see how it works and get the feedback from the people on this site.

Just as a note, TV sells the ammo for $70 a box but I used Ammo Seeker to get it for $43 a box. Most of us don't buy defense or hunting ammo by the case due to the cost.

I am still interested in comments from anyone who has TV Ammo experience.

I've no experience with True Velocity, some years back I bought 200 rounds of plastic cartridge 5.56 ammo at our local gun show. It shot fine, no failures of any kind.

1660240576139.png

Back