testtest

What would the US Founding Fathers think about 18-year-olds being able to purchase military weapons?

shanneba

Custom
Three years after the ratification of the Constitution and Bill of rights- Congress REQUIRED every able-bodied male between 18 and 45 to within 6 months to provide himself with a military weapon, bayonet, and ammunition or a rifle, gun powder, 20 rifle balls, shooting pouch and knapsack.

First Militia Act of 1792

Passed May 2, 1792, provided for the authority of the president to call out the militias of the several states, "whenever the United States shall be invaded, or be in imminent danger of invasion from any foreign nation or Indian tribe". The law also authorized the President to call the militias into Federal service "whenever the laws of the United States shall be opposed or the execution thereof obstructed, in any state, by combinations too powerful to be suppressed by the ordinary course of judicial proceedings, or by the powers vested in the marshals by this act"

Second Militia Act of 1792

Passed May 8, 1792, provided for the organization of the state militias. It conscripted every "free able-bodied white male citizen" between the ages of 18 and 45 into a local militia company. (This was later expanded to all males, regardless of race, between the ages of 18 and 54 in 1862.) Militia members, referred to as "every citizen, so enrolled and notified", "...shall within six months thereafter, provide himself..." with a musket, bayonet and belt, two spare flints, a cartridge box with 24 bullets, and a knapsack. Men owning rifles were required to provide a powder horn, ¼ pound of gunpowder, 20 rifle balls, a shooting pouch, and a knapsack.

We come a long way unfortunately with this modern millie administration we are heading back to the olde days and spiting the colonial way altogether, they’re insisting these rightful arms be given back one way or another.

First Militia Act didn’t mention spy balloons. Explains why one was allowed to float across the country unabated and engage in espionage.

I believe SleepyJoe referred to a copy of his 1792 field manual and fired the $400,000 musket ball heard ‘round the world when it came to a hobby balloon.

lTyWkB.jpg

Three years after the ratification of the Constitution and Bill of rights- Congress REQUIRED every able-bodied male between 18 and 45 to within 6 months to provide himself with a military weapon, bayonet, and ammunition or a rifle, gun powder, 20 rifle balls, shooting pouch and knapsack.

First Militia Act of 1792

Passed May 2, 1792, provided for the authority of the president to call out the militias of the several states, "whenever the United States shall be invaded, or be in imminent danger of invasion from any foreign nation or Indian tribe". The law also authorized the President to call the militias into Federal service "whenever the laws of the United States shall be opposed or the execution thereof obstructed, in any state, by combinations too powerful to be suppressed by the ordinary course of judicial proceedings, or by the powers vested in the marshals by this act"

Second Militia Act of 1792

Passed May 8, 1792, provided for the organization of the state militias. It conscripted every "free able-bodied white male citizen" between the ages of 18 and 45 into a local militia company. (This was later expanded to all males, regardless of race, between the ages of 18 and 54 in 1862.) Militia members, referred to as "every citizen, so enrolled and notified", "...shall within six months thereafter, provide himself..." with a musket, bayonet and belt, two spare flints, a cartridge box with 24 bullets, and a knapsack. Men owning rifles were required to provide a powder horn, ¼ pound of gunpowder, 20 rifle balls, a shooting pouch, and a knapsack.
The title to your post is fraught with confusion since in today’s day and age military weapons are for the most part automatic weapons not legally allowed to be purchased by civilians, if you mean the AR platform rifles they are modern sport rifles not military rifles.
My opinion.

Well I do think the founding father would have no issue up front, but frankly 18 year olds back then were much different then today. I believe life expectancy on average was what maybe 40 back then if I recall, so an 18 year old would practically have lived half their life by that point. If let’s say you gave them time to truly familiarize themselves with our current way of life, who knows.

Jefferson lived to be 83 years old.
He started school at age 5.
He studied Latin, Greek and French starting at age 9.
He started college at 16, graduated in 2 years.
Studied law on his own while clerking for a lawyer and became a lawyer at age ~24.

If they saw the 18 year olds now i do not believe that they would want them armed.
Yeah plenty of adults might fall into this category to though lol. I mean it honestly comes down to the person rather then the age. My cousins kids are 13 and 11 both have been around firearms their whole lives and are safe and capable shooters.

My thing on age restrictions is, if 18 is old enough to join the military and vote, and as country we have decided thats the age of adulthood. Then they should be responsible enough to take on all aspects of adulthood.

It’s not really the 18 years old fault if they were not taught responsibility and accountable up to that point. That sorts of lands on who raised them and failures of the society raising them.

That's way more a reflection on the adults that raised them than it is them or their age.
My Dad used to refer to that type upbringing as “Yanked up by the hair if their head.”

Even back when I was a teenager in the dinosaur age, there were other teenagers around who were not responsible and mostly grew up into irresponsible adults. This isn’t a new thing, there is just more of it. :(

My Dad used to refer to that type upbringing as “Yanked up by the hair if their head.”

Even back when I was a teenager in the dinosaur age, there were other teenagers around who were not responsible and mostly grew up into irresponsible adults. This isn’t a new thing, there is just more of it. :(

I'm sure I am not alone, but as early as I can remember there were loaded guns in most of the rooms in my parent's house. I knew exactly where they were because my old man showed me where they were. Not once did the thought of taking one of those guns and doing anything with it ever cross my mind. And frankly I was a somewhat troubled youth. I spent a year in the custody of the Division of Youth Services from 15 1/2 to 16 1/2 years old. I had long hair, smoked weed, fought constantly, drank, played in bar bands, dropped out of school, etc...

My parents were christians and pretty strict, but loving and provided me with a good home ( which I left at 15 years old). I wasn't a criminal understand. I didn't steal or rob or assault innocent people or any crap like that. And I never entertained the idea that I could solve any problem by taking one of my old man's guns and doing something stupid with it.

Back