testtest

White Dust Bunnies Growing Unchecked!

iklwa

Master Class
I was thumbing through a stack of old gun rags (printed) and saw an article regarding the question of magazine spring tension weakening over time while being stored loaded. As an aside, the article suggested cleaning the handgun’s magazine each time the handgun itself is cleaned.

I freely admit that I am addicted to baby powder and regularly dust myself like a rolling rhino in Africa. No, I don’t have any fleas or ticks that I am aware of but who knows if I stopped with the powder? This regular dusting does present an issue the manufacturers of the baby powder never conceived.

I began my semi-monthly inspection and cleaning of my carry XD-S and noticed an undue level of white powder had accumulated inside the trigger guard. As the summer approaches, the use of the powder becomes more frequent. I proceeded to disassemble the gun, wipe the parts down with a cloth, ran a few patches through the bore, unloaded the magazine and proceeded to blow (with compressed air) a surprising quantity of baby powder from the magazine’s mechanism. Prior to cleaning with compressed air, I had tested the follower with my thumb, and it operated smoothly and freely so I was quite surprised by the dust I blew out!

I’m betting there are quite a few magazines out there that have been carried daily within inside the waistband holsters and in other manners with dust bunnies and who knows what else making warm and cozy homes for themselves that could potentially pose issues for their owners.

Just thought I would pass on what I discovered in the hopes of possibly preventing a problem for someone else.

I was thumbing through a stack of old gun rags (printed) and saw an article regarding the question of magazine spring tension weakening over time while being stored loaded. As an aside, the article suggested cleaning the handgun’s magazine each time the handgun itself is cleaned.

I freely admit that I am addicted to baby powder and regularly dust myself like a rolling rhino in Africa. No, I don’t have any fleas or ticks that I am aware of but who knows if I stopped with the powder? This regular dusting does present an issue the manufacturers of the baby powder never conceived.

I began my semi-monthly inspection and cleaning of my carry XD-S and noticed an undue level of white powder had accumulated inside the trigger guard. As the summer approaches, the use of the powder becomes more frequent. I proceeded to disassemble the gun, wipe the parts down with a cloth, ran a few patches through the bore, unloaded the magazine and proceeded to blow (with compressed air) a surprising quantity of baby powder from the magazine’s mechanism. Prior to cleaning with compressed air, I had tested the follower with my thumb, and it operated smoothly and freely so I was quite surprised by the dust I blew out!

I’m betting there are quite a few magazines out there that have been carried daily within inside the waistband holsters and in other manners with dust bunnies and who knows what else making warm and cozy homes for themselves that could potentially pose issues for their owners.

Just thought I would pass on what I discovered in the hopes of possibly preventing a problem for someone else.

I don't clean them every time I clean my handguns ( and I don't dust myself regularly), but I definitely take the ones I use or carry apart and clean them regularly.

1621906764636.jpeg

Back