testtest

Why You Should Add Medical Supplies to Your EDC

There is a lot of interesting info here, personally, as an old combat medic, Today in my EDC pack I keep a roll of fabric tape, a tourniquet, a large gauze pad and a few other things. The goal, for me, would just be to keep someone alive until medical care arrived. I dont have room to carry all the things necessary for total field triage, and I cant save everyone, thus I have to pick a level of care and go with that... You can do a hella lot of care with tape, I recommend everyone carry tape of some sort. For me it is fiber cloth 1" medical tape, with that I can do a lot of things...

I only carry a "boo boo" bag when I go to the range. It's loaded with almost everything from gloves to chest seals, tourniquets and tons of bandages and tons of quik clot. I also have 2 identical bags loaded up in my home as well in case of emergency. Now on "duty" that's a different story. I have a large bag loaded with all the medical essentials for any gunfight related injuries. And I also HIGHLY recommend everyone take a stop the bleed class. Well worth it. Just my two cents...

I only carry a "boo boo" bag when I go to the range. It's loaded with almost everything from gloves to chest seals, tourniquets and tons of bandages and tons of quik clot. I also have 2 identical bags loaded up in my home as well in case of emergency. Now on "duty" that's a different story. I have a large bag loaded with all the medical essentials for any gunfight related injuries. And I also HIGHLY recommend everyone take a stop the bleed class. Well worth it. Just my two cents...
That's not a boo boo kit.

If I dont know how to stop the bleed, Im not in a legal responsibility to try to aid the perp who tried to kill my family …

If I dont know how to stop the bleed, Im not in a legal responsibility to try to aid the perp who tried to kill my family …
When I was working at my sheriffs dept, the jail nurse wanted all the maintenance guys to take a CPR class. I asked why should we, answer was in case she can’t get to an inmate and we are around, we could administer it, we all passed on that class……

The place you are most likely to see a gunshot wound is at the range, but it can be anywhere in the wild. I have been on the premises a couple times over the years where unintentional GSW's occurred. One severe one was a shotgun that blew apart on a skeet range and cut an artery, but to good fortune the chief trauma surgeon of the local trauma center was on his squad and started treatment right away.

My youngest daughter is a military trauma doc. A few years ago I asked her to do a 10 minute medicine gunshot response class for the RSO's at a local range. The concept is that first responders will be within 10 minutes. In remote areas you need to buy more time. She gave a list of what you need in your kit. Bloodstopper, Israeli bandage, gauze pads, tourniquet, wound packing, chest seal, tape, and shears were at the top of the list. Keeping the blood in is paramount. There is a long list of other stuff as well. In my firearms courses I have always had a trauma bag handy. I have found that having your trauma kit organized and properly labeled is important to a competent response. In classes having individuals pre-assigned to call 911, one as a medical officer(this was usually not a problem in my armed guard classes as many had military combat lifesaver in the past), and being sure everybody knows where you are for informing first responders. Fortunately the only need I ever had from that bag in my classes was a bandaid for a blister.

One other thing to consider is heat injury. Having a cooler with ice and drinks can prevent uncomfortable heat becoming a major health crisis.

A carry two bands-aids in my wallet. If I require anything more, I will dial 911. If I felt the threat level where I live was bad enough to carry medical supplies, I would move.
I think that the premise for most folks carrying medical supplies has nothing to do with threat levels but is instead focusing on being able to render medical lifesaving aid while awaiting on Emergency Medical folks to arrive. Of course doing triage on a scene is not for everyone, but for those of us who would render aid to the best of our individual abilities I think having a few things in the car is important. I have tweaked my kit over the years, I no longer carry sutures and much of the more serious stuff unless I am out rucking, now its usually some clotting agents, various tapes and pads, a CPR mask and tourniquet. If folks could only carry two things in their car I would recommend a tourniquet and CPR barrier / mask. Some folks are using Choking tools now, there are various suction devices out, be careful cause they do not always work and have been known to sometimes make things worse.

Back