testtest

Why You Should Train With the a Handgun you Carry

Yeah, I don't think I can understand anyone thinking that the skills learned on a full sized pistol would just translate to a pocket pistol or compact EDC without training with the EDC itself.

I did choose a XDM Compact 9mm (3.8") as my preferred EDC, as it shoots pretty much just like the XDM 5.25 9mm that I bought a year earlier. The fit the same holsters - the Compact is just much more concealable and comfortable. While I've put a LOT more rounds down range with the 5.25 than with the 3.8, being that the grip frame and trigger are pretty much the same, I think this is a little different scenario than what the article talks about.

I would never think the range time with the XDM's would translate directly to my LCP or another pistol though. They are completely different guns. I'm not sending my 9mm down range right now, so am practicing "trigger discipline" and marksmanship with 22LR, and then sending a mag or two at the most down range of 9mm, if and when I go.

The majority of my training was conducted as a LEO with full-sized duty pistols, but I have completed one or two training courses with my EDC/backup guns. I do a decent amount of practice with my two primary carry pieces, and usually shoot a few mags through them every range trip.

The reason that I separate training from practice is that the ranges in my area have many rules in place that severely limit anything that I would consider to be training. I constantly see articles listing great drills, but almost none of the drills would be permitted at my range. My primary range forbids drawing from the holster, does not permit firing more than one shot every two seconds (they offer a little slack for experienced shooters), and is not set up to allow for any move-and-shoot drills. I don't hold this against my range because I know that they have a business to run and have to be concerned about liability. Still, due to the rules and I restrictions, I consider my time there to be recreational marksmanship practice rather than training.

I will probably attend some focused training courses in the future, but I'm gonna have to wait for ammo prices to drop and availability to improve. Looks like it may be awhile.

I practice nearly exclusively with my EDC's - an XD-s 9mm, and a Hellcat. They shoot nearly identically with the only difference being capacity, and I have to watch out for the mag release on the Hellcat since it'll drop the mag with just a tickle from my support thumb where the XD-s I have to make a conscious effort to hit the release hard enough to drop it.

The "why" was driven home to me about 2 years ago, when I was at the range with a buddy. He has a full-size Kimber 1911 (he doesn't carry, it's strictly for home and range use), and wanted to try my XD-s. We all know the compacts are snappy compared to a full-size, but he was watching me put everything inside the 9 at 10 yards, firing once every half second or so. He wanted to try. So...we switched.

He...was all over the target with my XD-s, not prepared for the muzzle rise, not sure about the "rhythm" of when it would be back on target, and not really familiar with the bladed trigger. He was shooting relatively conservatively, probably a round every second or two - not dumping the mag by any stretch.

I...put the entire mag through one (admittedly ragged) hole, firing his (relatively speaking) incredibly solid and stable 1911. First couple rounds were 1/second, but after I learned the rise and rhythm...I was the same pace as my XD-s.

I cannot imagine practicing with a fullsize, then thinking you can carry a compact/subcompact, and expecting it to all "work just the same". About all that "works the same" is "one-pull-one-bang".

Back