testtest

Wildlife numbers?

In the last year, 2, 5 or 10 years have the numbers of certain wildlife decreased or increased in your area? Antelope was plentiful up till '80, but have stayed abundant the next county above. Quail numbers have dropped with lack of cover. Turkey has lowered since my grandma stopped feeding them and no horses(she sold her horses and she died in '98). Still have good turkey numbers, but not as many. Whitetail and mule have been hit and miss(no pun intended). Hogs are getting worse! They could be the reason for other numbers going down, but not the only reason?

In my area, you don’t see as many deer as I used to, but the turkey population has really thrived, don’t see to much small game either, rabbits, squirrels, plus ground hogs are really hard to come by, this was my dads favorite hunting, I too, loved to go out ground hog hunting with my Ruger .220swift, but no more.

Whitetail Deer and turkey numbers have continued to grow in MO, also there are greater numbers of Turkey Vultures. Armadillos continue to increase in numbers and can be found as far north as Interstate 70. The small elk herd that was introduced in 2011 continues to grow and last year for the first time hunting permits were issued. I could be wrong but I think 5 permits were issued and all 5 were filled.

The MO deer population is estimated to be 1.4 million and during the rut some Interstate highways are littered with carcasses.

Interesting comments on the quail. They have decreased around here (Iowa) as well. Can't say when, but I have noticed it since I was a kid.
Have not seen an Owl in years, but they introduced more hawks and eagles and you do see them. Have not seen as many bats as I used to. Deer are good. They brought in some turkeys and in some areas they are doing good. Tons of pheasants where I live as the farmers are a little different and leave some grass land around streams and in some places they want to plow and plant as close as they can.
I would say, quail, owls, bats are down since I was younger. Oh and bees. Used to see tons and tons of bees. Not so much anymore.

Interesting comments on the quail. They have decreased around here (Iowa) as well. Can't say when, but I have noticed it since I was a kid.
Have not seen an Owl in years, but they introduced more hawks and eagles and you do see them. Have not seen as many bats as I used to. Deer are good. They brought in some turkeys and in some areas they are doing good. Tons of pheasants where I live as the farmers are a little different and leave some grass land around streams and in some places they want to plow and plant as close as they can.
I would say, quail, owls, bats are down since I was younger. Oh and bees. Used to see tons and tons of bees. Not so much anymore.
At least in Missouri I think it’s due to farming practices. Farmers don’t leave fence rows anymore. They plant right up to the road. The last two times I jumped coveys of quail I was in the woods bow hunting. Quail need cover close to food and water.

Rabbits and Quail are way down around this area compared to 20 years ago. We have way more Deer , Turkeys , and Bobcats . There has been an increase of Cougars also in my area. Even though many people still say there aren't any here.

Squirrels , Dove , Owls , and Hawks seem to be about the same.

Quail and turkey have really been decimated locally over the past several years in direct proportion to the increase in Coyotes over the same time. Our state's Whitetailed deer herd has grown considerably from the early 1900's due to far better management and regulation.

In some areas it may seem that certain game animals and wildlife in general has decreased, when the fact is that's not entirely true. So much land today that is now privately owned and posted to outdoors activities holds much more wildlife than even several years ago when so much more land was open to the public. As land is posted and wildlife protected/limited from hunting and other harassment, the wildlife moves to those quieter, safer parcels of land so we see far fewer on open public lands. One trip to most any high dollar private hunting club will verify that, and especially so when that private club land actually borders a big parcel of public land.

I've hunted here locally for more than 65 yrs and seen much change. I've seen the times when almost every big parcel of land used for farming, ranching, and even citrus growing, was pretty much open to hunters. But then we hunters took care of that man's property by rehanging a fence wire if we found it down, not leaving gates and gaps open for his herds to mix, stomping on a farmer's crops, etc, etc. In fact over many years in the areas I hunted, I carried a small number of fence staples in my pocket and a pair of fence pliers just for those times I found a string of wire down. I always reported things back to the land owner that would be detrimental to them even if it meant going several miles out of my way or even cancelling my hunting trip for that day. In other words, back over the years people in general took as good care of a man's property and assets as he did.

Unfortunately today not so much. I've seen people deliberately drive a 4x4 truck through a man's wire fence rather than get out and open a gate/gap because there was a water puddle and muddy access in front of the gate. I've seen some of those same kinds drive trucks and/or ATV's directly across a planted field, and even seen where they have done donuts, etc, etc, etc in those fields. All of this kind of stuff is what causes more and more land to be posted and not accessible to the regular guy. And that same posting of large parcels of land is where the wildlife goes when pressured on public land. And lastly, the large number of people trying to utilize public lands often take a large number of game by legal means and as regulations allow. But the result is that the next guy usually won't see as much wildlife as the guy who got there last week.

So it's really a crap-shoot as to whether what we see as an increase or decrease in any particular wildlife is valid or not, especially when observing public lands. Those who live on or near certain areas and frequent those areas often usually have a little better grasp on the habitat and the wildlife it will/does sustain better than those who travel long distances for a one weekend or week long hunt. I've been fortunate to have seen it from both sides and will honestly say I think most wildlife has benefited, whether in numbers or in general herd health due to far better wildlife regulation and controls.

Just this one man's POV y'all! Something to ponder.

Quail, especially blues were very abundant back in the '70s up until mid '90s oil and gas companies always manage to ruin their cover(plum brush mostly). Bobs are down, but decent numbers. With good tree lines and other types of cover near water turkey and quail manage to stay around. I have seen pheasent a few times, but are usually 2 counties away. With crp land on a plains landscape is where I mostly find them.

Back