testtest

Window day!!

Having installed literally thousands of windows in my life I can tell you with certainty it’s way better to do it on a very hot day than a very cold day. 😉
and it's even better when someone else does it, and i just watch. (any repair/installation work, not just windows)

i always provide at the very least 2 large coolers, ice, and soft drinks and water.

and if the crew is small..??

a 6 pack each of beer.........i kid you not.

I will be having some new windows installed in the back of the house today. Have waited 4 months for today. It is going to be over 100 degrees today! Hope they work fast.
i'd have to do an inventory of how many windows i have from the basement up to the 3rd floor (multi-family home), but if i were to take a quick guess, i have like 50 windows...

last time i got a "quick" estimate, each window was like $800 each.

no way in hell am i gonna be paying like nearly $75,000 (or more now) just for windows.....

i'll let the new owner do all that, when i jump ship someday.

till then, we can live with the drafts.

Man, I made a lot of money installing windows while saving money for my customers. I sold the windows at cost and charged $150-ish per hole for installation. That's trimmed and capped and old windows hauled off. I made obscene money and my customers paid less than half of what the big companies were charging. And they got better windows to boot. EPA lead regulations put an end to that. Any house built before 1978 has to be treated as a lead remediation. The only other option was to provide a paint chip from each side, top and bottom of each window and submit them for testing at $25 per chip. I paid $500 to be certified in lead remediation and it was $350/year to renew. Entire area inside and out had to be contained with special plastic ( The only thing special about it was it said "Danger Lead" on it) then all of it had to be put in special bags. Then you just take it to the regular landfill. Which tells you right there it was a money grab.

Anyway, that dramatically reduced my above board window business.

Man, I made a lot of money installing windows while saving money for my customers. I sold the windows at cost and charged $150-ish per hole for installation. That's trimmed and capped and old windows hauled off. I made obscene money and my customers paid less than half of what the big companies were charging. And they got better windows to boot. EPA lead regulations put an end to that. Any house built before 1978 has to be treated as a lead remediation. The only other option was to provide a paint chip from each side, top and bottom of each window and submit them for testing at $25 per chip. I paid $500 to be certified in lead remediation and it was $350/year to renew. Entire area inside and out had to be contained with special plastic ( The only thing special about it was it said "Danger Lead" on it) then all of it had to be put in special bags. Then you just take it to the regular landfill. Which tells you right there it was a money grab.

Anyway, that dramatically reduced my above board window business.
and that lead BS will kill me too, as my house was built in 1860....

so, not only lead, but asbestos siding as well.....

so now maybe it can be "seen" why i ain't about to do all that.

an investor, or group will buy my house "as-is", and do what is needed on the cheap.

seen it too many times in my neighborhood.

then get insane rents like $2,000 3,000.......or more.

they can have it.

and that lead BS will kill me too, as my house was built in 1860....

so, not only lead, but asbestos siding as well.....

so now maybe it can be "seen" why i ain't about to do all that.

an investor, or group will buy my house "as-is", and do what is needed on the cheap.

seen it too many times in my neighborhood.

then get insane rents like $2,000 3,000.......or more.

they can have it.
A few municipalities around here made rules that asbestos shingles would have to be properly removed before installing replacement siding. I ignored them all and roll right over the top of that crap with fanfold polystyrene underlayment, which will contain it. Then roll over it with siding. No one ever showed up to stop me. In fact no one ever showed up on a window job I did either.

A few municipalities around here made rules that asbestos shingles would have to be properly removed before installing replacement siding. I ignored them all and roll right over the top of that crap with fanfold polystyrene underlayment, which will contain it. Then roll over it with siding. No one ever showed up to stop me. In fact no one ever showed up on a window job I did either.
yes exactly here too, only 1 more thing..

my house is in a Historic District, meaning for the outside, it must conform to the way it was built way back then, as far as esthetics go, and the building inspectors show up to make sure all dangerous materials are removed by state certified companies....

in other words, again, last time i got an estimate to remove the asbestos shingles and replace with composite siding the historic people approve of..??

$125,000..........that's just the asbestos shingles removal and disposal.......the siding..???

forgedaboudit.........

i'd need a "conservative" $500,000 to remodel my house, and at my age...........???

Yeah in historic Lexington MA they had rules like that, everything had to look like it was built in the 1700's. Couldn't do anything without the city up your butt inspecting. That was another reason I didn't retire there. Here in New Mexico they are just starting to pass and inspect code laws. There is a lot of not so good remodeling jobs here. Thats why I hire a competent contractor to do anything I need done and make sure they are licensed and bonded. I have seen a bunch of crap jobs done here by fly by nights. I also took Bassbobs advice and didn't use window world or other low end installers. You do get what you pay for and I wanted it done right the first time. These guys really did a great job and new framing around window was sealed and painted. Looks like the window was installed when the house was built.

Back