testtest

XD9101 Barrel not centered

slemnah

Alpha
I just purchased an XD9101 and as I was cleaning it I noticed that the barrel isn't centered in the slide, it points slightly down (see pic). Is this normal? Is it adjustable? Won't this wear the bottom of the barrel and the slide as I shoot? It seems to shoot slightly low on the target at 21'.
Steve

Attachments

• barrel.jpg
    barrel.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 293
  • target.jpg
    target.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 203
Most pistols that don’t have a barrel bushing are like that, no worries, and no it won’t wear the barrel or the slide, without a bushing there is really no way for the barrel to be centered unless your gun has a match grade bull barrel like in some target or competition guns, yours is fine.

I had an urge to check my XDs when I read the first post, at work.

Whoops, hehe. Yeah, let's keep that out of sight around other people...

So, when I got home and changed into my workout clothes, I unstrapped the XDs, cleared it, and checked - my barrel rides low in the slide as well. As noted above, the slide opening is larger than the exterior of the barrel, because as the slide moves, the barrel moves up and down.

Clear your pistol. Check it visually and digitally (stick a finger in the chamber to verify that it's empty). Then, run the slide back and forth by hand as slowly as the spring will allow you to, and you'll see the barrel rise and fall as the slide moves.

As for shooting low...are you flinching/anticipating the recoil? Have someone observe you while you shoot, and see if you're flinching, which would be evident in a muzzle-dip right before the bang. Or, do you need to adjust your grip and sight picture? With my XDs, I went through a phase where I was flinching. I adjusted my grip, and my attitude, and she's dead-on-target now. More accurate than I am, anyway...

I don't think I am flinching, I think it's more that I just need to adjust my eyes to the sights. This is the first time shooting this gun so I am very pleased at the accuracy of it. The groupings are slightly right and slightly left of center for most of the bullets. I definitely would have killed whatever I was shooting at. I also shot at 54' and it wasn't as accurate but one I figured out the sights it got a lot better with eleven hits in the 10 ring.

When you’re dry firing, do it several times and then have someone put an empty case on the front of the slide.
or
Live fire put a snap cap or two randomly in the mag. Better if someone else loads the mag.
Almost guarantee you’ll catch yourself pushing the front down.

Like Hans said certain pistols are set up for a 6 o’clock hold or a combat hold.
6C041645-2A03-4A59-A452-635C5F744C61.jpeg

With your barrel it is “off center” or has some play when it is “locked” (slide fully closed) and “unlocked” when you pull the slide back or the pistol is fired. Some pistols, when you rack the slide, the barrel will tilt upwards. It is more pronounced on some pistols vs others. It is designed that way.

Back