testtest

XDM Elite 3.8 or 4.5

MATT071791

Operator
Hey guys so I’m comparing these two for my next purchase. The XDM Elite 3.8 (full size grip) or the 4.5 inch version. I’m leaning towards the 3.8 version. I think it looks cleaner. I know .7 inches hardly makes a difference for velocity. I just wanted to get some opinions from you all to help me decide. Thanks for the input!

Hey guys so I’m comparing these two for my next purchase. The XDM Elite 3.8 (full size grip) or the 4.5 inch version. I’m leaning towards the 3.8 version. I think it looks cleaner. I know .7 inches hardly makes a difference for velocity. I just wanted to get some opinions from you all to help me decide. Thanks for the input!
For a most rounds it’s 50-100fps, so yeah no biggie. I have the 3.8 compact and a 4.5. The guns shoot much better than I do but there’s an appreciable difference at longer distances. With the 3.8 (50y) I’m getting groups around 3-4in with the 4.5 (it’s a 40cal) I’m getting 2-3in groups.
That’s just me and the 3.8 is my EDC so I’d say go with what makes you happy.

The 4.5 may not offer that much more in terms of objective external or terminal ballistics, but it will offer better objective/subjective controllability.

Rent a 4.5 and a 3.8 Compact (it's unlikely that the range will have a 3.8 to rent, in my experience), and use the full-size magazine with the 3.8 Compact. Shoot a scored, timed metric, holding yourself to either scoring as high as possible in time-allowed or shoot for lowest time possible (if the range allows for rapid-fire). I am willing to bet -and I'm not a betting man- that there's going to be not only a measurable, but also significant, favor to the 4.5. As @OkiePewPew noted, when paired with its human variable, it's going to be a noticeable difference that's going to magnify at-distance, or, alternatively, at increased cadence.

If you're looking for concealed carry, the 4.5 won't be any harder -or easier- to conceal. The additional muzzle length, if anything, should actually offer for more "keel" stability below the waistline. Since above-the-waist conceivability is going to be a wash between these two guns which are the same in that respect, one might as well take advantage of the keel effect.

If all you're going for is that the 3.8 "looks cleaner," I would weigh this decision with arguments of not only ballistic performance, but also measurable shooting performance - those are truly viable points to debate. If on the other hand the piece will be solely a safe-queen or is destined only for hobbyist use, then by all means, go after it. :)

the 3.8" Compact is more than capable as an EDC. Mine is in .45 and shoots very well at the distances i'm taking it to (25 Yards and under). So if you are looking for a new EDC or something to shoot at reasonable pistol distances, you should be good to go. If you are looking for better performance at not so average distances for a pistol... go with the 4.5" - Just my 2 cents.

The 4.5 may not offer that much more in terms of objective external or terminal ballistics, but it will offer better objective/subjective controllability.

Rent a 4.5 and a 3.8 Compact (it's unlikely that the range will have a 3.8 to rent, in my experience), and use the full-size magazine with the 3.8 Compact. Shoot a scored, timed metric, holding yourself to either scoring as high as possible in time-allowed or shoot for lowest time possible (if the range allows for rapid-fire). I am willing to bet -and I'm not a betting man- that there's going to be not only a measurable, but also significant, favor to the 4.5. As @OkiePewPew noted, when paired with its human variable, it's going to be a noticeable difference that's going to magnify at-distance, or, alternatively, at increased cadence.

If you're looking for concealed carry, the 4.5 won't be any harder -or easier- to conceal. The additional muzzle length, if anything, should actually offer for more "keel" stability below the waistline. Since above-the-waist conceivability is going to be a wash between these two guns which are the same in that respect, one might as well take advantage of the keel effect.

If all you're going for is that the 3.8 "looks cleaner," I would weigh this decision with arguments of not only ballistic performance, but also measurable shooting performance - those are truly viable points to debate. If on the other hand the piece will be solely a safe-queen or is destined only for hobbyist use, then by all means, go after it. :)
The only thing I’d kinda disagree with is the concealability. For my body and clothing, the extended mag for the Compact shows too much through my shirt. It’s also partially a holster issue as it doesn’t turn the grip into my body enough.

Separately, @MATT071791 the longer sight radius is helpful for people with poor eyesight and at longer distances.

Thanks to our members. Y’all are providing some great info.

The only thing I’d kinda disagree with is the concealability. For my body and clothing, the extended mag for the Compact shows too much through my shirt. It’s also partially a holster issue as it doesn’t turn the grip into my body enough.

I think I worded that badly 😅 -

^ What I had meant was that the full grip-length frame that is shared between the 4.5 and the 3.8 makes conceability a wash. Thus, if an end-user decides to conceal-carry with the 3.8, there's really no reason not to also look at the 4.5, as typically, muzzle length (unless it exceeds that of the typical "full-size duty pistol") that hangs below the beltline matters less than the length of the grip frame - which, as you so rightfully noted, also shares implications with the holster (i.e. grip rotation as-effected by either asymmetric holster body/hardware or claw/wing type mechanism).

As with you, I use the flush/short 13 (for the Elite, this would be 14) round magazine for concealed carry - stepping to the full-capacity magazine for the reload. :)

Good catch there, @OkiePewPew (y) - and I hope this helps clarify what I'd written!

I own both the 4.5 and the 3.8 full size XD-M Elites in 9mm. I prefer the 4.5 and shoot it more accurately than the 3.8. The 3.8 is a good gun, but it doesn't fill any role better than another model in the XD-M Elite line. The 4.5 is better at the range, and the 3.8 Compact is significantly better for concealed-carry. I would recommend shooting both models, if possible, before making a decision.

Separately, @MATT071791 the longer sight radius is helpful for people with poor eyesight and at longer distances.

Thanks to our members. Y’all are providing some great info.

I agree the concealability is not as good as I hoped, but I too attribute part of that to my holster/lack of claw. I don't have the extended 13 rd mag/grip yet so it's somewhat more manageable.

If you're going to go with the full sized grip, you may as well go with the full length barrel. I have the 4.5" XDM (before they called it "Elite") and it's a great full sized pistol. I had no intention of carrying it concealed, but I found that I could very easily if I wanted to in a Vedder Lite Draw holster. Not exactly a shorts and t-shirt gun, but fine with an outer garment. But, if you don't like the look, that may be your priority. I like the longer barrel. Get the whole gun! 😊

I am very happy with my Elite 3.8 10mm Compact and because of the larger size of my hands run only the extended magazines. The Galco Holster I’ve had and used for years holds the gun very close to my body and conceals very well. I also see no big difference between the 3.8 10mm or the 4.5 45ACP in regards to shooting at the distances I train at.

I have a question on XDM Elite compact 10mm, I am sure all XDM or XD for that matter are the same.....when one is trying to rack it the grip safety must be pressed down to do so.....is this correct?

Thank you in advance or all your answers!

I think I worded that badly 😅 -

^ What I had meant was that the full grip-length frame that is shared between the 4.5 and the 3.8 makes conceability a wash. Thus, if an end-user decides to conceal-carry with the 3.8, there's really no reason not to also look at the 4.5, as typically, muzzle length (unless it exceeds that of the typical "full-size duty pistol") that hangs below the beltline matters less than the length of the grip frame - which, as you so rightfully noted, also shares implications with the holster (i.e. grip rotation as-effected by either asymmetric holster body/hardware or claw/wing type mechanism).

As with you, I use the flush/short 13 (for the Elite, this would be 14) round magazine for concealed carry - stepping to the full-capacity magazine for the reload. :)

Good catch there, @OkiePewPew (y) - and I hope this helps clarify what I'd written!
Gotcha. You’re always coming with good info. Appreciate you and the other SMEs in the group.

^ I try, but alas, my pool of knowledge is about as wide and deep as a Midwest pothole! :giggle: I contribute what little I can, where I can! :)

Back