testtest

Your favorite brand of practice ammo....

I prefer Federal or Fiocchi but I will use Winchester and Speer if I catch a sale. Speer is a little nasty but I have never had issue with it other than that.
I have had two rounds fail to fire from my XDS since I bought it when they first released. Both were Remington green and white. Both had a sufficient divett in the primer. Oddly both times my brother was shooting the gun and it was years apart.

For my pistols (XD Mod2 9, XDS9), as of lately I've been running Remington UMC, and I've used Magtech with no problems either. I always run 115gr FMJ for practice. Have been meaning to try some Fiocchi.

However, whenever I'm at the PX, a 45 mile drive one-way, I always pickup some S&B (Sellier & Bellot). It runs like a champ in my Springfields and my wife's M&P .380EZ, with no problems. Seems to burn cleaner (imo), and I prefer it over the others.

For my Saint Edge, I run American Eagle 55gr FMJ, and no problems with that either.

Last edited:
I don't really have a favorite.
I guess I'm lucky both of my Springfield MOD-2's and my Smith&Wesson model 59 eats anything without a hiccup.
I have used American Eagle, Winchester White Box and freezer bags full of reloads, whatever is on sale..

For centerfire guns I've use a good mix of Federal, Remington UMC, Sellier & Belloit, and Fiocchi ammo.

Rimfire I've found great success with Federal you can get 550 rounds of 36gr copper dusted at Walmart for $20.
I've had more duds using Winchester white box .22lrs then any other brand.

I stay away from Remington thunderbolt because of the heavy lead fouling it leaves in my pistols. It seems to run fine in a rifle though.

Last edited:
Whatever is cheapest that'll run well in my guns. :)

I started shooting not too much before The Craze of 2012-14, so I've really sampled quite a bit of what's available for 9x19, which is what I mostly shoot - and truthfully, in terms of range fodder, I've honestly never seen that much of a difference with the exception of unique-gun-to-unique-ammo tolerance-stacking issues. For example, my buddy's Roland Special build likes to toss 124 gr. Blazer Brass: his groups using this specific ammo is about 2x as big as on virtually *all* other ammo. Similarly, with my main training/range-use 4.5-inch XDm9, I can't seem to get reliable function from 115 gr. Magtech, while my EDC XDm9 3.8 Compact locks up to the point that it'll require mortaring when I try malfunction medleys with it using once-fired AE brass.

I've shot tens of thousands of rounds of both 115 gr. WWB and 115 gr. Blazer Brass, and both have treated me well. I think that each of their known FTFire rates in my guns have been on the order of 0.5% (zero-point-five percent) or less - as a concrete translation, that would be less than 50 problematic rounds out of each 10,000 rounds fired.

I've also pushed a fair bit of Remington UMC, and aside from having some spectacular muzzle flash in low-light, I didn't find it to be any dirtier or otherwise less desirable than any other range-fodder:

12924414_1069864743056406_4507031451781933664_n.jpg

^ You can see the target lit up by my WML (Surefire XC-1), but that muzzle blast and tracer-effect? That's all UMC! :)

I've shot a bunch of Freedom Munitions - both new-manufacture and their remans during the worst of The Craze. I'm actually just now about 1,500 rounds out from finishing my last order from them, a case of their new manufactures using X-Treme cases, which dates back to 2016. I had no problems hitting a Challenge Targets ABC-zone steel, at the 45 yard line, even shooting with just one hand, from a gun that's seen now close to 55,000 live-fired rounds and was last cleaned in the spring of 2019. :)

Fiocchi and S&B's 115 gr. fare well in my XDms, too, as do the various weights/lengths of Speer's Lawman series. Lately, I've really learned to love Magtech, but as I noted above, the 115 gr. variety really doesn't play well with my main training gun for some strange reason.

Honestly, though, if there's some brass case that's hovering around 18 cents per, you can be pretty sure I'm hitting that "buy" button. ;)

Back