Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Dillion

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Lyman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Combo of brands

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
I'm just breaking into reloading and haven't even setup my bench yet. I got a Hornady kit for Christmas from the wife and I've already picked up some .40/10mm RCBS dies. I don't have enough experience yet reloading to have a brand preference but with time I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Had to check combo because I have equipment from all of them. Hate to think how much I have paid to them over the last 50 years. :) I do know a lot of the equipment I started with costs a whole lot more than what I paid for it back in the day. Also have to believe what I have saved in ammunition more than makes up for what I paid. ;)

With the way and what I shoot my ROI was 8 months after initiation of reload. A long time reloader it was a restart for me from zero equipment.

Have some equipment from every body. Have to say I have received great service from Hornady and RCBS. Have not had to use others as yet.
I think that they all strive to be good as there is so much competition out there.

I didn't have a favorite when I started. The person that got me interested in reloading was a veterinarian that he and his family are avid hunters. Redding was my first die sets in 44 mag, 264 wm and 270 win. I had been reading about Dillon 550's and have had it since '84. There are newer products out there that has peaked my interest and have bought since then.

1579558723239.jpeg

lol, thought this was a good one.....

While I can't say I have used many maker's reloaders (and I am sure many make fine loaders), I have been extremely pleased with my 4 Dillon machines I have owned (and others I've used). I have used dies and other tools form pretty much all the makers, and my general feeling in the industry is that most of the big boys are making quality product. I think its most important to pick machines/tools that best meet your loading goals versus the maker, in most folk's cases. That being said, the Dillion loader lineup is pretty bangin'....

I have a Hornady Lock N Load Classic, and a Lyman All American 8 Turret. I’ve only used the Lyman a few months, but I like it for sizing my 9mm thus far. I’ll have a better feel for it once I try forming .300 Blackout from cutdown 5.56mm cases. My Hornady, with LnL bushings is the favorite, by far, but I’ve just bought a 2nd turret head...maybe I’ll stick with Rifle (or bottleneck) on Lyman and Hornady for pistol.

Priming on the press the Hornady, with Auto Prime, wins hands down. I tried priming on the Lyman, and it works...but many more issues with it that with the Hornady.

Decapping, my preferred is the Hornady, with the 3D printed primer catcher and drain hose, but I haven’t had any significant issues decapping on the Lyman, as many have reported. You DO have to slow down with the Lyman or you drop spent primers everywhere. For BULK decapping I prefer the Frankford Arsenal Hand Deprimeror the Lee Breech Lock Hand Press.

Dies...I’ve used Redding, Lee, Lyman, and Hornady. The majority of my dies are Hornady (thank you free bullets). I had serious and significant problems with the Redding, and the Lee (replaced my 9mm dies for Lyman MSR). Knowing now what I’ve learned in 2 years, I have no viable reason for purchasing any dies but Hornady from now on. Basically, set and forget with the Lock-N-Load bushings. I recently installed Hornady locking rings on dies in my Lyman All American Turret, time will tell if they serve the intended purpose. I watched a tube video recently comparing the RCBS Small Base die to the standard Hornady .223 sizing die...and the Hornady standard die beat the RCBS Small Base die hands down.

Crimp dies...almost always Lee Factory Crimp die...but I’m testing a couple of Hornady Crimp dies...they don’t have the carbide sizing ring as the Lee FCD, but seem to affect my case mouths less.

As a disclaimer...I’m 2 years into this, so consider this my 2 cents, and in no way an expert opinion.

Back