testtest

Can we trust the Experts?

michael.ed

Master Class
Founding Member
Very interesting article on who the experts are in gun control.

Haven’t read this yet but the title says enough for me to want to caution :
“Trusting the experts” is what Europeans did and still do, on the political level ever since they handed their own countries’ authority off to rotating technocrat careerists in Brussels.
Maybe its done some hidden good, avoided some worse evil, I dunno. But I’m doubtful.

There is no such thing being an expert on anything, there is always something new to learn as things change.
True, Key…. they hopefully give the latest, most accurate information on a subject.
My problem with ‘experts’ is when we begin to lean on them for, or they cross over in to, decision-making…
Decision making involves application of morals and standards. Or ought to at certain levels…

I prefer experts who stick to whats been called “a disinterested search for the truth”. (Disinterested as in: not having an agenda or ulterior motive).

There is no such thing being an expert on anything, there is always something new to learn as things change.

I think that there can definitely be experts -

But anyone who would consider themselves an "expert" in any field also knows well the need to further their knowledge. In my life, I've been lucky to have been able to come across many true experts in their field who have shaped and guided my path. To-a-person, they are the picture of humility and ever-humble, and know not only the limitations of their knowledge in that specific field, but also when they are starting to stray from their lane.

The other end of the spectrum? Dunning-Kruger. :LOL:

Nowadays if anyone with some letters after their name offers an opinion he or she automatically becomes an expert! Probably the only real experts that count have one of these:

Attachments

• 1628528332226.png
    1628528332226.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 136
Nowadays if anyone with some letters after their name offers an opinion he or she automatically becomes an expert! Probably the only real experts that count have one of these:

^ That requires objective qualification, though, correct?

Well, getting a Ph.D. or M.D. or "Professor of" or other such additions after one's name - that *_also_* requires quantifiable qualification.

Unless someone is given an "honorary degree," none of those distinctions are conferred willy-nilly, and they do attest to a person's level of expertise in their select field of study, won through countless hours of study, testing, defense of their views versus a panel of other experts in their very field, and oftentimes a lifetime of required continual practice.

To add, it's my personal belief that we've come to a weird inflection point in our society/culture. We are often fond of saying that "back in the day," so-and-so or such-and-such. Back in the day, we respected our doctors. We respected our nuclear physicists. We respected our astronauts and the countless support staff which made their missions possible.

Today, it's almost fashionable to be anti-intellectual.

I don't think that this is right.

To-wit: even in our hobby/sport here, are we not driven by science and measurements? By quantifiable results? By our own SMEs who have based their teachings and advice on their own hard-won life-experiences and..... studies (does West Point or Annapolis not count? do they not reference Sun Tzu or Musashi or study history?).

I don't agree that science is the enemy in the same way that I don't believe that religion or patriotism or tribalism is the enemy.

I think that science merely shows us what is known *_in the moment._* - and itself is only ever capable of proving itself wrong. I think it is much more important that we critically *_think_* about the "science" that we are presented with, to examine the strengths and weaknesses of the arguments which it presents, so that we can make informed decisions.

Blame not the scientist nor science.

Blame those who are spinning things for their own gain: be it science, or history, or even your feelings.

Last edited:
Trust the science, trust the experts? Science and so called experts declared the Earth was flat at one time not that long ago for one. Supposedly everything revolved around the Earth for another example. Then, for another, many calamities, disasters and senseless wars were also started by science and supposed experts.... like many of the current ones. So, um, no, not ever completely.

My Dad got one of those in WW-2. He was the wisest man I have ever known. Dad told me a long time ago “Don’t believe anything you hear and only about half what you see.” I’m old, Dad has been gone a while now, but I still miss him dearly.

Over the past few years, I have grown so tired of people saying that just because someone doesn’t agree with them that they are science deniers or some such ridiculous dribble. A lot of those people calling others science deniers know nothing about science.

Of course (as the public health “experts” expound), if there were no guns, there could be no gun related injuries or deaths. The problem is politicians who act on that, believing if there are FEWER guns there would be less injuries and deaths and ignore the real statistics. If a politician is anti-gun (most of them have armed security??), it won’t be to difficult to find an “expert” to back up whatever action that politician wants to take.

So, um, no, not ever completely.
Exactly - not ever completely.

That's the thing about science, though. It can only ever prove itself wrong.

Science later suggested that the earth is not flat. Science also suggested that the earth wasn't at the center of the known universe.

Science is about questioning, and that's what folks should remember: and like @somorris wrote, just because one questions the science -no matter how popular that line of thinking at the moment- it should not automatically brand one a "science denier."

Opposing views can -and should- exist in science. Proving ourselves wrong and wanting is how progress is made.

Exactly - not ever completely.

That's the thing about science, though. It can only ever prove itself wrong.

Science later suggested that the earth is not flat. Science also suggested that the earth wasn't at the center of the known universe.

Science is about questioning, and that's what folks should remember: and like @somorris wrote, just because one questions the science -no matter how popular that line of thinking at the moment- it should not automatically brand one a "science denier."

Opposing views can -and should- exist in science. Proving ourselves wrong and wanting is how progress is made.

"Science is about questioning, and that's what folks should remember: and like @somorris wrote, just because one questions the science -no matter how popular that line of thinking at the moment- it should not automatically brand one a "science denier." - Very true.

Far too many people take science as an exact, as black and white, yes or no, true or false subject. It isn't. Generally speaking, science is an educated guess in the gray areas between the black and white. On other supposed self declared experts? That's another subject on other gray areas? Possibly not having or using far too little of it?....

^ Again, you've hit it right on the head.

The problem are the self (or media/social community) declared "experts" - as well as the media (and various social communities as well) literally driving/steering the presentation of information towards their own biases and agendas.

What I tell my friends and family is that whenever you see something out there that really resonates with your thinking, immediately take a step back and go *_find_* something that runs contrary or at least questions that source. Learn to see more than just one side -especially just your side- of the argument.

Science in NOT exact! Only disproven, not proved. Why do you think there is science fiction? I know it's not real science, but none the less. There are several PHDs out the, but none in firearms that I know of. A metalurgest/metalurgy does not make a firearm expert. Brake down expert:. EX, meaning used to be, not or without. PERR, meaning, actracticely lively or cheeky. Expert is misleading being a 2 syllable word, but altered for or shortened for simplistity (expertise). Professional would/could be a better choice. That can still draw wrong conclusions.

^ There's actually a very highly regarded dentist in the mix.

And I'm sure that there's more than a few Ph.D.s in the industry as well.

Similarly, don't forget that accreditation through various trade guilds also signify that one has attained a quantifiable level of knowledge and know-how, and produce works that are considered to be of a higher grade. Look at the American Pistolsmith Guild pistolsmiths: https://americanhandgunner.com/discover/exclusives/best-gunsmiths-in-the-u-s/

And don't forget all the J.D.s that are literally defending our 2A rights as well as law-abiding citizens and our service men and women in righteous defensive shoots.

The thing is, one can be an expert and yet still be wrong. That's not forbidden, and in-truth, to err and then seek to better oneself and one's understanding of even the very subject area where one is supposedly an expert? Thats not a bad thing at all.

Well experts on what? Science ? Not only is science fallible and historically radically incorrect on a very high percentage of all but the most basic premises, but "Scientists" also stick their noses into things that do not require science or scientists. They believe every single facet of the world is their domain and they are smarter than you. And don't forget that scientists get paid by someone.

So for instance take the 2A. It hasn't got anything to do with science. The language is clear to anyone who isn't purposely misconstruing it.

OK, here we go...again.

Of late there are many news reporting leading stories and printed column inches devoted to the “resurgence” of the Covid 19 virus. They breathlessly recite the deadliness, the widespread sorrow and never-ending tragedy associated with the new variant. Headlines are seemingly limiting their reporting to “new cases”. Indeed, this heated diatribe continues unabated.

You will hear impending news of doom, masks, and lockdowns regardless of your current events source. Never, I repeat never will you hear how these “new cases” break down by age, ethnicity, or co-morbidity.

Does the information mean these new cases are mortally ill and struggling for their last breath?

Are the majority these new cases actually exhibiting extreme symptoms of any kind?

Have the Media bred a new strain of panic in the populace that demands a Covid test with every runny nose or sneeze?

YES!

By and large these new cases have been discovered by sinus swab testing. They speak with raised brows and flushed cheeks about “viral loads equaling those of the unvaccinated” and allow the viewer to reach his or her own conclusions. The first question I asked was, Did I take the shot for naught?

Still there is little, if any, reportage on the infected horde of illegal invaders crossing our borders and then, at American taxpayers’ expense, being shipped across the land with no warning or precautions taken. The government says “…roughly 30% of these” illegal intruders “have refused” the shot and yet they are transported happily to their destinations. The federal government freely admits eight of every one hundred illegals are actively infected with Covid as they enter the United States.

In every sense, this the equivalent of biologically carpet bombing our own soil with the sick of other nations while in full knowledge these new torpedoes of destruction will transmit their deadly cargo to each and every corner of the land.

We hear reports of hospital ICUs being “swamped” but when contacted, the hospitals are ignorant of that “fact”.

We are being threatened with mandatory inoculation programs, testing regimens and health passports (OK, I can’t help it. Show me your papers!) but still they distribute the ill and contagious from sea-to-shining-sea!

They tell us the inoculated are virtually immune from death but that we are potentially contagious???

They tell us our young children have but a miniscule chance of sickness or death but want them injected too???

Now, they want us all to again go masked when it has been shown SCIENTIFICALLY the mask has little or no prophylactic properties other than as a psychological band aid.

To add insult to injury, the loudest proponents of masking and inoculation will not follow their own rules nor force them upon the intruders.

Our own White House will not release the number of staff who have been vaccinated (percentages please, I don’t need names) nor will they discuss how many have contracted the virus…vaccinated or otherwise! I have heard reports that 43% of White House staffers have not been inoculated.

It is apparent at least some of these folks are waiting to see how things work out before they submit to the jab.

Did anyone here volunteer to be a Guinea Pig?

Is there any wonder many Americans have been put off from getting this drug?

Is there any wonder why the CDC, Congress and the White House suffer from a severe lack of credibility?

I have moved from the cautiously optimistic to the unpersuadable disbelieving.

OK, here we go...again.

Of late there are many news reporting leading stories and printed column inches devoted to the “resurgence” of the Covid 19 virus. They breathlessly recite the deadliness, the widespread sorrow and never-ending tragedy associated with the new variant. Headlines are seemingly limiting their reporting to “new cases”. Indeed, this heated diatribe continues unabated.

You will hear impending news of doom, masks, and lockdowns regardless of your current events source. Never, I repeat never will you hear how these “new cases” break down by age, ethnicity, or co-morbidity.

Does the information mean these new cases are mortally ill and struggling for their last breath?

Are the majority these new cases actually exhibiting extreme symptoms of any kind?

Have the Media bred a new strain of panic in the populace that demands a Covid test with every runny nose or sneeze?

YES!

By and large these new cases have been discovered by sinus swab testing. They speak with raised brows and flushed cheeks about “viral loads equaling those of the unvaccinated” and allow the viewer to reach his or her own conclusions. The first question I asked was, Did I take the shot for naught?

Still there is little, if any, reportage on the infected horde of illegal invaders crossing our borders and then, at American taxpayers’ expense, being shipped across the land with no warning or precautions taken. The government says “…roughly 30% of these” illegal intruders “have refused” the shot and yet they are transported happily to their destinations. The federal government freely admits eight of every one hundred illegals are actively infected with Covid as they enter the United States.

In every sense, this the equivalent of biologically carpet bombing our own soil with the sick of other nations while in full knowledge these new torpedoes of destruction will transmit their deadly cargo to each and every corner of the land.

We hear reports of hospital ICUs being “swamped” but when contacted, the hospitals are ignorant of that “fact”.

We are being threatened with mandatory inoculation programs, testing regimens and health passports (OK, I can’t help it. Show me your papers!) but still they distribute the ill and contagious from sea-to-shining-sea!

They tell us the inoculated are virtually immune from death but that we are potentially contagious???

They tell us our young children have but a miniscule chance of sickness or death but want them injected too???

Now, they want us all to again go masked when it has been shown SCIENTIFICALLY the mask has little or no prophylactic properties other than as a psychological band aid.

To add insult to injury, the loudest proponents of masking and inoculation will not follow their own rules nor force them upon the intruders.

Our own White House will not release the number of staff who have been vaccinated (percentages please, I don’t need names) nor will they discuss how many have contracted the virus…vaccinated or otherwise! I have heard reports that 43% of White House staffers have not been inoculated.

It is apparent at least some of these folks are waiting to see how things work out before they submit to the jab.

Did anyone here volunteer to be a Guinea Pig?

Is there any wonder many Americans have been put off from getting this drug?

Is there any wonder why the CDC, Congress and the White House suffer from a severe lack of credibility?

I have moved from the cautiously optimistic to the unpersuadable disbelieving.

^ Exactly.

Examining the driving factors has to always be a part of the equation.

As @Bassbob so rightfully noted, someone's always getting paid, and someone is always doing the paying......

When that is itself confounded by the media - who have ALWAYS had their own agenda, from the time of the printing press and even before - it just gets even cloudier.

-----

Well experts on what? Science ? Not only is science fallible and historically radically incorrect on a very high percentage of all but the most basic premises, but "Scientists" also stick their noses into things that do not require science or scientists.

So, here's the thing - science can only ever prove itself wrong...and as time goes on, we *expect* that we will prove ourselves wrong, don't we?

There was one point in history when we thought we couldn't go faster than horses could carry us.

There was one point in history when we thought the sound barrier wasn't going to be broken.

They believe every single facet of the world is their domain and they are smarter than you.

This is a poor generalization, as this could be said of virtually every and any profession.

And don't forget that scientists get paid by someone.

^ Absolutely.

It's almost always about the money: but even those who are taking the money have a choice of doing things right, versus doing things just to get more money.

So for instance take the 2A. It hasn't got anything to do with science. The language is clear to anyone who isn't purposely misconstruing it.

^ So then there's the argument of/by "social scientists," and the desire for the medical community to view the deaths caused by firearms to be a public health issue.......

The study of firearms as a public health issue is A) irrelevant to the 2A and B) basically a straw man since it is likely that not a single person advocating for it would advocate for disarming the government and unless guns are made unavailable to ANYONE, you are then picking and choosing who YOU believe should be armed. It's nonsensical.

With regards to the "Poor generalization" comment I completely disagree. You don't have lawyers or architects claiming to be experts on Climate Change or Covid 19. You don't have roofers claiming to be experts on immigration policy or space travel. In fact I can't think of a single profession that spreads it's tentacles out to nearly every conceivable notion the way so-called "Scientists" do. The scientific method is not universally necessary or even useful.

The study of firearms as a public health issue is A) irrelevant to the 2A and B) basically a straw man since it is likely that not a single person advocating for it would advocate for disarming the government and unless guns are made unavailable to ANYONE, you are then picking and choosing who YOU believe should be armed. It's nonsensical.

I agree, but nonetheless, that is their aim.

With regards to the "Poor generalization" comment I completely disagree. You don't have lawyers or architects claiming to be experts on Climate Change or Covid 19. You don't have roofers claiming to be experts on immigration policy or space travel. In fact I can't think of a single profession that spreads it's tentacles out to nearly every conceivable notion the way so-called "Scientists" do. The scientific method is not universally necessary or even useful.

I see it differently - what I countered was your generalization that scientists, and I quote:

They believe every single facet of the world is their domain and they are smarter than you.

^ This, to me, suggests that they are imposing their will on someone else - and any of the individuals above can do so, either by their profession or outside of such.

A politically driven prosecutor can press charges even against a righteous defender.

An architect can refuse your hire because he wishes only to take "Green" commissions.

A roofer? Maybe he just decides to charge you more than another customer simply because he doesn't like the flags you fly on your property or your yard signs.

Scientists aren't the only ones who can belittle or deceive or manipulate - and science in and of itself is not the problem, like politics or religion.

There are religious leaders that do not seek to impose their beliefs on others.

There are politicians who do not spread lies to accomplish their goals.

Scientists are no different. There are those who are good, and those who are not so.

Back