testtest

In Defense of A Third Party: The Sheriffs Take

I wouldn't hesitate to defend my family, but it would take a lot for me to insert myself into a disturbance as a private citizen. I'm going to have to personally know someone involved, or it would have to be an obvious active shooter or other serious threat to the public at large. There are just too many opportunities for things to be misinterpreted by onlookers or responding officers to risk bringing my weapon into an altercation in the absence of an immediate and obvious threat.

….complicated topic to say the least…

I couldn’t use my firearm unless it was a life or death situation for one of the other party. And I mean I Imminent.
Having said that, I’m a small guy, and fit but no longer young. I can’t help hoping that if I were ever in dire distress, somebody with some moral fiber would step in - somehow - to assist me… ( just a passing thought…)

As with literally every single thing in life, a cool head, situational awareness, logical reasoning and common sense will dictate my reaction. If a woman or an old man or anyone really is just getting the hell beat out of them or being assaulted with a weapon or something it is very unlikely bassbob is just going to stand there filming it. Using deadly force is a whole other contingency that would require the probability of someone being in jeopardy of losing their life. I could expound on a situation where others are present and the possibility of being assaulted from behind while attempting to come to someone's aid or whatever, but in my very first sentence I mention situational awareness and I assume ( correctly I believe) that all of us understand the meaning of that term.

As with literally every single thing in life, a cool head, situational awareness, logical reasoning and common sense will dictate my reaction. If a woman or an old man or anyone really is just getting the hell beat out of them or being assaulted with a weapon or something it is very unlikely bassbob is just going to stand there filming it. Using deadly force is a whole other contingency that would require the probability of someone being in jeopardy of losing their life. I could expound on a situation where others are present and the possibility of being assaulted from behind while attempting to come to someone's aid or whatever, but in my very first sentence I mention situational awareness and I assume ( correctly I believe) that all of us understand the meaning of that term.
☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️
Exactly how I feel.

The person actively beating another was it fueled by rage or in act of meaningful defense? With no firearm in sight, then what? Coming "late too the party" and not knowing all the details could determine your action (not knowing either party). "Self control" or "justification" involvement? I can give you a true life example where no firearm was involved. At a local ice hockey event where the ages of the players were from 12 -15 and a team pregame warmup just finished. 2 kids on the same team where 1 was a goalie and the other a forward. The team had come off the ice when the father of the goalie made comments to the forward that he (the forward) was playing too rough (no contact was involved on the ice at the time). The father (who played minor league hockey and not from this country) with a closed fist hit the forward (12yo) more than once. The people around the altercation couldn't believe what the man had done and only verbally told the father too stop. The father (who was also at the event) of the 12yo was informed about his son getting hit by the other father rapidly made his way to his son. The instigator was still standing close by. The father of the 12yo said nothing to the other father and gave him (goalie's father) a butt whipping of his life. After his hospital stay (several days) and a court date was set, he sued the parent of the 12yo. The plaintiff won, but had too leave the country. The defendant was on parole until the amount was paid. Too what point was he (12yo's father) justified in his action or should he had more self control?

There was a shooting recently where the 3rd party intervened and stopped the attack lawfully. Police arrived, then shot and killed the 3rd party good samaritan by mistake. Police also admitted their wrongdoing in killing the good samaritan.

dead is dead unfortunately for the person who stepped in lawfully.

was a huge unfortunate mess for everyone .

Read an article once where someone went to intervene in an altercation with his CCW and before it was too late it turned out to be two plainclothes detectives arresting a wanted criminal. Cant imagine if he had discharged his weapon. So to quote BASSBOB, cool head situational awareness logical reasoning and common sense are the safest way to go. Hope my plagiarism doesnt get me in trouble.But it cant be said any better.

Well said☝️☝️, old Marvin and Bob are on the same page…..

There was a shooting recently where the 3rd party intervened and stopped the attack lawfully. Police arrived, then shot and killed the 3rd party good samaritan by mistake. Police also admitted their wrongdoing in killing the good samaritan.

dead is dead unfortunately for the person who stepped in lawfully.

was a huge unfortunate mess for everyone .

We discussed that one here. We ( or at least I) concluded that after a SD shooting you should not be standing there with a gun ( or an AR) in your hand when the cops show up.

Read an article once where someone went to intervene in an altercation with his CCW and before it was too late it turned out to be two plainclothes detectives arresting a wanted criminal. Cant imagine if he had discharged his weapon. So to quote BASSBOB, cool head situational awareness logical reasoning and common sense are the safest way to go. Hope my plagiarism doesnt get me in trouble.But it cant be said any better.
I heard this story as well. Sometimes it's best to be a good witness.

After a sd shooting and you feel sure the situation is relatively stable, you should definitely not be standing around with a gun in your hands as the police arrive. Remember they are the last ones to the party and have no idea who is the bad person. You should holster your weapon and pull out your CCP to show you are a legally responsible gun owner. Let the police remove your weapon, or direct you to, once they are up to speed.

What the Sheriff said is spot on! Getting involved in a third party defense situation is rift with potential problems and pitfalls and should only be attempted in extreme situations. The legal ramifications of getting involved can be staggering even if it was a successful intervention.

Back