testtest

Only Semi-Auto Pistols are Measured this Way-

conax

Master Class
When we measure the barrels on shotguns, rifles or revolvers the barrel begins where the chamber ends.
Pistol barrels' spec sheets include the chamber length as the 'barrel.' Being a stickler for logic it makes no sense to me to change the method of measure for pistols. It can be misleading, even.
Pistols already have a ballistic edge over revolvers since there is no gap to leak gas just beyond the chamber mouth, so we give them inflated barrel lengths, too? It's an outrage I tells yas.
It's time to sweep away this affirmative action for pistols and get logical here. Who's with me! Let's GOOO.

When we measure the barrels on shotguns, rifles or revolvers the barrel begins where the chamber ends.
Pistol barrels' spec sheets include the chamber length as the 'barrel.' Being a stickler for logic it makes no sense to me to change the method of measure for pistols. It can be misleading, even.
Pistols already have a ballistic edge over revolvers since there is no gap to leak gas just beyond the chamber mouth, so we give them inflated barrel lengths, too? It's an outrage I tells yas.
It's time to sweep away this affirmative action for pistols and get logical here. Who's with me! Let's GOOO.
That’s not correct.

Barrel length on rifles and shotguns are measured from the breech face with the action closed and locked, same as pistols.

In fact, only revolvers have their barrel length measured sans chamber…probably because it is a separate piece from the barrel.

So only revolvers are cheated of their glory?
I do measure rifles from the end of the chambers, so I'm all wet. Well it is still a technical inaccuracy. Over the years the marketing department got to the spec writers. ;)
Oh well.
Thanks for clearing that up! This place is great.

That’s not correct.

Barrel length on rifles and shotguns are measured from the breech face with the action closed and locked, same as pistols.

In fact, only revolvers have their barrel length measured sans chamber…probably because it is a separate piece from the barrel.
That clears up quick load on bullet travel! Barrel length minus case length equals bullet travel. Thanks @HansGruber !

So only revolvers are cheated of their glory?
I do measure rifles from the end of the chambers, so I'm all wet. Well it is still a technical inaccuracy. Over the years the marketing department got to the spec writers. ;)
Oh well.
Thanks for clearing that up! This place is great.
No, stop and think about it:

In rifles, shotguns, and pistols, the chamber is part of the barrel.

On a revolver, it is a completely separate component, unattached to the barrel whatsoever…in fact, there is an open gap between them.

There is no “cheating” at all.

The rifled tube is the barrel. Everything else is 'not barrel.'
hahaha
Just the rifled tube is the barrel? - It depends on the firearms design.
Some firing chambers are integral some are not. Some barrels are rifled, some are not.

Example of typical rifle barrel:
FIRE CONTROL FUNDAMENTALS - Part B

Then, there's more barrels that may or may not be "Rifled."
Some may be monkeyed around with through the years too? :)

More Fun Than Barrel of Monkeys-Cute Animal Art Humor ...

Ok, I will rephrase it- the tube the bullet or shot cup or slug or projectile(s) of any kind accelerates through under pressure of the expanding gas behind it is the barrel. Chambers are not the barrel, compensators or suppressors are not the barrel.
The revolver is just the red headed step child of the firearm world, I get it now.

Ok, I will rephrase it- the tube the bullet or shot cup or slug or projectile(s) of any kind accelerates through under pressure of the expanding gas behind it is the barrel. Chambers are not the barrel, compensators or suppressors are not the barrel.
The revolver is just the red headed step child of the firearm world, I get it now.
You’re still wrong.

Ask the BATFE how to measure barrel length, and you’ll get the same answer as I gave you. If a suppressor is permanently attached, it’s barrel.

QEf’inD.

If you'll review post #3 Waaaay back up there I acknowledged that pistols were measured including the chamber.
So you win.
As far as invoking the low down BATFE, these are the agents that consider a trigger upgrade a "machine gun" so their opinion is of no interest to me whatsoever.
Over and Out.

Back