testtest

Review: Langdon Tactical Hellcat Custom

As it happens, I was looking at this yesterday on the LTT YouTube channel; I like the trigger, and Langdon says they do some "other" work on the internals besides just dropping in the trigger (as noted in this video). One thing I've asked Langdon about is the reasoning behind the grip tape/stippling they do - Springfield spent a lot of time coming up with their "adaptive" grip texture... so why would anything need to be done on that?

I'm intrigued with the idea of the new trigger and skunk works on the internals, but I'd probably leave everything else stock and pop a Wasp on it.

(Edit: This assumes I get my Hellcat back from Springfield in working condition; I sent it back under RMA after two sessions for the slide not locking back on empty - intermittently)

As it happens, I was looking at this yesterday on the LTT YouTube channel; I like the trigger, and Langdon says they do some "other" work on the internals besides just dropping in the trigger (as noted in this video). One thing I've asked Langdon about is the reasoning behind the grip tape/stippling they do - Springfield spent a lot of time coming up with their "adaptive" grip texture... so why would anything need to be done on that?

I'm intrigued with the idea of the new trigger and skunk works on the internals, but I'd probably leave everything else stock and pop a Wasp on it.

(Edit: This assumes I get my Hellcat back from Springfield in working condition; I sent it back under RMA after two sessions for the slide not locking back on empty - intermittently)
Ok, thanks for the additional info.

Some "other" work. Well that makes you want to jump right up and go buy it doesn't it???

I'm a little confused here. Does LTT own Apex or something? All I see as far as function is they dropped in an Apex trigger, then they engraved their logo on the HellCat in 2 places and called it a custom?
No LTT does not have any ownership in Apex. Randy Lee and Scott Folk(Me) are the two sole owners of Apex. LTT chose our trigger over the others available for his own reasons.

Have you shot other dots? I'm doubtful, or you wouldn't be plugging the wasp. It was overpriced garbage in my experience. The refresh rate when transitioning from target to target is so poor that it creates a jitter/stutter effect. The lack of any buttons is made worse by the fact that it's slow to respond to changes in lighting conditions. Other than the fact that it fits the Hellcat out of the box, I can't see any reason to run one. In terms of pistol red dots, I own a decent assortment and so feel at least somewhat qualified to compare options out there: Holosun 407k, 507k, 507c x2, 509t, Trij SRO, RMR. I don't love having to use a plate to mount a dot, but fortunately there a number of companies now that will cut down the hellcat posts so you can direct mount a holosun 407k or 507k. Which Springfield should have just done from the beginning instead of coming up with their own line of dots with a different recoil lug pattern, even if the recoil lug pattern is better.

I liked the review, but don't have much interest in the gun. I've never customized anything about any of my carry guns other than adding night sights to any that did not come with them installed. When I started shooting, one of my favorite instructors advised me to never change anything about a gun's trigger or grip until after I fired about 500 rounds. If I didn't shoot the pistol accurately and comfortably as it was designed, then I would consider modifying the gun (or just getting rid of it). So far, I've never felt a need change anything on a carry gun after that amount of time/shots. Competition or BBQ guns are a different story, but my carry guns are usually stock.

If curious / inquisitive about Langdon Tactical's other work not mentioned and can find no other info on other work done on their website or elsewhere, contact LT and ask them? I sure would. Best advice and info is usually from originators. Am sure they'd be more than happy to respond to a present or possible future customer by either email or phone?
In present virus scenario, patience may help?

Thnx That_Apex_Guy,
I didn't think they did. I just didn't think the video showed any reason to call it an LTT custom. I'd call it an Apex Custom. 🤣
Well, if you want to get technical about it. LTT took on the liability of assembling the "New" fire control system and filing the additional FET for the remanufacture, so it's their build. But I get your thought on it too.

If curious / inquisitive about Langdon Tactical's other work not mentioned and can find no other info on other work done on their website or elsewhere, contact LT and ask them? I sure would. Best advice and info is usually from originators. Am sure they'd be more than happy to respond to a present or possible future customer by either email or phone?
In present virus scenario, patience may help?
I agree 100%. Sadly most of our society wants to ask the internet as opposed to going to the source. This is why I personally spend so much time on Forums and Groups answering questions. Misinformation spreads faster and farther than true information in modern times.

Well, if you want to get technical about it. LTT took on the liability of assembling the "New" fire control system and filing the additional FET for the remanufacture, so it's their build. But I get your thought on it too.
Does the armorers block work with Springfield's line up? I'm interested in the upgraded trigger as well as the ejector. I have other Springfield models that I'd like to use the block with as well.

Thank you!

Does the armorers block work with Springfield's line up? I'm interested in the upgraded trigger as well as the ejector. I have other Springfield models that I'd like to use the block with as well.

Thank you!

It may depend on which armorers block you have, there's quite a few.
Some are more specialized for a specific task or firearm, while some are more universal and generally work for or with many firearms. The purpose of them is to usually hold, fit a firearm or parts of one to help prevent marring or to enable easier removal and or installation of parts. They're sometimes not even needed depending on the task at hand. A block of soft wood or another material can be used instead. For pin removal, as an example, you may be able to use a simple block of wood with a larger hole than the pin drilled in it.

In other words, generally speaking, the armorers blocks help provide a more stable base to work on something so the part doesn't shift, move or so something is easier to work on. Sometimes like a third hand. They're not always needed. Some are made of non marring material, some are not and they all can be made out of various materials. some come with descriptions, some don't and are meant for general purpose use fitting or being able to be used for many purposes.

Another thought, possibly watch a few videos for examples of which armorers block is used or if one is used at all for a specific task? Best of luck to you.

For example of types, Brownells carries quite a few different armorers blocks that can be seen in link below:

It depends on which armorers block you have, there's quite a few.
Some are more specialized for a specific task or firearm, while some are more universal and generally work for or with many firearms. The purpose of them is to usually hold, fit a firearm or parts of one to help prevent marring or to enable easier removal and or installation of parts. They're sometimes not even needed depending on the task at hand. A block of soft wood or another material can be used instead. For pin removal, as an example, you may be able to use a simple block of wood with a larger hole than the pin drilled in it.

In other words, generally speaking, the armorers blocks help provide a more stable base to work on something so the part doesn't shift, move or so something is easier to work on. Sometimes like a third hand. They're not always needed. Some are made of non marring material, some are not and they all can be made out of various materials. some come with descriptions, some don't and are meant for general purpose use fitting or being able to be used for many purposes.

Another thought, possibly watch a few videos for examples of which armorers block is used or if one is used at all for a specific task? Best of luck to you.

For example of types, Brownells carries quite a few different armorers blocks that can be seen in link below:

thanks, I'll check them out. Apex makes a block and since I'm ordering a the trigger and ejector from them I thought might as well get the block if it'll fit the hellcat or my xd-m elites.

It may depend on which armorers block you have, there's quite a few.

He's specifically referring to this one, which we developed for the M&P nearly 10 years ago.

Back