testtest

1..st time at an outdoor range today

Old_Me

Ronin
as the title says.

my buddy and i went to the state land management gun range. free to state residents, and was put together and as far as i have been told, updated with federal monies. (actually kinda strange, given that this state is as anti gun as can be)

2 sides to this range, one side, hand guns, and i believe 50 yards, the other side rifles, and 100 yards.

sad thing however, is that the last day for this season, is Sept 30th.

so my buddy and i only have one more time to go there, hopefully next week.

whole different shooting experience, as i have been shooting a lot of reloaded ammo, and get choked shooting inside.

also too, i am somewhat spoiled that the gun club i belong to, is literally 7 minutes from my house, and the public range is like 20 minutes away.

this state owned range, is like 40 minutes away, down some country back roads, with scattered houses.

the state issues permits, that are good for 5 years, which is good too.

they also have an archery set up, and clay pigeon area.

those of you that ordinarily shoot outdoors, i can "see", the benefits and enjoyment of it all.

but here, they are limited to the changing of the clocks, darkness, and of course the weather, even though, the entire area for both sides, is under a roof.

and no time limit, only the amount of ammo......is your limit.

as the title says.

my buddy and i went to the state land management gun range. free to state residents, and was put together and as far as i have been told, updated with federal monies. (actually kinda strange, given that this state is as anti gun as can be)

2 sides to this range, one side, hand guns, and i believe 50 yards, the other side rifles, and 100 yards.

whole different shooting experience, as i have been shooting a lot of reloaded ammo, and get choked shooting inside.

also too, i am somewhat spoiled that the gun club i belong to, is literally 7 minutes from my house, and the public range is like 20 minutes away.

this state owned range, is like 40 minutes away, down some country back roads, with scattered houses.

those of you that ordinarily shoot outdoors, i can "see", the benefits and enjoyment of it all.

but here, they are limited to the changing of the clocks, darkness, and of course the weather, even though, the entire area for both sides, is under a roof.

I use to belong to an indoor/outdoor range, multiple stations, but got tired of the drive.

I have belonged to an outdoor range for years 3-4 minutes from the house, right in town, but it only allows 1 shooter at a time, 25, 50, 100 & 200 yd stations. When I was still working it was always hard to get on the range on the weekends or before dark. Now that I'm retired it's pretty easy during the week. When the snow starts blowing I do have 2, pay by the hour, indoor ranges 20 minutes away.

I do like the outdoor range much better than the indoor, listening to the big fans sucking all the exhaust out.

I use to belong to an indoor/outdoor range, multiple stations, but got tired of the drive.

I have belonged to an outdoor range for years 3-4 minutes from the house, right in town, but it only allows 1 shooter at a time, 25, 50, 100 & 200 yd stations. When I was still working it was always hard to get on the range on the weekends or before dark. Now that I'm retired it's pretty easy during the week. When the snow starts blowing I do have 2, pay by the hour, indoor ranges 20 minutes away.

I do like the outdoor range much better than the indoor, listening to the big fans sucking all the exhaust out.
i too am retired and i go during the week. the weekends are usually full and very busy, and of course more chances of an accident to happen. plus, i don't feel that me being there is "right", when so many others can only go on the weekends.

i don't wanna take away from thier practice and fun.

the private club i belong to, is of course a yearly fee. the public range i go to, has 3 levels of membership, and that too is yearly, but i "bought" 3 years worth, this past spring, and that is already "paid in full", with the many visits i have made so far, so i have like 2.4 years(?? give or take) for free now.

yeah, the fans are loud, and the incredible noise from the high powered guns/rifles is too much, but this is what double ear protection is all about.

as the title says.

The club I belong to is 8 miles down the backroads from my house and has multiple ranges. And more importantly multiple virtually unused shotgun ranges. I absolutely can't stand shooting at indoor ranges. And I will shoot year round even in the dead of the terrible STL winter because I carry year round.

With only 1 shooter at a time allowed you tend to help each other out. I was shooting pistols one day from 25 yds. A young boy (16yo) pulled in with his mom driving looking pretty anxious. He said he only had a little time to sight in his new scope before his mom had to drop him off at work. I told him go ahead and I stepped back behind the 50 yd shooting table.

As hard and quick as he was trying he wasn't hitting any paper and was starting to look confused and anxious. After a little bit I interrupted him and asked if he needed a little help. Long story short, he agreed. I told him to get up and let's walk up closer to the target and shoot. He looked puzzled and asked, "Am I allowed to do that?" Lol ... so from 10 yds we found where his bullets were going. Dialed the scope in some, we walked back to 20 or so and repeated. By the time we got back to the 50 yd station he was sitting doen relaxed, squeezing the trigger and hitting bullseyes. The kid was a good shot, he just never started from scratch sighting in a scope before.

Happy as can be, he quickly packed up and was running to his mom's car to go to work. I don't know where he works (or his name either lol) but I know he had a happy shift that day.

Now ... if only I could shoot that good ... ugh!

We have one outdoor range for this whole part of Arkansas and it's about an hour away in the middle of nowhere. And, if you don't get there at the crack of dawn, be ready to wait an hour or two to shoot. So, I make do with the indoor range about 15 minutes from my house. It's only 26 yards max on the rifle range but the handgun range is very nice, all automated and they keep it very clean and cool where you don't burn up while you're shooting. My DREAM is to someday live out in the county instead of inside city limits so I can build a rifle/pistol lane on some land and shoot whenever and however much I want.

Having lived and grown up in the country , I have never shot at an indoor range. In fact I don't know of any indoor ranges near me ( within a 100 miles ) and probably wouldn't go to one anyway.

It was nice to be able to make a great backstop on my property and step out the back door anytime I wanted to shoot. Since I moved to town I had to join a local outdoor shooting range.

The club I belong to is 8 miles down the backroads from my house and has multiple ranges. And more importantly multiple virtually unused shotgun ranges. I absolutely can't stand shooting at indoor ranges. And I will shoot year round even in the dead of the terrible STL winter because I carry year round.
originally, i did not even know this free state range existed, until the guy that i buy my reloaded ammo from, told me.

then it became a matter of things getting me side tracked, with the house, kids, grand kids, etc. so the more "local" spots were easier.

i wish now, that i lived in a mre tempered all year long, weather area, to really take full benefits of the cleaner air, rather than the clouds of god knows what i inhale at the indoor ranges.

Wow.

90% (internet statistic, made up on the spot) of my shooting has been outdoors; in fact, I’d been shooting for over 20+ years before I ever shot at an indoor range…

Prefer outdoor, anytime, every time.
Love your statistic lol!

There is something to be said for the indoor ranges when you have 3 feet of snow and the winds are howling at 25 mph. Not much fun trying to get back and forth between the target to the shooting table.

We have one outdoor range for this whole part of Arkansas and it's about an hour away in the middle of nowhere. And, if you don't get there at the crack of dawn, be ready to wait an hour or two to shoot. So, I make do with the indoor range about 15 minutes from my house. It's only 26 yards max on the rifle range but the handgun range is very nice, all automated and they keep it very clean and cool where you don't burn up while you're shooting. My DREAM is to someday live out in the county instead of inside city limits so I can build a rifle/pistol lane on some land and shoot whenever and however much I want.
my "dream" is to hit the Power Ball, or Mega Millions, buy some land, build at the very least 3 houses on it for my family, and somewhere, underground, build a range......with tunnels connecting the houses.

no noise, no neighbors to disturb, and with the tunnels, my wife will NEVER find me...!!!!

Love your statistic lol!

There is something to be said for the indoor ranges when you have 3 feet of snow and the winds are howling at 25 mph. Not much fun trying to get back and forth between the target to the shooting table.
funny how in the winter, my indoor ranges are heated, and in the summer, no a/c.......funny, cuz the heat gets sucked up just as easily as the a/c would..!!!!

my "dream" is to hit the Power Ball, or Mega Millions, buy some land, build at the very least 3 houses on it for my family, and somewhere, underground, build a range......with tunnels connecting the houses.

no noise, no neighbors to disturb, and with the tunnels, my wife will NEVER find me...!!!!
Ok, I like your idea much better than mine, so I want an underground range now, too....lol

The indoor range I visit at times really has strict ammo rules, no magnums, no 10mm, no hollow points, no rifles or rifle style pistols, they just started allowing .22lr, been there just a few times, to many restrictions for me, I just now go to my club range.
that's like the private club. i cannot take any magnums.

but all other calibers of pistols are ok.

hollow points are allowed, just not steel core ammo

originally, i did not even know this free state range existed, until the guy that i buy my reloaded ammo from, told me.

then it became a matter of things getting me side tracked, with the house, kids, grand kids, etc. so the more "local" spots were easier.

i wish now, that i lived in a mre tempered all year long, weather area, to really take full benefits of the cleaner air, rather than the clouds of god knows what i inhale at the indoor ranges.
Well as I said, you carry year round in all kinds of weather, therefore you should train year round in all kinds of weather. You could also stick to the outdoor ranges during temperate seasons and only shoot indoors if it's rainy or cold.

Wow.

90% (internet statistic, made up on the spot) of my shooting has been outdoors; in fact, I’d been shooting for over 20+ years before I ever shot at an indoor range…

Prefer outdoor, anytime, every time.

Them's pretty good stats. I can one up ya though. In over 40 years of shooting the only time I have ever shot at an indoor range was when I was Glock shopping and ended up with an XD. I tried them all before I went somewhere else and bought the one I liked. I paid for an hour but I used about 15 minutes. In short, it sucked.

I also don't like ranges that have "Range masters" and multiple wierdos I don't know and I gotta stop shooting cause some **** on lane 6 didn't attach his target solidly and flashing lights to tell me when the range is clear and blah, blah, blah. Frankly, if I'm not training with someone or teaching someone to shoot I very much prefer to be all alone. " You're all alone now Wales". Yeah, that's correct and I plan to stay that way.

Back