testtest

Leaving a Position of Safety

The focal point of this excellent article is near the end:
“The lesson for the armed defender is that you should never enter any situation with a firearm that you wouldn’t enter without it.”

I would only change one thing - I’d make it say “…you should never knowingly enter any situation…” etc etc.
Apologies - Just nitpicking a bit. Not trying to get anything cranked up ( esp with all the cranks here, Lol !)

The focal point of this excellent article is near the end:
“The lesson for the armed defender is that you should never enter any situation with a firearm that you wouldn’t enter without it.”

I would only change one thing - I’d make it say “…you should never knowingly enter any situation…” etc etc.
Apologies - Just nitpicking a bit. Not trying to get anything cranked up ( esp with all the cranks here, Lol !)

You should change 2 things. The other being " In defense of someone else".

Your daughter's boyfriend lost his last screw and is holding her at gunpoint in their apartment and she manages to secretly get a text message out to you. What are you going to do then?

Without being all dramatic, I feel that these matters often boil down do just a few issues. Those issues are the choice between acting on the emotion of the moment and acting in their best self interest. The question I would ask myself is : what must I do?" Must I go outside to confront a problem? Must I go down the street to interject myself into a problem? Must I enter a potentially hazardous space in search of an intruder? Now.. there can be circumstances where something has overcome the consideration for my own personal safety. A child in danger, a family member in danger, something I care about more than myself. Honestly though, this is not often the case. Emotion seems to be the driving force ( most of the time), rather than necessity or prudence.

People may need to consider that they are not usually in control over where things go. When a person decides to CONFRONT any adverse condition, they might want to consider that the very worst might happen. I would simply ask myself if the potential for the worst to happen is worth me sticking my nose in it.

The lesson for the armed defender is that you should never enter any situation with a firearm that you wouldn’t enter without it.”

I understand the "spirit " of this saying but I would not consider this in the literal sense. Sure, I am not going to walk down a dark alley at 3am simply because I am armed when obviously I would not walk down the alley at 3am unarmed. That said, being armed does offer some capabilities that are greatly diminished while unarmed. I probably would not confront an active shooter if I were unarmed but certainly that same consideration might change if I were armed. Being armed does make a difference and does exist as an element to be factored. Whether or not I have a parachute has quite alot to do with my decision to jump out of failing aircraft.

Amen, Hans…
Anybody remember Treyvon? Even worse - called his girlfriend instead of 911 when he thought he was being stalked…or some such.
Time is the enemy here. You gotta ask yourself how much time does my daughter have ? It's easy to say a lot of things, but when it's your kid I am betting you aren't just going to call the cops and sit on the living room couch biting your nails. I know I'm not.

Time is the enemy here. You gotta ask yourself how much time does my daughter have ? It's easy to say a lot of things, but when it's your kid I am betting you aren't just going to call the cops and sit on the living room couch biting your nails. I know I'm not.
Good point Bob… but let’s remember, the original article wasn’t about a distress call from your daughter (or anyone else). Or rescuing someone you honestly believe is in imminent danger. It’s more along the lines of voluntarily leaving a safe place and entering into a situation where your armed presence isn’t necessary and results in a death.
As always, there are nuances & circumstances particular to the specific event…

Good point Bob… but let’s remember, the original article wasn’t about a distress call from your daughter (or anyone else). Or rescuing someone you honestly believe is in imminent danger. It’s more along the lines of voluntarily leaving a safe place and entering into a situation where your armed presence isn’t necessary and results in a death.
As always, there are nuances & circumstances particular to the specific event…
Yeah I know. I was merely responding to a couple comments that were vague as far as what they were referring to. Making the blanket statement " Never leave a place of safety for a place of danger", doesn't cover my thoughts on the subject.

Unless that apartment is next door to me, yeah, the cops will likely get there sooner, at least around here.

My daughter lives in a house I own about 400 yards down the street.

Another consideration, depending again on where you live, there is a very real probability that I am more qualified to rescue my daughter than a cop with an 18 month police academy training resume.

At any rate, there's no way my kid can be in danger and me just sit here. In the end, that's my point. I will put my life in danger and threat of death to protect my kid.

My daughter lives in a house I own about 400 yards down the street.

Another consideration, depending again on where you live, there is a very real probability that I am more qualified to rescue my daughter than a cop with an 18 month police academy training resume.

At any rate, there's no way my kid can be in danger and me just sit here. In the end, that's my point. I will put my life in danger and threat of death to protect my kid.
…that is perfectly understandable bro. My only advice- fwiw - besure you or your wife (?) is thumbing the numbers “911” while your headed that way.
Hope the need never occurs, by the way!

I think the conclusion from the article is that lawyers are dirty rotten SOB's who love to use sophistry to manipulate juries into believing the good guys are the bad guys. In the first two incidents described, the defenders made serious errors, but they weren't deliberate acts of murder. They were just scared people trying to deal with a situation thrust upon them. Lesser charges would seem appropriate. In the third incident, the "victim" was an active shooter stopped by a man trying to protect himself and his cousin. But the prosecutor sure showed him.

Lesson: In the most stressful, chaotic, dangerous and dynamic moment in your life, you may be held to a standard of perfection by jerks who weren't there and have never faced anything like it. Prepare yourself. Learn the lessons offered by the other poor souls who came before you.

Back