testtest

Bear Safety: Parts 1-3

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
While from an Alaska magazine, all these also apply to parts of the West where grizzly bears occur, and would also be useful for the rest of the country where black bears are overly friendly.

Bear Safety Part 1

BearSafety1_FeatImg.jpg

Bear Safety Part 2

BearSafety2_FeatImg-1.jpg

Bear Safety Part 3

BearSafety3_FeatImg.jpg

Never whistle or hum to make noise. Bears are curious and come see what that is. I know first hand, the hard way.

Fly fishing a stream in Alaska 20 yrs ago humming and whisling a tune to make noise. Turned around to see a bear looking at me far, far, to close for comfort.

Alaskan Buddy I was visiting later told me the error of my ways

While from an Alaska magazine, all these also apply to parts of the West where grizzly bears occur, and would also be useful for the rest of the country where black bears are overly friendly.

Bear Safety Part 1

BearSafety1_FeatImg.jpg

Bear Safety Part 2

BearSafety2_FeatImg-1.jpg

Bear Safety Part 3

BearSafety3_FeatImg.jpg
Thanks Talyn,
The bear safety articles you posted are interesting and likely very helpful when around bear country. Some of those same tips and tricks mentioned are also helpful when just at home or camping elsewhere too. For example: Some food storage and refuse tips contained in articles are good to keep in mind almost anywhere. The freezer part comes to mind.

I can't remember if this has already been posted before, but it is an eye opener especially if you live or hunt where grizzlies roam. I doubt that many of us would be able to climb that tree as well as the black bear did. This kind of event would surely suck.

That is seriously F'ed up.

Back