testtest

Traditional Firepower in the Modern Age: The M1A Lineup

I've never been able to afford a genuine SA M1A, but in the early '90 some stars aligned and I was just able to scratch up the whipout for a Polytech "M-14S." Here it is along with my recently purchased Springfield Armory M1A .22 air rifle, which I enjoy shooting in my basement, rain or shine!

M14SM1AAir04.jpg

Never shot an M1A.
Own plenty of FAL’s.
FAL is a consistent 2”-3” moa but rarely less shot group.

rare to put 1” groups with a FAL, just the way the barrels are made.

how does that compare to an M1A?
It depends on the M1A. With some good loads my Loaded PRE can get pretty close to 1 MOA over 5 shots. I'd be pretty upset to get 2-3 MOA, at least at the 500 yard range I frequent.

We used M14's for Drill and Ceremony when I was in the military. So I had always been partial to the platform for sentimental purposes. Bought the Scout Squad about three years ago and absolutely fell in love with it. Having leaned how to shoot on the M-4 platform, I was surprised to learn that I fell in love with the ergonomics of the M1A right out of the box. There is just something about the way it feels for my broad shouldered frame. I have found that this rifle is an absolute tack driver, and enjoy shooting it over my AR-15. Springfield is wise to keep this line going.

It depends on the M1A. With some good loads my Loaded PRE can get pretty close to 1 MOA over 5 shots. I'd be pretty upset to get 2-3 MOA, at least at the 500 yard range I frequent.
My M1A shoots excellent groups. Far better than my FAL’s. Like I said earlier, FAL’s were never made for precision. Though my para FAL with a Steyr made barrel shoots 1” groups, which is the best I have seen. M1a still outshoots it though

wish we had a 500 yd range around here, all the ones close to me are 200 yds. unless I could get on the base at Camp Lejeune there I think they have one that goes out to 1,000 yds

Back