testtest

Looking for an EDC

Hey, XDman and everyone, I'm Brian, and this is my first post here on the forum. I'm looking for an EDC/CCW. Which Springfield would you all suggest?
Welcome aboard B !

I don’t carry everyday (yet) but I’m looking at Ronin EMP as a possibility from Springfield. If you want to go the more compact route. I am a big 1911 fan.

I am also considering a Wilson EDC X9 (if I can stand the price).

You’ll get plenty of good advice here. But can u narrow down some of your parameters, such as full size, compact or sub-compact? Caliber u prefer? Is hi capacity a bigger deal ?

Best regards,
T Wave

A few questions to ask yourself first. What do you shoot best, a full sized, carry sized, or compact pistol? Many folks shoot better with full or mid sized pistols, but keep in mind they are not as concealable as a compact or subcompact. How you intend to carry the gun helps in making this choice. I personally like a full sized gun because I shoot it better, but then I am 6'5" and dress around my gun. If you want a real hideout this may not be for you.

What caliber do you prefer? Your choices are generally 9mm, .40, 10mm, or .45. 9mm seems to win out for recoil management, but some folks want a bigger bang and bigger bullet, which gives you a tad bit more recoil. Depends on what you are comfortable with.

If magazine capacity is a concern for you, smaller calibers will give you more capacity. I personally like a single stack .45, because, well, how many times do you intend to miss? But it's individual choice and what you are comfortable with.

Do you want an all metal pistol, or is a polymer frame your cup of tea?

And do you want a single action or double action pistol? I personally like a 1911 single action only gun, but many do not like a gun that is carried cocked and locked. But there is a different learning curve on a 1911 type pistol than with double actions.

Once you answer these questions, the knowledgeable folks here will be able to help you zero in on choices.

The best EDC is the one you will wear day in and day out. It may change according to the weather or the clothes you wear. I go small (.380) in the summer and heavier in the winter (9 mm). I've adopted smaller striker fired pistols beginning around 2012. While I have a 1911 and a 629, I do not use them for EDC. You have a lot to consider, do not be bullied or shamed into something that doesn't work for you. My 2 cents.

I used to carry the original XD sub compact but now it's the Hellcat. I absolutely LOVE my XDM Elite but it's huge and the red dot makes it even bigger. Depending on how familiar you are and whether or not you have any training, I'd consider a DA like Beretta PX4 Storm Compact Carry, purely for safety reasons. That would also depend on whether or not you even like DA pistols. There are plenty of things to consider here, many of which have been mentioned. Size, caliber, mag capacity, metal/polymer, etc.
Go with what you're most comfortable with and what feels good. Of course, proficiency goes without saying (though I just said it).

Hey, XDman and everyone, I'm Brian, and this is my first post here on the forum. I'm looking for an EDC/CCW. Which Springfield would you all suggest?
for me, i carry a S/A Hellcat. i like the compactness of it, and the 15 rd magazine.

i like "light weight" since i am an older guy, so anything like a 1911, would be a bit too much for me.

what you end up buying and carrying, is purely up to you, and i can assure you that, you will get 1,345,223,895,142,009, 243 answers from all 225 of us.......:LOL:

17457448-1890-4BB4-83E8-83C8CF895FC2.gif

Is there a local instructor or school that offers a novice/beginner-level class that gives the students a wide-ranging exposure to different modern defensive handguns, @Brian1965 ?

If you have this type of training class/school in your area, it would be very much worth your while to enroll in one, at this juncture in your shooting/concealed-carry path. :)

For example one local school - the one that I try to send my just-starting-off friends to - brings several large Pelican cases full of sample firearms to their classes that are designed for beginning shooters. They also offer these guns as very reasonably priced rentals for use with any of their tiered training classes thereafter, for shooters who want to "try before they buy." These pictures were taken off their Facebook page (Commence FireARMS Training, Cleveland, Ohio - and no, I have absolutely no affiliation with them nor stand to benefit in any way from this recommendation :) )......

1640106584171.png
1640106594763.png

^ Same table, from one end to the other. And as you can see, it's quality guns - Glock, Sig, Beretta, S&W, Walther, Ruger, etc. This is c.2011, and I know (from having taken other classes with them) that they've added more in the intervening years.

Why is it important to get your hands on these guns?

The one you like and shoot best...

^ Because as @Sld1959 , @Keystone19250 , and @straydoglogic noted, due to natural variances in our anatomy and how that "fits" various parameters of the firearm's physical construct and design, there will naturally be guns that we each shooter "better" or "worse," naturally, without having put any thought or even skill into the equation.

While it is absolutely true that the distillation of shooting skills is the art of an undisturbed sight package through the break of the trigger, it's worth noting that even without aiming at all, at the typically short distances involved in civilian defensive shootings, "aiming" in the traditional sights-on-target sense is something that is likely as *not* being performed by most such shooters. With this in-mind, getting yourself as high on the power curve as you can, particularly if this gun is your first gun (and especially so if it going to be your only gun - be it for a while or even permanently), the ability to shoot with it effectively, instinctively, is something to be paid mind to.

Similarly, as many above have mentioned, assuring that you are able to effectively manipulate (i.e. operate the safety mechanism[ s] of, easily reach the critical operating controls, and that you are able to effectively reload the firearm and perhaps even be able to effectively remediate stoppages) the firearm will be important, too. In most cases, particularly with newer firearms owners, having someone who is able to take you through these considerations - like a vetted instructor or a trusted school - can help tremendously.

If you can get your hands on your perspective handguns, that's half the battle, right there. Much like buying a car blind versus after having sat in one on the showroom floor or at a car-show, there's so much that a hands-on experience will be able to put into perspective for you that any level of academic thinking or blissful daydreaming simply will not. And similar to test-driving that vehicle, if you can get out to the range to shoot the guns, that can *really* either help you settle your decision - or make you reconsider it completely. Just like that test-drive, a live-fire session will show you how the gun behaves dynamically in your hands...things that may not be obvious to you just upon handling the gun may immediately assert themselves, as you're shooting. And just like how a more experienced driver may be able to determine what he/she may like more or less about the car from just sitting in it, stationary, while less experienced drivers may need some road-time before they can figure out the car's shortcomings, handing a gun versus shooting it can do the same, too.

Finally, in terms of every day carry, @HayesGreener and @youngolddude 's posts contain some excellent wisdom that's won through hard experience.

Here, prepare to be flexible, and be willing to listen to both your body as well as the recommendations of others, so that you can allow your gear (and even your selection of weapons) to naturally evolve as your needs change and/or as you find better alternatives. @BassCliff , who is a member here, is a dedicated enthusiast who started off his journey by - get this! - obtaining his CALIFORNIA o_O CCW - https://www.xdtalk.com/threads/basscliffs-ca-ccw-adventures-carry-or-bust-success.451457/

As they say, that ain't hay.

And soon thereafter, he started a still-ongoing thread about his journey into the legal concealed-carry lifestyle -

^ Understand that as you go, you'll likely need or want to make changes, too. Don't let your choices today blind you -or, conversely- marry you to any piece of gear or doctrine. Be ready to evolve and improve, because, brother, we -ALL- did, and have continued to do so since our first days of EDC, too, be that 10 days, 10 weeks, 10 months, or 10 years. :)

Last edited:
Hey Brian, welcome to the forum! It's a good one with lots of good people and things to do.
On your choice of handgun? XD model's are all good handguns. Usually go within your means with purchase point and best you can afford. But? It's a personal choice. - And, thinking about what you want one for? There's usually good and better handguns available when thinking about purpose. Barrel length has much to do with a choice. Generally, the longer the barrel, the less recoil. A good starting point with them is what feels good in your hand as far as feel, not everyone has the same needs or hands. Are you right handed or a darned lefty? - Am kidding on lefties. Weight's important too for various reasons like comfort and recoil.

Caliber's important too. 9mm and 45ACP ammo are usually more available, usually more manageable, effective and priced more economically.

After that? The list can, could go on into features of sights, functions, etc. And, then there's carry position and holsters. There's many common choices on both. One important thing to think about too, is the more someone strays from a stock HG or handgun with various accessories like lights and lasers or optics, the more involved holsters can become in finding the right one for your intended use. Best of luck on your choice!

Is there a local instructor or school that offers a novice/beginner-level class that gives the students a wide-ranging exposure to different modern defensive handguns, @Brian1965 ?

If you have this type of training class/school in your area, it would be very much worth your while to enroll in one, at this juncture in your shooting/concealed-carry path. :)

For example one local school - the one that I try to send my just-starting-off friends to - brings several large Pelican cases full of sample firearms to their classes that are designed for beginning shooters. They also offer these guns as very reasonably priced rentals for use with any of their tiered training classes thereafter, for shooters who want to "try before they buy." These pictures were taken off their Facebook page (Commence FireARMS Training, Cleveland, Ohio - and no, I have absolutely no affiliation with them nor stand to benefit in any way from this recommendation :) )......

View attachment 23385View attachment 23386

^ Same table, from one end to the other. And as you can see, it's quality guns - Glock, Sig, Beretta, S&W, Walther, Ruger, etc. This is c.2011, and I know (from having taken other classes with them) that they've added more in the intervening years.

Why is it important to get your hands on these guns?

^ Because as @Sld1959 , @Keystone19250 , and @straydoglogic noted, due to natural variances in our anatomy and how that "fits" various parameters of the firearm's physical construct and design, there will naturally be guns that we each shooter "better" or "worse," naturally, without having put any thought or even skill into the equation.

While it is absolutely true that the distillation of shooting skills is the art of an undisturbed sight package through the break of the trigger, it's worth noting that even without aiming at all, at the typically short distances involved in civilian defensive shootings, "aiming" in the traditional sights-on-target sense is something that is likely as *not* being performed by most such shooters. With this in-mind, getting yourself as high on the power curve as you can, particularly if this gun is your first gun (and especially so if it going to be your only gun - be it for a while or even permanently), the ability to shoot with it effectively, instinctively, is something to be paid mind to.

Similarly, as many above have mentioned, assuring that you are able to effectively manipulate (i.e. operate the safety mechanism[ s] of, easily reach the critical operating controls, and that you are able to effectively reload the firearm and perhaps even be able to effectively remediate stoppages) the firearm will be important, too. In most cases, particularly with newer firearms owners, having someone who is able to take you through these considerations - like a vetted instructor or a trusted school - can help tremendously.

If you can get your hands on your perspective handguns, that's half the battle, right there. Much like buying a car blind versus after having sat in one on the showroom floor or at a car-show, there's so much that a hands-on experience will be able to put into perspective for you that any level of academic thinking or blissful daydreaming simply will not. And similar to test-driving that vehicle, if you can get out to the range to shoot the guns, that can *really* either help you settle your decision - or make you reconsider it completely. Just like that test-drive, a live-fire session will show you how the gun behaves dynamically in your hands...things that may not be obvious to you just upon handling the gun may immediately assert themselves, as you're shooting. And just like how a more experienced driver may be able to determine what he/she may like more or less about the car from just sitting in it, stationary, while less experienced drivers may need some road-time before they can figure out the car's shortcomings, handing a gun versus shooting it can do the same, too.

Finally, in terms of every day carry, @HayesGreener and @youngolddude 's posts contain some excellent wisdom that's won through hard experience.

Here, prepare to be flexible, and be willing to listen to both your body as well as the recommendations of others, so that you can allow your gear (and even your selection of weapons) to naturally evolve as your needs change and/or as you find better alternatives. @BassCliff , who is a member here, is a dedicated enthusiast who started off his journey by - get this! - obtaining his CALIFORNIA o_O CCW - https://www.xdtalk.com/threads/basscliffs-ca-ccw-adventures-carry-or-bust-success.451457/

As they say, that ain't hay.

And soon thereafter, he started a still-ongoing thread about his journey into the legal concealed-carry lifestyle -

^ Understand that as you go, you'll likely need or want to make changes, too. Don't let your choices today blind you -or, conversely- marry you to any piece of gear or doctrine. Be ready to evolve and improve, because, brother, we -ALL- did, and have continued to do so since our first days of EDC, too, be that 10 days, 10 weeks, 10 months, or 10 years. :)
My guess is all those guns are yours.

exactly. Plain old XD 9mm.
Brian you should be very happy with your XD 9mm it is a tried and true proven hand gun that will give you many’s years and rounds of ammunition fun.
The next thing you will need to think about is a decent holster however before you go down that rabbit hole find a range near you and if Your inclined takes some classes on firearm maintenance and some that will get you started honing your shooting skills.
Don’t hesitate asking questions on the forum, it is packed full of very knowledgeable people.
Welcome to the shooting sports.

Last edited:
Back