testtest

Looking for an EDC

....I have had the same trial and error type of thing, shoot it before you buy it is always good advice, when you can. Not that I mind having a few others/extras laying around in the safe, but it can get pricey, especially if you buy the holster and extras.

^ Ayup......

Getting lucky and getting that Goldilocks combo right off the bat is much more uncommon than folks would lead newer shooters to believe.

For the vast majority of us who are truly committed to EDC, it's a long, continuing, and sometimes expensive learning process......

^ Ayup......

Getting lucky and getting that Goldilocks combo right off the bat is much more uncommon than folks would lead newer shooters to believe.

For the vast majority of us who are truly committed to EDC, it's a long, continuing, and sometimes expensive learning process......
yup, like which holster to get, style, brand,

never enough space in a closet to keep'em all......

decide on 1 maybe 2 guns, tops, then settle on them.

@ghosttwofive sooo does that mean there is a 43x with holster and gear going cheap for the holidays? 😂😂
J/K hope you can find a use/person for that. I have had the same trial and error type of thing, shoot it before you buy it is always good advice, when you can. Not that I mind having a few others/extras laying around in the safe, but it can get pricey, especially if you buy the holster and extras.
LOL, I made a deal straight across at a gun show for a Gen 3 Glock 30S/SF with night sights that I really like. I think I took a bit of a loss but it's one of those hard won lesson type things. I had actually shot the Glock 48 prior to buying the 43X. I shot the 48 well enough, but the longer barrel seemed to help control the recoil and I seemed to be able to get a bit of a better grip, but my plan was always to buy the 43X due to it's smaller length for max concealment. Nothing wrong with the 43X, it's a very nice handgun. Loaded up with the Shield Arms S15 mags, it's a formidable concealed carry platform. A nice side note, I didn't go over budget on Christmas presents this year, so got permission from the boss to buy myself a Christmas present this Friday when I get paid, going to pick up a new Gen 5 Glock 19. Got a pretty good deal going at my LGS and they're running a sale on Christmas Eve. I almost went with the Springfield XDM elite 9mm, the one that has the 20-round mag, but the handle seems a bit large for concealed carry. I carried a Glock 19 for many years as my main EDC so I'm thinking it's time to try out the Gen 5 version.

As long as you buy from a reputable manufacturer, it will retain most of its value in case you made a choice you cannot live with. Holsters are even more highly subjective and premium leather can be expensive. I think many of us end up with a box of holsters and most will lose a chunk of value once you drive them off the lot.
For the newbie, it can be confusing out there. Many articles rarely find anything wrong with their test subject and online reviews can be fake. I tend to rely on people I know or from real experience from forums such as this.

Mirroring some of the posts from earlier, carry what you're comfortable shooting and what you can shoot accurately. I recently made about a $750 screw up by thinking the Glock 43X was going to be the end all be all of any EDC handgun I'd ever EDC'd...lol. I set it up with night sights, bought four of the Shield Arms G2 15 round mags, a very nice IWB carry holster and some Talon grips...............then I took it to the range and cut the holy hell out of the left side webbing of my hand with slide bite. I put the cart before the horse thinking I would be able to shoot the 43X as well as I have any other Glock I've ever owned. Turns out my Sasquatch sized hands are way too large and there's just not enough real estate on the 43X for me to get a good grip no matter how I hold it......so, find something your accurate with and is comfortable to shoot, lesson learned on my part, something I've been shooting long enough where I ought to have known better..lol
And in this week's episode of "I don't understand how my own brain works!" Here's a quick update on gun shopping last Friday Christmas Eve. All Christmas presents bought and accounted for, all green lights for Christmas chores, my boss at home told me I'd been relatively coherent and good for most of the year and told me to take the rest of the Christmas money, go forth and buy myself a new shiny handgun. Didn't have to be told twice and I didn't want her to change her mind so I was out the door in about 10 seconds after she gave me the go ahead. So, here's where things get weird, I had full intentions, FULL intentions of buying a new Glock 19 Gen 5. After the above mentioned SNAFU with the 43X I decided to go with what I know......here's how that worked out.

So I get to my favorite LCS, they have plenty of Glock 19 Gen 5s in stock, then.....right next to them is....a couple of brand new G43X 9mms......yes, the gun I just traded off less than a month ago.....so all of a sudden that burr that's been stuck in my brain about getting rid of that 43X suddenly became more than a burr. I kept thinking about how concealable it was, and that maybe I needed to invest a little more time in trying to practice with it, big sasquatch hands or not.......and of course, when I asked if those were the last two, he said they had about five of them in inventory. They had them going for a pretty good price also...about $80 less than the G19 Gen 5. I told myself surely they won't have night sights for the 43X, or the Shield Arms S15 mags, or the Shield Arms mag release, will they? They can't have all of that in stock on Christmas Eve?.........Well, hell, of course they did, even had my favorite night sights, the TFX Pros....plenty of S15 mags and a whole rack full of the SA aluminum mag releases....sigh......I looked at the G19 and the G43X about five times each, they're used to me doing that there...lol. Finally, cursing myself and shaking my head as I told the clerk the weird news....I decided to give the 43X another go around so I bought it, had the TFX Pros installed, switched out the mag release when I got home, ordered the grip plug, some Handleit grips, etc. Kept laughing at myself on the way home for just being weird and not buying the Glock I had planned on but I really want to make the 43X work as a concealed carry gun. I'm going to take it to the range with a bunch of ammo, and maybe I'll do better this time. The Glock 43X is such a good concealed carry platform that I thought it deserved a 2nd chance. Upon telling my better half, she just looked at me and said "Well, as long as that's the one you really wanted, then don't second guess it."

Taking it to the range after work today. I really would like to get just a decent grouping on my first mag, then I'll definitely be willing to give this thing a 2nd day in court. I'm glad I got the Glock 30S/SF out of the trade, it's a great gun and it works nicely concealed, but the Glock 43X just seems like maybe it was me instead of the gun...lol. We'll see. Anyway, again, my eccentricities seem to be getting worse as I approach 50......lol

And in this week's episode of "I don't understand how my own brain works!" Here's a quick update on gun shopping last Friday Christmas Eve. All Christmas presents bought and accounted for, all green lights for Christmas chores, my boss at home told me I'd been relatively coherent and good for most of the year and told me to take the rest of the Christmas money, go forth and buy myself a new shiny handgun. Didn't have to be told twice and I didn't want her to change her mind so I was out the door in about 10 seconds after she gave me the go ahead. So, here's where things get weird, I had full intentions, FULL intentions of buying a new Glock 19 Gen 5. After the above mentioned SNAFU with the 43X I decided to go with what I know......here's how that worked out.

So I get to my favorite LCS, they have plenty of Glock 19 Gen 5s in stock, then.....right next to them is....a couple of brand new G43X 9mms......yes, the gun I just traded off less than a month ago.....so all of a sudden that burr that's been stuck in my brain about getting rid of that 43X suddenly became more than a burr. I kept thinking about how concealable it was, and that maybe I needed to invest a little more time in trying to practice with it, big sasquatch hands or not.......and of course, when I asked if those were the last two, he said they had about five of them in inventory. They had them going for a pretty good price also...about $80 less than the G19 Gen 5. I told myself surely they won't have night sights for the 43X, or the Shield Arms S15 mags, or the Shield Arms mag release, will they? They can't have all of that in stock on Christmas Eve?.........Well, hell, of course they did, even had my favorite night sights, the TFX Pros....plenty of S15 mags and a whole rack full of the SA aluminum mag releases....sigh......I looked at the G19 and the G43X about five times each, they're used to me doing that there...lol. Finally, cursing myself and shaking my head as I told the clerk the weird news....I decided to give the 43X another go around so I bought it, had the TFX Pros installed, switched out the mag release when I got home, ordered the grip plug, some Handleit grips, etc. Kept laughing at myself on the way home for just being weird and not buying the Glock I had planned on but I really want to make the 43X work as a concealed carry gun. I'm going to take it to the range with a bunch of ammo, and maybe I'll do better this time. The Glock 43X is such a good concealed carry platform that I thought it deserved a 2nd chance. Upon telling my better half, she just looked at me and said "Well, as long as that's the one you really wanted, then don't second guess it."

Taking it to the range after work today. I really would like to get just a decent grouping on my first mag, then I'll definitely be willing to give this thing a 2nd day in court. I'm glad I got the Glock 30S/SF out of the trade, it's a great gun and it works nicely concealed, but the Glock 43X just seems like maybe it was me instead of the gun...lol. We'll see. Anyway, again, my eccentricities seem to be getting worse as I approach 50......lol
Congrats on the new ..err.. new again pistol !!

@ghosttwofive - You'd mentioned in that earlier post that your biggest issue was the slide-bite.... I seem to recall that the 43X has a rather unique beavertail area for the Glock series.

Is it *this* small difference that's at the root of your issues with this gun?

I understand that the Storm Grip from Sandstorm Precision would also change the grip angle somewhat - but the beavertail models also should get your hand away from that area.

The other concern would be what you thought of the way the Storm Grip attaches to the gun....

Or possibly consider a grip build-up?

@ghosttwofive - You'd mentioned in that earlier post that your biggest issue was the slide-bite.... I seem to recall that the 43X has a rather unique beavertail area for the Glock series.

Is it *this* small difference that's at the root of your issues with this gun?

I understand that the Storm Grip from Sandstorm Precision would also change the grip angle somewhat - but the beavertail models also should get your hand away from that area.

The other concern would be what you thought of the way the Storm Grip attaches to the gun....

Or possibly consider a grip build-up?
I actually ordered the Sandstorm Precision "short Beavertail" model the day I bought the 43X, I'm hoping that will eliminate the slide bit issue. I'm determined to make the 43X work this time, it ain't the gun that has issues, it's me that has issues with the gun. I've read a few reviews on the Storm grip, no one has said anything about it coming off or not being solid. It looks to connect with heavy duty two sided tape or something like that so I'm hoping that will hold. If the grip doesn't work out, I'll explore other options, the 43X is just too good of a sweet spot between the mag capacity of the G19 and the concealed carry advantage of a thinner handgun. Issues be damned, I'm going to make this one of my EDC weapons...lol

^ I'm not sure what kind of tape they use - but push-come-to-shove, some 3M VHB would do very nicely, I bet.

Let us know how you like it. I'm very interested to hear. :)

^ I'm not sure what kind of tape they use - but push-come-to-shove, some 3M VHB would do very nicely, I bet.

Let us know how you like it. I'm very interested to hear. :)
I'm going to go put about 100 rounds thru it after work. Right now I have some Talon grips and the Sandstorm grip on the way. Once I get it all decked out, I'm going to cut out about 250 rounds of 9mm and take it to the range for a deep dive and see if I can figure out a sweet spot for the grip and where to hold. Again, it's me, not the handgun, I just need to learn to work around that thin frame. It's too nice of a handgun not to use it. So I still have to go back and buy that G19 fifth gen at some point...lol

Back